Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,556,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
How do we know Elijah's full intent?
I'm not sure we do ,we don't even know for certain what the intent was of James and John, but one thing we do know and that is Jesus rebuked James and John for asking shall we call down fire from heaven like Elijah.

His rebuke was "you know not what spirit you are of" and then went onto say i came to save life not destroy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,913,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I'm not sure we do ,we don't even know for certain what the intent was of James and John, but one thing we do know and that is Jesus rebuked James and John for asking shall we call down fire from heaven like Elijah.

His rebuke was "you know not what spirit you are of" and then went onto say i came to save life not destroy it.
That seems to tell me that Jesus rebuked them for looking to destroy mens lives. It might seem that Elijah had the same intent, but I'm less sure of that.

Was Elijah not rebuked because...
a) his intent was different
b) it was a different time and it was not yet time to teach grace and truth
c) it was a different time and what was then righteous later becomes evil
d) it never literally happened

Of those it seems to me that (c) is least likely. (d) is a slippery slope. (b) is most likely

Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
That seems to tell me that Jesus rebuked them for looking to destroy mens lives. It might seem that Elijah had the same intent, but I'm less sure of that.

Was Elijah not rebuked because...
a) his intent was different
b) it was a different time and it was not yet time to teach grace and truth
c) it was a different time and what was then righteous later becomes evil
d) it never literally happened

Of those it seems to me that (c) is least likely. (d) is a slippery slope. (b) is most likely
To be quite frank at this moment in time i do not know , i agree you can certainly scratch c and d .

Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,076,275 times
Quote:
trettep i do not mean to be rude but that part of my question is obvious considering Jesus rebuked them . What about Elijah was he in the right spirit when he called fire down from heaven ?.
He was doing God's Will.

Paul

Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:

But also, He destroys life to save it. Don't you see? Eye for eye.

Paul

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
To be quite frank at this moment in time i do not know , i agree you can certainly scratch c and d .
Yeah, it's a difficult question. Do you see any other options besides what I listed?

Another thought I had. We get in our heads that Elijah was righteous because He was a prophet and a man of God. And since he called down fire from heaven and it came, then that's even more proof he was righteous. But in Romans we read that governments and men are ordained of God as intruments of God's wrath if we do evil, yet that proves nothing about their righteousness and some of them might be downright evil. So does Elijah's successful calling fire down from heaven really prove that he himself was doing righteousness? Just a thought.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
He was doing God's Will.

Paul
But what does that prove? As far as actions are concerned Satan was doing what God told him to do when he smote Job. But that did not make Satan righteous, because Satan's intent was way different than God's. To show Elijah's righteousness vs the disciples, I think we'd need to know his intent vs theirs.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
But also, He destroys life to save it. Don't you see? Eye for eye.

Paul
trettep i am not going to get drawn into foolish arguments about how God conforms us to his image . I believe God works in us both to will and to do of his good please , this can take on many forms from destroying (He's the husbandsman) to building up(He's the Vine) . The fact of the matter is Jesus rebuked James and John because they wanted to destroy life.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
But what does that prove? As far as actions are concerned Satan was doing what God told him to do when he smote Job. But that did not make Satan righteous, because Satan's intent was way different than God's. To show Elijah's righteousness vs the disciples, I think we'd need to know his intent vs theirs.
Bob, let me clarify, Elijah acted according to God's Spirit.

Paul

Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Bob, let me clarify, Elijah acted according to God's Spirit.

Paul
Probably true, similar to Paul with A&S or the man turned of to Satan for destruction of the flesh. In that case His intent was not like the disciples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity