Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the most overrated statistic or statistics in regards to a city or town? Is it crime? What about school test scores? Ethnic/racial makeup? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
This would not apply to small towns, but for many cities large enough to be the hubs of metropolitan areas I'd say that the city proper population is a stat which often gives a problematic picture of the phenomenon it measures. Usually the MSA population gives a better idea of how big a city looks and feels, how many buildings, offices, businesses of various sorts, services, etc., the principal city actually contains. This does depend on what the stat is being used for. City officials would find the city proper population more useful for planning a school budget, with schools serving those children who live right in the city, but for many other functions the MSA population would give a better approximation of the number of people who actually use the city.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
ogre, I agree. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread title.

I think the MSA gives a good idea, but sometimes that's even off. Some MSA's abut another MSA shrinking the size and giving a misleading number (look at Philly) and other times, a MSA spans far beyond what it should (I think this is the case for many smaller cities around the nation).

To get a good feel of how big a city is, I think a combination of the Urbanized area and MSA are necessary. For example, the Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc could ALL be considered part of Boston's urban area but the urban area doesn't make up the entirety of the MSA (Same goes for Pawtucket and Cranston and parts of East Providence to Providence RI). In a city like Jacksonville, only the center of the city would be considered the urbanized area while some surrounding towns will be part of the MSA. Combining these two statistics really gives one a better feel for the size of the city.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Proper population. Miami population is a little above 400,000 but does it feel like a city of 400,000? Of course not it feel like your in a city of 5,000,000 which is what it is.
Also honestly crime rates are overrated. They are very important to get me wrong. But if you dont live in the high crime areas and stay out of them and use common sense your probably going to do just fine. I feel that crime rates are a overrated stat for tourist a lot more than for residents since 99% of tourist dont ever need to go to the areas where crime is a problem.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Proper population. Miami population is a little above 400,000 but does it feel like a city of 400,000? Of course not it feel like your in a city of 5,000,000 which is what it is.
Also honestly crime rates are overrated. They are very important to get me wrong. But if you dont live in the high crime areas and stay out of them and use common sense your probably going to do just fine. I feel that crime rates are a overrated stat for tourist a lot more than for residents since 99% of tourist dont ever need to go to the areas where crime is a problem.
Very true and even if you are a resident, it depnds on the city, the time you go through said neighborhoods and so on.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
This would not apply to small towns, but for many cities large enough to be the hubs of metropolitan areas I'd say that the city proper population is a stat which often gives a problematic picture of the phenomenon it measures. Usually the MSA population gives a better idea of how big a city looks and feels, how many buildings, offices, businesses of various sorts, services, etc., the principal city actually contains. This does depend on what the stat is being used for. City officials would find the city proper population more useful for planning a school budget, with schools serving those children who live right in the city, but for many other functions the MSA population would give a better approximation of the number of people who actually use the city.
Yeah, I think if you go by the term Greater "whatever city", that is more representative of the urban area than just the city limits or even the whole metro area.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
I just read statistics on the 20 safest states in the US. In general, New England is the safest region, followed by the Plains. What struck me is that the numbers on rape seem somehow independent from those on other forms of crimes. There are states that are very safe, but which oddly rank among the 20 least safe states when it comes to rape. On the other hand NY and NJ are the safest states regarding rape, while other types of violent crime are more common.

Example: South Dakota
Among the top ten safest states in terms of assault, burglary, murder, robbery, vehicle theft, but at the same time the 13th most dangerous state regarding rape.

I wonder why that is... I guess I would prefer a place where I might be robbed over one where I would have to be worried about the safety of my wife and daughters.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Crime. Most violent crime is specific to a handful of bad neighborhoods and does not represent an entire city.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Miami doesn't have 5,000,000, 100 miles of the Florida coastline does, which includes Miami-Ft lauderdale-Boca Ratan-West Palm Beach.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Miami doesn't have 5,000,000, 100 miles of the Florida coastline does, which includes Miami-Ft lauderdale-Boca Ratan-West Palm Beach.
If you look at the census the Metro area is over 5 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City