Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,200,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Oh really?
So loving my daughter more than anything is a definite problem? I live each day thanking God for her life. We appreciate the beauty and magnificence of life every day. We have reason to. What we are not doing is waiting for the "after life" to appreciate life and give thanks. I believe in God, but not in the way you do. I am loving life today. God gave me the greatest gift of my life, my daughter. I cherish the day, everyday.

Those who choose to believe that Jesus will not accept/save you from "hell" simply because you choose to love your family first and foremost are free to have that belief. I'm not one to tell you otherwise.

I'm just a simple, happy, thankful soul who lives in the moment. I don't put my heart and life and focus on what will happen the day I die. I focus on the gifts I have today. God given gifts. I think God is happy that I appreciate what he has given me today. Because the Jesus I beleive in is self-less like that, not self centered.
Hell is just the grave, so we are all going to hell (the grave). I guess tradition has it partly right.

The King James Version has little footnotes next to some of the "hells" in the Bible that say "grave," because "hell" is really translated from 4 other words that have nothing to do with mythological Greek hells with fiery underworlds. You're not going to get many people to admit this.

Honest Questions and Answers about Hell

Ancient Inventors Of Hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,228,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Oh really?
So loving my daughter more than anything is a definite problem? I live each day thanking God for her life. We appreciate the beauty and magnificence of life every day. We have reason to. What we are not doing is waiting for the "after life" to appreciate life and give thanks. I believe in God, but not in the way you do. I am loving life today. God gave me the greatest gift of my life, my daughter. I cherish the day, everyday.

Those who choose to believe that Jesus will not accept/save you from "hell" simply because you choose to love your family first and foremost are free to have that belief. I'm not one to tell you otherwise.

I'm just a simple, happy, thankful soul who lives in the moment. I don't put my heart and life and focus on what will happen the day I die. I focus on the gifts I have today. God given gifts. I think God is happy that I appreciate what he has given me today. Because the Jesus I beleive in is self-less like that, not self centered.
You can believe as you wish, but this is why you think those verses are rewritten. You have made up your own god and what Jesus said doesn't fit the mold of this god. Instead of saying those verses are wrong, why is it so hard to admit that perhaps you are wrong? Perhaps Jesus is worthy of your utmost love and respect. Perhaps Jesus is more important than any family member. Perhaps what He said is true. No one is saying that you shouldn't love your daughter or appreciate the life God has given you. I don't know where you got this idea from.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You can believe as you wish, but this is why you think those verses are rewritten. You have made up your own god and what Jesus said doesn't fit the mold of this god. Instead of saying those verses are wrong, why is it so hard to admit that perhaps you are wrong? Perhaps Jesus is worthy of your utmost love and respect. Perhaps Jesus is more important than any family member. Perhaps what He said is true. No one is saying that you shouldn't love your daughter or appreciate the life God has given you. I don't know where you got this idea from.
But why would Jesus want Christians to be bad parents? That doesn't really make sense to me.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,840,494 times
Quote:
Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

I'm going to go pick up my daugher now. I've got some life to go live.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But why would Jesus want Christians to be bad parents? That doesn't really make sense to me.
Who said this?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
Quote:
Who said this?
Jesus would want you to love himself more than your own children? To be honest, if my mom told me that I came second in her life - I would be crushed. I know you are going to tell me again that I have no idea what it is like to love God - but there are many Christians that I know and all of them place their children first in their lives. I think it is our natural instincts to put our children first. You are saying that Jesus wants you to put your children second. To me - that just seems contrary to what parents should be like. I don't have children yet - but I know that I put my dog first. I can only imagine the love I will feel for my child. It will be greater, stronger, and purer than any love I can now imagine. I would do anything for this child that I don't even know yet. I would never make them feel like they are second to anything. If God exists - I don't think he would want it any other way. If he did - I don't think he would make the bond so strong between parent and child. I also don't think he would ever make us choose between our child and him. It just doesn't make sense. Like I said, why would Jesus want us to be bad parents?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,129,909 times
I would not. We are all give free will to do as we see fit, and the consequences are of our own making.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Jesus would want you to love himself more than your own children? To be honest, if my mom told me that I came second in her life - I would be crushed. I know you are going to tell me again that I have no idea what it is like to love God - but there are many Christians that I know and all of them place their children first in their lives. I think it is our natural instincts to put our children first. You are saying that Jesus wants you to put your children second. To me - that just seems contrary to what parents should be like. I don't have children yet - but I know that I put my dog first. I can only imagine the love I will feel for my child. It will be greater, stronger, and purer than any love I can now imagine. I would do anything for this child that I don't even know yet. I would never make them feel like they are second to anything. If God exists - I don't think he would want it any other way. If he did - I don't think he would make the bond so strong between parent and child. I also don't think he would ever make us choose between our child and him. It just doesn't make sense. Like I said, why would Jesus want us to be bad parents?
When you put God first, your love for your child doesn't decrease. You don't become bad parents. I've been sitting here thinking about how I can explain this, but I can't. Perhaps someone else can. I really don't know how to explain loving God more than life itself. I am at a loss for words.

You respect (love) Jesus to the extent that you are willing to obey and serve Him regardless. You don't have to stop loving your children but you must never allow them, or your spouse, parents, or anyone else, to draw you away from serving the Almighty God in complete submission and obedience.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 10-14-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,840,494 times
Quote:
When you put God first, your love for your child doesn't decrease. You don't become bad parents. I've been sitting here thinking about how I can explain this, but I can't. Perhaps someone else can. I really don't know how to explain loving God more than life itself. I am at a loss for words.
Do you have children?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,139,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sorry, but Jesus is quoted in Matthew 10:37-39 as saying

37"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
God is Sovereign and somtimes it is hard for us to understand. But we are to put God first
You are severely misunderstanding what this verse means. It does not mean what you are suggesting here, that we should not give up our salvation/God for our kids.

What it means is above all we should follow Christ and what He commanded. LOVE. That is His greatest command.

Luke 6:46 Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Many claim to follow Christ, but do not do what He said. What did Christ say?

Honor thy parents.
Take care of children.
Love God.
Love your neighbor.
Love your enemies.

Its all about LOVE. And the greatest expression of LOVE is self-sacrifice for another. That is why Jesus' LOVE is so great - He laid down His life for all of humanity.

So please stop using Matt 10:37-39 to mean we should not try to do everything possible to save our kids.

In regards to the OP, we would not be following Christ's own command if we did not try to do everything possible to save our loved one from eternal torment. So if we are not willing to follow Christ's commands, did we really make it to heaven?

Last edited by legoman; 10-14-2010 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: fixed scripture reference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity