Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times

Advertisements

Definition of 'not getting it' - anyhow quite a bit of movie making takes place outside of L.A. these days and that's a growing trend. The fact that L.A. hires so many 'artists'... well maybe we should call them 'aritsans'... for film doesn't buy it credibility in any other realm of the arts. A number of Hollywood films lately have been inferior remakes of foreign titles. That tell me that talent is now located elsewhere. Lately, Hollywood is living off of cliche formulas and toilet humor. Maybe the title 'Creative Capital' should be taken away from L.A. after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
So NY hustles what LA creates? So basically what your saying is that NY is the middle man. So why wouldn't LA be the creative capital of the world? They make it but since NY promotes it they get the credit?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What does this quote have to do with anything? You should look up the definition of hick, it doesn't mean southern or redneck. There are plenty of hicks up in Maine for instance.
well according to you everyone outside NY, Chicago, or Philly is the "ignorant masses"

Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM

286 posts, read 699,583 times
Name one important company started in NYC in the last 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
The NYC tax base are not going to get up and walk away anytime soon so there is no reason to even consider such a silly notion.

And consuming more than they contribute? That's not only the case with white-collared professionals/NYC. Why do you think there were so many foreclosures in the south/west, namely California? This is not a pattern limited to NYC yuppies.

As for lucrative and important jobs, please give an example.

And not any time soon buddy.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
See what I'm talking about? I haven't made any insulting comments to you or anyone else on this thread but you come in here turning your nose up at me, my degree, and my opinions. The thing is NY is a dying market (LA as well). Film is moving growing in different cities and studios are moving out of NY and LA and going to new places. I wouldn't want to live in such a racist, ignorant market such as NYs. My "fake degree" is of no concern to you. Your an ignorant, small minded, person.

SN: All my teachers from NY (fake teachers or not) tell us that LA is the biggest and best film market today and it has always been.
This is true. Y'all are starting to be a little rough on her or him.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM

322 posts, read 614,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Definition of 'not getting it' - anyhow quite a bit of movie making takes place outside of L.A. these days and that's a growing trend. The fact that L.A. hires so many 'artists'... well maybe we should call them 'aritsans'... for film doesn't buy it credibility in any other realm of the arts. A number of Hollywood films lately have been inferior remakes of foreign titles. That tell me that talent is now located elsewhere. Lately, Hollywood is living off of cliche formulas and toilet humor. Maybe the title 'Creative Capital' should be taken away from L.A. after all.
All of film and music has been suffering from a lack of creativity and thats more then just Hollywood because NY is to blame as well. Funny thing is now that you've pointed out that Hollywood is dishing out nothing but mindless attempts at blockbuster, can I point out that many of the major studios are based in NY. So it's NY's lack of creativity thats fueling this generation of remakes...NY takes care of the business side and LA takes care of the art form. So when NY tells LA what kind of movies to make and turns out to be a load of garbage why is Hollywood to blame? There goes your ignorance in full swing.

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
well according to you everyone outside NY, Chicago, or Philly is the "ignorant masses"
Frankly this conversation is exhausted. Now show me where I said that, or zip your lip.

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
So, this was really just a NYC vs. LA thread in disguise. Took me a while to catch on. lol. Carry on.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

179 posts, read 402,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
Name one important company started in NYC in the last 25 years.
They've all been in Silicon Valley because all the important companies within the last couple decades have been centered around tech.
That doesn't seem too diversified to me either.

And FYI List of corporations based in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks pretty diverse to me.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not talking about hick culture for the ignorant masses or diversity. I'm talking about arts/literature/theater/opera/fashion/ etc. You know, things that will actually be remembered 20 years or possibly centuries from when they are created? The only thing which is disputed in this at all is modern film, but where do you think it originated before moving to Los Angeles... Many of your indie/avant garde/etc studios are still in NYC anyway, or Paris, Berlin, etc, while your big blockbuster film stuff is Los Angeles.
right there.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
lol.

"Early studios"

"The early studios were located in the New York City area. In December 1908, Edison led the formation of the Motion Picture Patents Company in an attempt to control the industry and shut out smaller producers.[2] The "Edison Trust,” as it was nicknamed, was made up of Edison, Biograph, Essanay Studios, Kalem Company, George Kleine Productions, Lubin Studios, Georges Méliès, Pathé, Selig Studios, and Vitagraph Studios, and dominated distribution through the General Film Company. The Motion Picture Patents Co. and the General Film Co. were found guilty of antitrust violation in October 1915,[3] and were dissolved.[4] Edison Studios were first in West Orange, New Jersey (1892), they were moved to the Bronx, New York (1907). Fox (1909) and Biograph (1906) started in Manhattan, with studios in St George Staten Island. Others films were shot in Fort Lee, New Jersey. The first westerns were filmed at Scott's Movie Ranch. Cowboys and Indians galloped across Fred Scott's movie ranch in South Beach, Staten Island), which had a frontier main street, a wide selection of stagecoaches and a 56-foot stockade. The island provided a serviceable stand-in for locations as varied as the Sahara desert and a British cricket pitch. War scenes were shot on the plains of Grasmere, Staten Island. The Perils of Pauline and its even more popular sequel The Exploits of Elaine were filmed largely on the island. So was the 1906 blockbuster Life of a Cowboy, by Edwin S. Porter. Companies and filming moved to the west coast around 1911." - wikipedia

Quote:
See what I'm talking about? I haven't made any insulting comments to you or anyone else on this thread but you come in here turning your nose up at me, my degree, and my opinions. The thing is NY is a dying market (LA as well). Film is moving growing in different cities and studios are moving out of NY and LA and going to new places. I wouldn't want to live in such a racist, ignorant market such as NYs. My "fake degree" is of no concern to you. Your an ignorant, small minded, person.

SN: All my teachers from NY (fake teachers or not) tell us that LA is the biggest and best film market today and it has always been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City