Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM

322 posts, read 614,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Now you are blaming NYC for D.C.'s incompetence and China's dishonesty? Somehow you think an economic recovery won't involve Wall Street? Delusions.

If this thread was titled 'Things NY is not the best at' that would be one thing, but instead it's just troll bait.
The fact still stands that NY has created a mystique of false ideas. We all know that NY is a great city and blah blah blah but people give it way more credit then it deserves. I never once said that NY wasn't the financial center for the world. But I will quickly point out that NY does not the cultural center of the United States. It is not the most diverse and integrated city in the country. I say NY is overrated and everyone acts like I'm a horrible troll! But you would be quick to talk trash about any other city for the sake of NY. I'm sorry if I won't stand for the propaganda.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Sooo can we all agree that NYC is also the #1 city americans love to hate?
LMAO yeah right. I'd say that any Southern city is hated more then NY. People hate on the South for no reason at all.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
LMAO yeah right. I'd say that any Southern city is hated more then NY. People hate on the South for no reason at all.
Tough crowd here, folks!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM

286 posts, read 699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
And fashion?
And the UN headquarters?
And 19 million people in the metro area who are not going to all of a sudden dissappear?

You could say the same thing about any city in the world - LA would be nothing without Hollywood. Hong Kong would be nothing without finance. London without finance. Paris without fashion.
Fashion designers and the UN HQ don't constitute a viable taxbase. The fact of the matter is that NYC is probably the least diversified major economy in the US. Also consider that its major industries are about to be rocked (if they haven't already) by major, disruptive change. And...this is further compounded by the fact that the vast majority of people in the NYC metro don't really contribute to the tax base (That includes many so-called white collar professionals.) They may pay taxes but they consume more than they contribute. And that isn't sustainable.

As for LA, it does have Hollywood. And Hollywood, like most media, is destined for the chopping block. But based on actual economic output, LA's bread and butter is still manufacturing and heavy industry. And it's buoyed by good weather, which will always lure people in. But I wouldn't say LA is in an enviable position either.

I always find it ironic that people talk about "rich & powerful world cities" when the most lucrative and important jobs are increasingly based in the suburbs around smaller cities of 5 million or less. Most of the "rich & powerful" talk is bandied about by people who neither in an effort to impress people who are neither. Such is life.

NYC's days as a major center of wealth creation are coming to an end.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,563 times
Dude, you fell for 'Full Sail University''s B.S. sales pitch and now you think that you're going to get a 'Master's' in film from a trade school. I'd say you qualify as a sucker, with little ability to see through propaganda.

I do not trash talk other cities for the sake of boosting NY, I defend SF, Boston, Philly, NY and Baltimore as often as I criticize them (OK not Philly, but hey I live there).

NYC is not overrated. Silly topic, overly broad, draws out the haters. Ergo, troll bait.

Full Sail wants to be a real University, but they still have a lot of 'explaining' to do.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...s-media-design

BUT I don't want to imply that Full Sail is an all-around scam. Clearly not: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...047078,00.html

Still, this is from that Time article: "ull Sail is still subject to the criticism currently directed toward other for-profit schools: that it is expensive, that its credits often don't transfer (for example, Florida State won't accept them) and that the bright future touted by admissions counselors doesn't always materialize."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz1VIlKuvFy

So if Florida State won't even accept their course credits, how real do you think that 'degree' is?

Quote:
The fact still stands that NY has created a mystique of false ideas. We all know that NY is a great city and blah blah blah but people give it way more credit then it deserves. I never once said that NY wasn't the financial center for the world. But I will quickly point out that NY does not the cultural center of the United States. It is not the most diverse and integrated city in the country. I say NY is overrated and everyone acts like I'm a horrible troll! But you would be quick to talk trash about any other city for the sake of NY. I'm sorry if I won't stand for the propaganda.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
It is the cultural center of western civilization, much less the U.S. You are WRONG.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It is the cultural center of western civilization, much less the U.S. You are WRONG.
News Headlines

I guess CNBC is wrong to, huh?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
News Headlines

I guess CNBC is wrong to, huh?
I'm not talking about hick culture for the ignorant masses or diversity. I'm talking about arts/literature/theater/opera/fashion/ etc. You know, things that will actually be remembered 20 years or possibly centuries from when they are created? The only thing which is disputed in this at all is modern film, but where do you think it originated before moving to Los Angeles... Many of your indie/avant garde/etc studios are still in NYC anyway, or Paris, Berlin, etc, while your big blockbuster film stuff is Los Angeles.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not talking about hick culture for the ignorant masses or diversity. I'm talking about arts/literature/theater/opera/fashion etc. You know, things that will actually be remembered 20 years or possibly centuries from when they are created?
not everyone outside NYC lives in a poor town in rural Alabama, you are aware of that right?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
not everyone outside NYC lives in a poor town in rural Alabama, you are aware of that right?
What does this quote have to do with anything? You should look up the definition of hick, it doesn't mean southern or redneck. There are plenty of hicks up in Maine for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City