Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Supporting jdiddy's point (the whole article is a good read):

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...whites-blacks/

Medved said that police kill more whites than blacks. In absolute terms, that is accurate. However, the statement ignores that there are more than five times more whites than blacks in America. When comparing death rates, blacks are about three times more likely than whites to die in a confrontation with police.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I honestly don't understand why people are so upset. It's sad the kid died but that is exactly what I would expect to happen if I grabbed a police officers gun or harmed him in any way shape it form. The bottom line is that unless you read all the witness testimony from the grand jury, your opinion is completely uninformed, and even then people are never going to know exactly what happened.
You'd expect to get shot and get shot again and get shot again and get shot again and get shot again and get shot again and get shot again and get shot again and get shot again?

Autopsoy shows Mike Brown was shot in the front and back. Shots continued to be fired after he turned around and tied to get away. The actions of a scumbag.

Last edited by urza216; 11-26-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive known several black people in my life, many of whom I grew up with, and they never had any problems. I hung out with them all the way through high school. By far and away it was me that was getting busted for nonsense things (ie loud exhaust, following too closely, etc). It all depends on how you grow up, and how you present yourself to law enforcement. If youre a thug (no matter what color you are), youre gonna have problems. You live by the sword, you die by sword. Thats just how it goes, no matter what color your skin is.
Cool story, bro.

"Several" black people in your whole life? That sounds like you can count the number. And you're from the Chicago area? Wow.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:56 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
I have a high school friend on FB who is black, grew up on the south side (moved to Atlanta) and whose dad was a Chicago cop.

It's pretty much the only discussion I've followed as every point of view is well represented. This comment seems pretty topical for this discussion & on par with what a lot of us are perhaps poorly articulating:

Michael Brown robbed the store and bullied the owner and according to Wilsons testimony he assaulted a police officer. The police should have been looking for him. At the end of the day - Brown did commit a crime. Should he have been shot for that crime? No. The anger and frustration comes from the fact that our men are gunned down more often because of FEAR of the stereotyped black man.... The frustration comes from the process that took too long. A process that if it was a black man that shot down a white teenager would have been completed in days not months. It's the system they are protesting. Tired of seeing our men treated like thugs if they aren't dressed a certain way. Treated as criminals because they are black. "Take EM down first ask questions later". The system is biased because of fear of the angry black man.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
michael brown is dead because of michael brown.

He should not have lunged at Officer Wilson, punching him, grabbing for his gun, etc.

he was shot as a last resort when Officer Wilson feared he was gonna die if he didn't pull the trigger.

michael brown is dead because of Michael Brown's choices.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
If I was a police officer and a guy of any race the size of Brown beat my face to pulp through my squad car window I'd be plenty afraid.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
he was shot as a last resort when Officer Wilson feared he was gonna die if he didn't pull the trigger.
He didn't just pull the trigger, though. He pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger and then he pulled the trigger. If you explain why he did THIS to me then I'll stop calling this pig a sociopathic scumbag.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If I was a police officer and a guy of any race the size of Brown beat my face to pulp through my squad car window I'd be plenty afraid.
That's nice. You aren't a cop though. We SHOULD be holding our law enforcement to a higher standard, though. We seem to hold them to a lower standard instead.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Care to back that up with facts? Ill wait. And while I wait, Ill say that sounds to me like thats just your opinion, and a dumb one at that.
No need to provide facts where they won't be accepted. Black employment is double that of white employment. If employable blacks have trouble finding jobs, I guarantee you that ex-convicts have trouble finding jobs.

Quote:
Darren Wilson is 6'4, 210.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
None of the testimony was reliable. Every possible scenario there was a witness that claims that was what they saw. He was running away, he was charging the officer, he was freezing and putting his hand up, his hands were down, his hands were curled into fists, his hands were in his pocket.

However, the physical evidence showed none of the gunshot wounds were to his back and many indicated his torso and head were tilted forward as they would be if he was charging towards the officer.
The facts don't matter. Only that it was a black kid, white cop. Nothing else matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago