Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times

Advertisements

I'm a Nucks fan and I'm disappointed by the fact we lost but hard to cry with news of the riots breaking out in the city as we speak!

To all long time Van City residents, which riots were worse - 1994's or 2011's? Please discuss your experiences or what you've heard from people around you? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
This is much, much worse. '94 doesn't compare. I never thought anything like this could happen in this city. I'm watching this live on local Vancouver TV right now. It just seems to be escalating. It started out with a small number of hooligans and agitators who came prepared to start a riot no matter what the outcome of the game was and it has escalated into large scale mob mentality all bent on destruction. There is speculation now that it was an organized Blac Bloc riot, it's looking that way because many of them were wearing masks, came prepared to hide their identities. It's a horror story. Numerous cars have been lit on fire, including police cars. The Bay, Sears, London Drugs, Pacific car rentals and many other businesses have been broken into and are being looted and destroyed. 100's of people standing around taking pictures and laughing every time there's an explosion. Many 100's more of people are crying and in a state of shock that this is happening. There's people getting trampled, fist fights happening everywhere, there's been some stabbings. The police have had to bring out the canisters of pepper spray. St. Paul's hospital is filling up with injured people. 100,000 spectators/visitors are trying to get out of the downtown city core away from all this havoc. It's really terrible, it' been going on for 4 hours now and getting more violent.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-16-2011 at 01:09 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
Way to show your class there Nucks fans. Rioting because of the loss of the championship? Come on. I realize this only applies to a small number of morons in comparison to all the fans but this is still insane. I hope all of the fans will stand up and run off the fans/morons who rioted. What a disgrace to the city.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Sports, sports, sports, what about this passtime and entertaining endeavour do people not understand? We place far too much importance on the outcome of a sporting event then show we're good sports by rioting?

C'mon folks; shots of a couple of Canuck tem members actually crying after their loss fer goodness sakes. What's wrong with this picture? Where are the bygone days of the captain skating over to congratulate the opposing team's captain with a statement of "we played our best but you simply out-played us" with a congratulatory shake of the hand?

As Canadians we have held the (or liked to think we did) moral high ground for generations, then little events like this one and the G-20 riot occur to remind us we've been living in a fantasy world with the destructive 'gang mentality' of our boozed up young folks bubbling to the surface to remind us there's valid reasoning behind laws of age related priviledges. All of our second guessing the authorities decision making regarding the G-20 event seems a little ludicrous now doesn't it? Two events involving young people who've clustered together to form a mob resulting in cop cars being burned and destruction of private property, perhaps our young aren't as bright as we'd like to think they are.

Perhaps we need to re-visit our benchmark ages for things such as alcohol consumption, and maybe letting people like these, obviously immature people, vote is asking more of their intelligence qoutient than they're capable of digesting rationally.

A black eye for all of Canada, this.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,261,500 times
What would they do if they won!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Rioting after a loss is like running out of toilet paper and whipping poop on your face.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Rioting after a loss is like running out of toilet paper and whipping poop on your face.
Yeah, as if Luongo's subpar performance wasn't embarrassing enough to the Canucks and their fans.

Vancouver is a nice city that unfortunately has way too many spoiled children in it...

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
What would they do if they won!
The same. A number of the people who descended on downtown apparently had the idea of doing this before the puck even dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, as if Luongo's subpar performance wasn't embarrassing enough to the Canucks and their fans.

Vancouver is a nice city that unfortunately has way too many spoiled children in it...

Well, I suppose you can say they easily eclipsed their poor performances in games 3, 4, 6, and 7. When people think back to this playoff series, they're probably not going to remember Vancouver getting outscored 23-8, they'll remember the riots.

Unfortunately, I kinda overshadows Boston's victory, too.

Oh, and so much for Canucks fans being classier than Bruins fans.

F--- BOSTON, LET'S GET REVENGE BY VANDALIZING AND BURNING DOWN OUR OWN CITY!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times
I thought Canadians were a gentle, peaceful people?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
There's a website for Identifying the Rioters with pictures of the little dears expressing their angst. Hope every one of them get caught. Disgusting thugs.

But just like last time, these pukes went there deliberately to cause mayhem, whatever the outcome of the final game. I'm surprised the cops and authorities weren't better prepared. Perhaps the nice atmosphere around the Olympics lulled them into complacency but that was a different crowd.

I lived in Vancouver in '94 and remember walking down Robson the next morning and wondering if I was in Beirut. Windows boarded up, glass everywhere. My friends there say this one was way worse. They're all disgusted.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-16-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver