Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Cities with 'soul' would be DC, NYC (harlem), Philly, Chicago in no particular order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Marvin Gaye
Duke Ellington
Al Jolson
Eva Cassidy
Chuck Brown
Stacy Lattisaw
Johnnie Gill
Mya
Ginuwine
Tank
J. Holiday
DJ Kool
Toni Braxton
Chucky Thompson
Amerie
Raheem DeVaughn
Meshell Ndegeocello

Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why are you still arguing with them? Let them stay in their city and we will stay in ours. We like D.C. for the same reason's most of it's residents like D.C. It's amazing when people talk about transplants because they are by far outnumbered in D.C. proper by it residents which are mainly African American making up 50% of the population. We know all about it's music and style. We know the lingo and the culture. You don't need to explain why you love D.C. to them. They don't know the same city you do. Even Kidphilly who has lived here doesn't know the same city you do. The things people value in life are all subjective. I wonder if KidPhilly has ever been to open mic night at Busboy's and Poets in D.C.? People come from as far as NYC to experience Busboy's and Poets. We value a different lifestyle. You're wasting your time man. Let it go....
I can agree with this. The areas I've liked most in DC are the areas where tourists and transplants mostly don't go. Georgetown is basically shopping mall meets dorm room. Adams Morgan isn't bad, but my favorite place in DC is my friends neighborhood near the Potomac Ave. Metro station. That is real, the DC most outsiders know might be made of plastic. But unfortunately, downtown DC is part of the plastic section. Others have already pointed out the many flaws, the forced artificial nature of it, the boringness of the streetscape. That all can't compare to what was built over three hundred years in Philly and Boston. But you are absolutely right, that the sections of DC most people haven't seen are the real DC, where there is a distinct and vibrant culture.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I gotta see that. Mine is 40
You might have to wait for me to jump 3 times and accumulate

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So, where on Connecticut Ave is the visual boundary of downtown? Have you ever driven north from Connecticut Ave. and K street up Connecticut Ave to this point? Where does the development break to show a boundary?
There is no visible boundary in DC because all of the buildings are THE SAME DAMN HEIGHT!!! What do you not see about that? You have 50 foot row homes than 100 foot office buildings. It's real hard to see where the Downtown begins and stops. As for Philly we have 50 foot row homes and 900 foot office buildings. You see how it's easier to determine where the downtown starts and stops? People associate downtown with TALL BUILDINGS. So why don't you just go ahead and say ALL OF DC IS DOWNTOWN since every building is the same damn height!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
DCfinest, I can't give u Toni Braxton. She's from glen burnie which is all Baltimore.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No doubt! The Nationals were marketing to the Phillies fans. You should also show the buses that came from Philly to DC to party every Friday night. Buses leave DT Philly at 5 p.m. and returns at 5 am.
I've never heard of anyone ever going to DC to party from anywhere... that's just down right laughable. If someone wasn't have a good time in Philly why would anyone in their right mind drive 2 hours to lame DC when they could drive one hour to NYC... or Atlantic City or other Jersey Shore locations. Let's not get into this one again because I'm pretty sure I already proved to you that Philly kicks the living hell out of DC in night life.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Marvin Gaye
Duke Ellington
Al Jolson
Eva Cassidy
Chuck Brown
Stacy Lattisaw
Johnnie Gill
Mya
Ginuwine
Tank
J. Holiday
DJ Kool
Toni Braxton
Chucky Thompson
Amerie
Raheem DeVaughn
Meshell Ndegeocello
This is pathetic. You know your music scene is wack when you include Mya, Ginuwine, Amerie, J. Holiday, Toni Braxton and Chucky Thompson on your list. LOL. Those people either suck as artists or have a questionable connection to DC (Amerie was a military brat and Toni Braxton is from Anne Arundel County). Again, I stand by the statement that more talent has come out of the Philadelphia School for the Creative and Performing Arts than the entire DC Metro area.

If I had to write down a list of all the musicians from Philadelphia, it would probably equal Wilt Chamberlain's lay list. Luckily, Wikipedia has a link. There are so many musicians that you have to click a link to get to the "N through Z" part of the list.

Enjoy!

Category:Musicians from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by BajanYankee; 03-22-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Too bad DC doesn't have a world-renowned opera company. Maybe then you could see something like this in DT DC instead of homeless guys banging on crates.

Opera Company of Philadelphia Flash Mob at Reading Terminal Market - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
As always Bajan TKO's the thread! Nobody is from DC lmao, BUT the great Marvin... But who out of all those people DC'sBum listed are actually from DC and not Maryland? DC most certainly doesn't want to start a pissing contest about which city has produced greater Soul music...or any genre of music for that matter..Stick to the monuments and museums..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City