Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 AM

318 posts, read 262,854 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what is meant by savior, as in the christian savior ? Is it to be let into heaven, or is it eternal life, or what ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
I am wondering what is meant by savior, as in the christian savior ? Is it to be let into heaven, or is it eternal life, or what ?
To me, "Savior" is the word I use to refer to Jesus Christ and His role in our Father in Heaven's Plan of Salvation for all of his children. It is through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that all mankind has the potential to be reconciled to God, forgiven of their sins and allowed to stand blameless before their Creator. I see Jesus Christ's sacrifice as the means by which all of us can overcome death and be resurrected. It's also through Him that we have been offered the gift of repentence, enabling us to continually move forward on our spiritual path and our goal of becoming more like Him and our Father in Heaven. This is what "Savior" means to me. It is definitely more than simply the means by which we are able to avoid eternal punishment.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:41 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Every one is eligible to be saved from Lord Jesus and become His Children , as People need to seek the kingdom of God which is spiritual with substance , by repentance of turning away from sin, and pray and talk to God and learn about truth of the Lord God and His saving grace which you can receive God`s spirit and be saved and heaven bound ....... See people can ignore the Lord Jesus , and then there is NO Saviour for these who will not even try to find God who is right there ......

Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,960,550 times
Quote:
Someone who saves is one who delivers or rescues.

The ancient Israelites where delivered from Egypt. They were rescued from Pharaoh. They were saved by being delivered through the Red Sea by God's strong hand, so to speak.

God sent the heavenly pre-human Jesus to earth to be our Savior to save, rescue, deliver us from sin and death.

Some saved resurrected to heaven as first fruits who have a first or earlier resurrection.- Rev. 20 v 6; 5 vs 9,10; 2 v 10

The majority of mankind [ John 3 v 13 ] to be saved because they will be resurrected to healthy physical life on a paradisaic earth during Jesus' coming 1000-year kingdom reign over earth when the resurrected dead can gain eternal life right here on earth as originally offered to Adam at his creation.

Jesus will also be ' Savior ' at the soon coming ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32 when Jesus will save, rescue, deliver the living-on-earth humble ' sheep'-like people who can remain alive on earth and come through the coming great tribulation alive on earth [ Rev. 7 v 14 ] living right into the start of Jesus millennium-long day of reigning over earth.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Specifically, the Bible uses it in the sense that he saves sinners from the wrath of God. (1 John 2:2)

Old 01-26-2014, 06:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Specifically, the Bible uses it in the sense that he saves sinners from the wrath of God. (1 John 2:2)
God saves us from God's wrath?

wrath
1. angry, violent, or stern indignation
2. divine vengeance or retribution
3. archaic a fit of anger or an act resulting from anger

Do you think God is angry and violent?

Do you think God is capable of indignation?

That is not the God I know.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
Quote:
The Scriptures declare that because of our rebellion and transgression against God, we have to pay for the penalty. The penalty of sin is death. An eternal death completely separate from the source of all life and which is good, GOD.

The good news of the Gospel is that God in Christ demonstrating his Holiness, Justice, Love, Mercy, Grace by paying the penalty FOR US on the cross of Calvary. As we have all sinned against Him, our relationship is shattered and separate.. No good works on our part can reconcile ourselves to Him, ONLY through the Blood of Jesus Christ can we be FORGIVEN.. GOD declares in Christ that ALL that come to Him for Salvation will be freely forgiven.. Because God is Just and Holy... the penalty of Sin MUST be paid for.. but He is also compassionate, merciful, and kind toward us who were not compassionate, merciful, and kind toward Him while He walked this earth.

Without the blood of Jesus Christ forgiving us before the Father the WRATH OF GOD abides on us. This is an eternal VENGENCE for our rebellion against Him and it is a Just sentence. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God (book of Hebrews).. So it is just best to fear God and come to Christ for Salvation.. He makes it clear that all of those that come to Him in humility asking for Salvation He will freely give.. It is the truth.

I was heading toward perdition.. I was not goodly seeking God.. I was very much living in rebellion like everyone else.. God showed me some truth.. and in my Spirit I cried out to Christ for Salvation.. He gave me His Spirit.. and now I know that I'm saved.. Not because of anything that I can do to make right the wrong done, but because God has freely forgiven me a man deserving of Hell and punishment for my rebellion against HIm.. This is the kindness and the love of God.. One that reaches down and is loving to those that did not love Him..

God is good.. and Man is evil.. The longer I walk as a Christian I have no doubt of this..

Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

wrath

We relate the god we believe in, so Is it any wonder with such a belief about God that Christianity holds the world accountable to God.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
The Pharisee's, Saducees, and Scribes did not receive JESUS as their Savior receiving His Words. The word "Savior" in of itself expresses the relationship.. Christ is Savior and we are helpless. The relationship demands humility, which is where I believe that many people are stumbling today.. Stumbling at that stumbling stone.

God received the prayer of the humble sinner.. He did not receive the prayer of the Proud self-righteous.

Luke 18:10-14 KJV

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

wrath

That's what the Bible says, so yes. Your church even says it--that's why they teach that his actual body and blood is on the altar. They re-present the sacrifice as a propitiation.
Quote:
The dictionary definition of indignation is: "anger or annoyance provoked by what is perceived as unfair treatment."

I don't know that I'd use that term. But I would certainly say that God does hate sinners. The Bible says so.

Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"

Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."

Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."

Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

Quote:
I'm not surprised, to be honest. Sometimes I get the feeling that you claim to know a God that both your church and I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity