Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Yeah I don't think a kid who stole from a liquor store, walked in the middle of the road, then physically threatened a police officer deserved to be shot.

I used to shop lift, ride my skateboard in the middle of the street, fight with security guards, and run away from the police, and here I am...I guess you would have had me shot, right?
One of the most fascinating aspects of this whole drama to me has been that virtually everyone, even very smart people, either don't understand or are pretending not to understand the difference between shoplifting and strong-arm robbery. To me, it's obvious, but to everyone else, it's this inconsequential detail and I'm made out to be uptight just for bringing it up. Really feel like I'm missing something -- all my friends and I stole stuff and goofed off growing up too, but we never even gave thought to threatening a shopkeeper with physical violence. Again, the people who see blurred lines here fascinate me, because it's a thought process I find alien.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Well I also used to beat people up. I sent two people to the hospital my junior year of high school. Sick of people like you who claim that people like me "don't understand or are pretending not to understand." I understand quite well that if a black person did any of the stuff I did, people like you would think it would be fine to shoot them.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Wait, you mean crime is so bad that crimes like shoplifting and beating people are not a crime because this society has become so heinous, so vicious, so lawless, so brute beast, so totally depraved, that we are to excuse shoplifting?

RIDICULOUS!!!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Give me a break.
Some of you people are simply morons. I feel like I'm talking to people who didn't even graduate from high school. I guess if you graduated from high school in illinois that's about the same thing, though.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:56 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
One of the most fascinating aspects of this whole drama to me has been that virtually everyone, even very smart people, either don't understand or are pretending not to understand the difference between shoplifting and strong-arm robbery. To me, it's obvious, but to everyone else, it's this inconsequential detail and I'm made out to be uptight just for bringing it up. Really feel like I'm missing something -- all my friends and I stole stuff and goofed off growing up too, but we never even gave thought to threatening a shopkeeper with physical violence. Again, the people who see blurred lines here fascinate me, because it's a thought process I find alien.
Well, the store owner spoke out and the media ignored everything he said.

Ferguson Store Owner Says He Doesn’t Believe That’s Mike Brown On Surveillance Video

Quote:
In addition to clarifying that the store owners never said they believed, nor identified the suspect as being Michael Brown, they further claimed that the St. Louis County issued the warrants to confiscate the hard drive of surveillance video Friday. The warrants were issued based on the police claim that Brown “fit the description” of the person in the video. Remember, this was the person who the owners and employees of the store did not even see fit to call the police on due to the pettiness of the crime. The owner clarifies that neither the management of the shop, nor any employee has ever identified Mike Brown as the suspect recorded in the surveillance video.
The original surveillance video released was not accurate since it showed only part of what happened. Analysis of the video tape below. This was NOT a strong arm robbery. Mike Brown and Dorian Johnson put the boxes of cigars back, so it was not even shoplifting of a box of cigars.

What Mike Brown did and did not do inside of the Ferguson convenience store

Quote:
At 0:13, Mike Brown enters the store.
The same entry, but from a different angle is shown at 0:29.

At 0:15, Dorian Johnson enters the store.
The same entry, but from a different angle, is shown at 0:31.

At 0:34, a female employee begins to walk toward the counter.

At 0:38, this female employee goes behind the counter.

At 0:43, Mike Brown grabs a box of cigars.

At 0:48, Mike Brown hands the box of cigars to Dorian Johnson.

At 0:53, Mike Brown is seen talking to the employees.

At 0:57, Mike Brown grabs another box of cigars with his left hand and a few packs with his right hand.

At 1:03, Mike Brown puts the box of cigars that he grabbed back onto the counter.

At 1:05, Dorian Johnson is seen putting the box of cigars he was holding back on the counter.

At 1:08, Mike Brown bends over to pick up loose packs of cigars from the ground.

At 1:15, Mike Brown begins to leave the store.

At 1:15, a male employee is seen emerging from behind the counter with keys in his hand.

At 1:21, out of the sight of the camera, the male employee confronts Mike Brown.

At 1:26, the video shows what was actually happening at 1:21 as the employee confronts Mike Brown.

At 1:27, the male employee appears to attempt to impede Mike Brown's exit from the store.

At 1:28, the male employee appears to bump into Mike Brown.

At 1:29, Mike Brown shoves the male employee.

At 1:30, the male employee pulls the door closed.

At 1:32, Mike Brown walks toward the male employee to get him to let go of the door and get out of the way.

At 1:33, Dorian Johnson exits the store.

At 1:35, Mike Brown's left hand is empty and his right hand can be seen with a few loose packs of cigars.

At 1:36, Mike Brown exits the Ferguson Market.

At 1:40, the male employee exits after Mike Brown

Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I honestly feel agenda driven people like you are the problem. You are not intersted in the truth; it's all about some narcissistic, self serving drama in which you are the lead character.

The grand just, which had three African Americans on it, heard 80 witnesses and made a decision; you just assume they were all too stupid to see the reality if the situation.
Incorrect.

A grand jury isn't even supposed to be a jury of your peers. It is what happens before charges are pressed. There was no actual trial. This is what people are mad about.

Witnesses didn't come to the stand. There was no trial. Learn a basic understanding of law. Usually the defendant doesn't even get to make a statement before a grand jury.

There SHOULD have been a trial. You are tactically admitting this.

Last edited by urza216; 11-28-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
While certain racial prejudices exist in both blacks and whites. The senseless killings and crime among black against others blacks must stop also. A 19 year old black girl was shot by a young black male at a Marta bus stop here in Atlanta and later died . It is quite duplicitous, but the very thing people are upset about in Ferguson;insensitivity against young black life is what we continue to do among ourselves in our own community. You can't promote one message, while murders, and crimes continue daily against your own race of people. Oh how people need discernment and should stop letting the media shape the narrative. Think critically and please be smart.
Why always black on black crime? Whites commit most crimes against whites as well. Shouldn't we be looking to clean that up as well?

White-on-White Crime: It Goes Against the False Media Narrative - The Root

Quote:
What Will, Steele and O'Reilly failed to mention is the exacting truth that white Americans are just as likely to be killed by other whites. According to Justice Department statistics (pdf), 84 percent of white people killed every year are killed by other whites.
Quote:
The truth? As the largest racial group, whites commit the majority of crimes in America. In particular, whites are responsible for the vast majority of violent crimes. With respect to aggravated assault, whites led blacks 2-1 in arrests; in forcible-rape cases, whites led all racial and ethnic groups by more than 2-1. And in larceny theft, whites led blacks, again, more than 2-1.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I honestly feel agenda driven people like you are the problem. You are not intersted in the truth; it's all about some narcissistic, self serving drama in which you are the lead character.

The grand just, which had three African Americans on it, heard 80 witnesses and made a decision; you just assume they were all too stupid to see the reality if the situation.
But, the fact is that only 9 of the 12 had to agree for a no true bill (there were 9 white members of the grand jury). We will never know the count because that is private. OTOH, in this case, it is not that the jury was stupid, but that the way the evidence was presented made it difficult for them to come to a good decision. We do not know what charges they considered or what instructions they were given.

Quote:
The grand jury could have indicted Wilson on one of five charges:

First-degree murder: Knowingly causing a death after deliberation; punishable by either life in prison or lethal injection.

Second-degree murder: Knowingly causing a death, or acting with the purpose of causing serious physical injury that ends up resulting in death; punishable by life in prison or a range of 10 to 30 years.

Voluntary manslaughter: Causing a death "under the influence of sudden passion arising from adequate cause"; punishable by five to 15 years in prison.

First-degree involuntary manslaughter: Recklessly causing a death; punishable by up to seven years in prison.

Second-degree involuntary manslaughter: Acting with criminal negligence to cause a death; punishable by up to four years in prison.
Inconsistencies analyzed

5 Key Inconsistencies in What Happened During the Michael Brown Shooting | Mother Jones

Note that Missouri's use of force law is patently unconstitutional. This may be what the no true bill was based on, but it is way beyond what is in force in most other states.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Wait, you mean crime is so bad that crimes like shoplifting and beating people are not a crime because this society has become so heinous, so vicious, so lawless, so brute beast, so totally depraved, that we are to excuse shoplifting?

RIDICULOUS!!!
No, but theft does not deserve a death sentence without a trial. This policeman tried to be judge, jury and sentencer.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
So screw the "system." It's all a conspiracy, even all the members of the grand jury. Everything was rigged from beginning. Does that make you feel better? You sound like anti-authority teenagers. You know, all civilized countries have "systems." I bet if you lived in any other country you'd be complaining about the "system" there too. Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago