Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It sure beats meat packing doesn't it Rocko! i'm sorry that was a low blow to the good people of Philly.

That wasnt in CC; but you may enjoy the beef at potbellys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Philadelphia broke the world's record for the longest Soul Train Line. Ever. DC is way too uptight to ever pull off anything like this.

Mayor Nutter kicks off Soul Train Line at Art Museum - YouTube

That's cool. But this is cooler!

Washington, DC Snowball fight: Dupont Circle: Snowmageddon 2010, February 6 - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Philadelphia broke the world's record for the longest Soul Train Line. Ever. DC is way too uptight to ever pull off anything like this.

Mayor Nutter kicks off Soul Train Line at Art Museum - YouTube
I know you aren't putting Philadelphia up against Chocolate City trying to compare Soul!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me?

Philadelphia needs to stick to Irish Pubs and leave soul to Chocolate City.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
That snowball fight does look like fun.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Center City is from Vine Street to the North, South Street to the South, the Delaware River to the East and the Schuylkill River to the west. There are very defined boundaries of Center City. The City defines "downtown" by the Center City Boundaries and would such look like this

However, most residents consider the downtown boundaries to be such however.

Spring Garden to the North, South Street to the South. the Delaware River to the East and to the edge of University City to the West. Most residents include some of Lower North Philadelphia and most of University City into the definition of "downtown." So Philly's downtown of it's residents would look as such

Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That snowball fight does look like fun.
Washington Sq

Massive Snowball Fight - Philadelphia - Feb 10th 2010 - YouTube

Rittenhouse Sq

Snowball Fight Feb10 z philly - YouTube

More

Snowball Fight of Rittenouse Square: Aftermath - YouTube

Oh and sledding too

Sledding the Philadelphia Art Museum Steps - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So, where on Connecticut Ave is the visual boundary of downtown? Have you ever driven north from Connecticut Ave. and K street up Connecticut Ave to this point? Where does the development break to show a boundary?
I would say once you get North of Dupont Circle on Connecticut, the development feels much less "downtown-ish", there are def mid rise apartments up to Rock Creek Park, but it feels more neighborhood to me.

Maybe I dont completely understand what you mean by "downtown".

Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know you aren't putting Philadelphia up against Chocolate City trying to compare Soul!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me?

Philadelphia needs to stick to Irish Pubs and leave soul to Chocolate City.
DC's Finest just posted a video of a whole bunch of people that did not look too "chocolatey" to me. Besides, white people have sooooul, too. At least in Philly anyway.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
DC's Finest just posted a video of a whole bunch of people that did not look too "chocolatey" to me. Besides, white people have sooooul, too. At least in Philly anyway.

Not to mention Philly has a large proporation of the population that is AA; am nearly postivie (99.9%) have more AAs than does the district.

I am caucasion but would suspect Philly would be a city considered to have soul; just looking to the influence and significance of the Philly R&B music scene would suggest this. Also Coltrane alone to me is pretty good.

Plus just love these guys today

The Roots - The Seed (2.0) ft. Cody ChesnuTT - YouTube

Lastly as this is DT discussion there are more AAs and a higher percetage among CC residents than DT DC (also more asians; DC in the DT is actualyy more caucasion; though is the top race in both by a considerable margin)

Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
And let's not forget the day that thousands of Philadelphians invaded DC on Opening Day and injected some life into your soul-less excuse of a baseball stadium. I made sure to wear my Phillies cap to work that day. All you heard on the Metro that afternoon was "LET'S GO PHILLIES!" LOL.

Philly Invasion - Opening Day 2010 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City