Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Where did I say I would put my children before my husband? I didn't. I grew up in a family where my mother put me before my father and I HATED it. Their marriage suffered greatly and I vowed to never do that. Of course a spouse should be after God, but before a child. This really has nothing to do with the OP though.
I did not see a mention of your husband in the order...And your mother actually hurt you by putting you first, the marriage suffered...If they got divorced, that would have hurt even more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What I wrote in post #50 IS the answer to your question.
I read it again and still don't see the answer.

Again - what is the PURPOSE of eternal suffering? Not the reason why you think it's going to happen. What purpose does it serve?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This, I know. And, I think you meant "monotheism."

Do you have any idea what you are going to be doing for eternity? Do you know for what purpose you were elected, if you even are? The disciples didn't even know if they were, Richard. We are getting ahead of ourselves, perhaps.
I stand on the Truth...I look deeper into the nature and purposes of God, not just the surface...Even if i do not like what i read, i take it to heart, i cannot tell God who He should be...Throughout the entire Bible i see God's determinism, His purpose, His will, His Plan...Most people want a god in their own image, they say 'if i were god this is what i would do, so naturely this is what the 'true' god would do'...God chooses, we do not, He seeks us, we do not seek Him...If we made the choice to follow God, then Christ's death has not function for the Jews of old knew the way to salvation and that was by following the Law of God...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

33,265 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

Again - what is the PURPOSE of eternal suffering? Not the reason why you think it's going to happen. What purpose does it serve?
Stop thinking in terms of a purpose and instead understand the reason. The REASON the unbeliever will spend eternity in the lake of fire is that by rejecting Christ as Savior, he must rely on his own relative righteousness to save him, and it won't. God's perfect character demands perfect righteousness in his creatures. Man can't meet that requirement. The believer is imputed with God's own righteousness and therefore qualified to live in the presence of God forever. The unbeliever must stand on his own rightousness and falls because of it. He must therefore remain eternally separated from God. And the place where he will spend that eternal separation from God is in the place described as the lake of fire.

Man was designed by God to be incomplete without God. By rejecting Christ as Savior, man eternally cuts himself off from God and that alone will result in unendng suffering and torment in his soul. The lake of fire was prepared for the devil and his angels. Not for man. Nevertheless, it is where unbelieving humanity will dwell throughout the eternal future and will have to endure the conditions of that place. Don't think in terms of Dante's version of hell. No one is going to have their skin flayed from their bodies or whatever else Dante envisioned. But it will be a place of eternal torment.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:05 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Say you could rewind time, and make it so your unbelieving son or daughter 'found the light' and got into Heaven instead of you - but it could only happen if you told God you wanted it to happen. You'd suffer in hell for eternity, but either way you'd still be on a different side of the gulf. I bet most people will say 'no' because, they will say, they love God more than their child (and the point of this thread is not to say there's anything wrong with that) and being with the Lord is more important. But, the catch is, if you chose not to go through with it you'd be mentally tormented by the fact your child was in excruciating pain in some 'lake of fire' for ever (God wouldn't wipe away any tears or wipe your memory). Would you still do it? And what's say God gives you a third option, that he just snuffs you out and niether of you would get to Heaven. Would you rather this third option rather than have your own flesh and blood being poked by demons (to use a cartoonish metaphor) and despairing in some spiritual darkness even if you got to go to Heaven?

And what about if we took it further, what about a village of starving African villagers? Would you undergo this punishment so this village of 200 can escape being damned? What about 2,000, 200,000 people? Would anything be worth the sacrifice for you?

There is a 4th option, believe a scripture that shows what God will do.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Quote:
G2309 thelo thel'-o
or ethelo eth-el'-o, in certain tenses
theleo thel-eh'-o,
and etheleo eth-el-eh'-o, which are otherwise obsolete
apparently strengthened from the alternate form of G138;
to determine (as an active option from subjective impulse;

whereas G1014
properly denotes rather a passive acquiescence in objective considerations),
i.e. choose or prefer (literally or figuratively); by implication, to wish, i.e. be
inclined to (sometimes adverbially, gladly); impersonally for the future tense,
to be about to; by Hebraism, to delight in:--desire, be disposed (forward),
intend, list, love, mean, please, have rather, (be) will (have, -ling, - ling(-ly)).

Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

I would say the obvious reason is they didn't believe in Jesus , so they deserve to suffer in eternal torment

Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
Yea, that old chestnut...

Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

1Ti 2:4 WhoG3739 willG2309 have allG3956 menG444 to be saved,G4982 andG2532 to comeG2064 untoG1519 the knowledgeG1922 of the truth.G225

θέλω, εθέλω
thelō ethelō
thel'-o, eth-el'-o
Either the first or the second form may be used. In certain tenses θελέω theleō thel-eh'-o (and εθέλέω etheleō eth-el-eh'-o) are used, which are otherwise obsolete; apparently strengthened from the alternate form of G138; to determine (as an active voice option from subjective impulse; whereas G1014 properly denotes rather a passive voice acquiescence in objective considerations), that is, choose or prefer (literally or figuratively); by implication to wish, that is, be inclined to (sometimes adverbially gladly); impersonally for the future tense, to be about to; by Hebraism to delight in: - desire, be disposed (forward), intend, list, love, mean, please, have rather, (be) will (have, -ling, -ling [ly]).

Yea, i bet the word in red is all you see in the meaning of the word...He is also speaking to believers, not ALL men...It means want or desire...You just have poor understanding of what you are reading...

Last edited by Richard1965; 10-15-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]1Ti 2:4[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] Who[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G3739[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] will[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G2309[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] have all[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G3956[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] men[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G444[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] to be saved,[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G4982[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] and[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G2532[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] to come[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G2064[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] unto[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G1519[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] the knowledge[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G1922[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] of the truth.[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]G225[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Have you got issues with size?

Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, that old chestnut...

Yeah, scripture really bothers some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity