Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
City Data

Most New Yorkers have a superiority complex and look down on the rest of the world. Read some of the posts on this thread you will see what I mean. I'm not saying that NYC is not a global city or that its not diverse. I'm simply saying that NYC is not the best at everything and even if you agree I'm sure there are many things that you think NYC is the best at when in reality there are other cities that beat NYC in many different categories.
Do you realize that NYC doesn't have to be the best at anything and can still be the #1 city overall?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Do you realize that NYC doesn't have to be the best at anything and can still be the #1 city overall?
Yeah...it's like boiling everything down to minutia... They make the best sharp cheddar cheese in Vermont, you have your own cheddar, but it is inferior to ours!... HA HA HA New York, we showed you now!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
It is proven that NYC is the best city of the world..

News Headlines
That's a poll of a magazine's travel writers, not an objective study. Granted the Atlantic seems to agree, but other sources pick other cities.

The World's 26 Best Cities for Business, Life, and Innovation - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic

According to AskMen Barcelona is the best city in the world to visit.

Barcelona - Top 29 Cities - AskMen

The Economist places Vancouver, Canada as the most liveable city.

Liveability ranking: Where the livin' is easiest | The Economist

Mercer put Vienna on top for 2009 and 2010. They have Honolulu as top US city. They put NYC below Chicago for livability.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

New York City is presumably the best city for you and congrats on that. But it's silly to think NYC or Barcelona or Vienna or Vancouver or Honolulu or Provo are the "best city" in some inarguable way. It just depends on what you want, what you measure, and so forth.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
No one said you had to love it.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Full Sail's not a film school? Wow thats crazy...I guess all my teachers and classes have been off topic for a looooong time lol

But your right its not JUST a film school, its also recording arts, computer animation, design, etc...want to know something funny? Do you know where New York Film Academy sends all their students? Full Sail University!

And yes I have met a Haitian...I live in Florida...I know lots of Haitians actually...probably more then you lol
full sail still isn't a "film school" einstein. and if u live in florida why are u in a ny thread hyping up l.a... lol enjoy that wonderful armpit humid weather in florida weirdo

Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
I have only read up to page 5 but I have to comment. NYC has plenty of competitors. To put down Paris, London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo is absurd and foolish. FYI, NYC along with London and Tokyo are the financial capitals/centers of the world. That's a fact. NYC IS a VERY important city but it isn't the best to everyone. London? Paris? Hong Kong? Tokyo? Shanghai? All of them can compete with NYC. And that's not even all of them.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Ok. I finished. There's so much to say but I just can't. Do you guys not realize that some people don't like NYC? I don't find NYC to be overrated or underrated but it definitely isn't the best to everyone. Just accept the fact!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM

291 posts, read 688,995 times
If New York City is over-rated then every city is over-rated. That is the way I look at it. If you can find bad things to say about New York City then you should be able to find plenty of bad things to say about every city. No place is perfect.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I have only read up to page 5 but I have to comment. NYC has plenty of competitors. To put down Paris, London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo is absurd and foolish. FYI, NYC along with London and Tokyo are the financial capitals/centers of the world. That's a fact. NYC IS a VERY important city but it isn't the best to everyone. London? Paris? Hong Kong? Tokyo? Shanghai? All of them can compete with NYC. And that's not even all of them.
Exactly! NYC isn't the best large city..i'm sure. This isn't to say NYC isn't great, but some people from there seem to think that they themselve are superior to other places. Alot of them don't know how to deal with the fact that they aren't the center of the world.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
No one said you had to love it.
I know, but to me saying any city is "proven as the best city of the world" is silly and arrogant. Liking you can prove such a thing by a magazine poll or even a study. That's what I was responding to there.

I could see saying NYC is the most significant global-city in the world, but saying it or any city is "proven best" just rubs me wrong. It would have been better to say "Time-Out magazine calls it the best city" because that's true and doesn't claim a magazine's opinion as fact. You could even add that Atlantic deal, or others that put NYC as number one, and state "These sources claim NYC as the best city." That's perfectly claim. Acting like opinions are inarguable or facts is unfair and silly.

And I have never really lived in a town or city of more than a 1000, plus I'd never claim any town I lived in as "best." The town I live in now isn't even that great, but it was better than it was I think. Anyway I state all that to make it clear I'm not saying these things to be a partisan for some other city or any city. If someone said the "proven best" line of Seattle, Denver, Oklahoma City, Colorado Springs, Toronto, Paris, Tokyo, or Sydney I'd find that weird as well.

Now in my experience of City v City it's mostly just been New Yorkers, or former New Yorkers, to do the "My high opinion about the city is a fact and must not be disagreed with" thing. So on that basis my opinion is that NYC is overrated here on City v City. In America in general I don't know.

Going by one study I could see saying that in the generalized US NYC might be a bit underrated. According to one study Americans place NYC below Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Phoenix, San Francisco, Tampa, and Washington DC as a place to live. While they have it essentially tied with Chicago, Dallas, and Philadelphia. Americans, in general, do not place NYC very high then. Many might still have an unfair image of NYC as it was during the "Summer of Sam" or "Crack Wars" type era. Or as a place full of annoying Woody Allen wannabes. So maybe that explains some of the over-defensive/over-compensated reaction some New Yorkers have about this subject. I do think it's likely a pretty good city even if I have virtually no interest in it.

For Nearly Half of America, Grass Is Greener Somewhere Else - Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City