Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He showed him his drivers license and his Harvard ID both of which have pictures. I think that counts as cooperating.
yeah but he also got angry. whatever the reason - justified or not - you cant give the stink eye or attitude toward the police. you gotta remain polite and quiet and peaceful.

it may be that the second the person starts with the stink eye attitude, the danger signal goes up in the officer and suddenly the person becomes dangerous.

i only heard one side of the story. i'd have to hear both before making a judgment.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:11 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
I'm shocked their weren't riots at Midway today. Numerous reports that the security line was over a mile long, snaking out to the Orange Line station.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
The original surveillance video released was not accurate since it showed only part of what happened. Analysis of the video tape below. This was NOT a strong arm robbery. Mike Brown and Dorian Johnson put the boxes of cigars back, so it was not even shoplifting of a box of cigars.

He was apprehended with cigars.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Yeah I don't think a kid who stole from a liquor store, walked in the middle of the road, then physically threatened a police officer deserved to be shot.

I used to shop lift, ride my skateboard in the middle of the street, fight with security guards, and run away from the police, and here I am...I guess you would have had me shot, right?
If you think thats all there was to it, you are sadly mistaken and probably in denial.. Or maybe you were listening to the lame stream news.

Re your list of crimes, it depends on many things whether you get shot or not.

But, why even do those things anyway, then you won't have to worry about being shot.

You seem to enjoy being a trouble-maker, is that right? Or are you just out having some kind of fun or what?

And did jail (if you went to jail) did that help change you or are you still out doing more mischief?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
It isn't a matter of whether he "deserved to be shot." The police don't shoot people because they deserve it. They shoot them because they are a serious threat to themself or others. In this case the fact that he seriously assualted an officer, tried to get his gun, and continued to threaten the officer made him a such a threat.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Why would I have gone to jail? I was a rich white kid. Now I am a rich white man. We can get away with anything.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:48 PM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so why do you think you got hassled? really? what could it be? could it be you had been loitering or something? they dont just go up to you without a cause. so far it sounds like your bad attitude may have been part of it. maybe you weren't aware of having an attitude. maybe you gave him the stink eye.

but i wasn't there, so i dont know what happened.. wish i could hear the officer's side.
I was literally just sitting in the park. They asked me why I was sitting in the park, where I lived, where I worked, what I was doing after being in the park. I'm sorry but having two strangers march right up to you and ask you what you're doing is offensive, I don't care if they're cops or not. I'm sure they were just trying to fill their "quota" for the month, or were just bored or felt like pushing someone around. I don't know, there are many reasons people in positions of power hassle people. Often it's just to make themselves feel better/superior.

If you're used to the police doing this kind of thing, maybe you don't think it's so bad, but where I'm from people are outraged by how aggressive and obnoxious some of the police/security/immigration officers, etc are in the US. Unfortunately, people in America bow down to it. No, you do not have to show ID to a police officer just because he asks for it, yes you can go up to a cop and tell them you disapprove of their behaviour, and report them if need be. The police serve us, not the other way round.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Why would I have gone to jail? I was a rich white kid. Now I am a rich white man. We can get away with anything.
Go ahead and put your theory to the test. Try to grab a Chicago cop's gun.

You will be shot in the face

Old 11-30-2014, 09:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Most Chicago cops couldn't hit a barn door with a shotgun.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
If you're used to the police doing this kind of thing, maybe you don't think it's so bad, but where I'm from people are outraged by how aggressive and obnoxious some of the police/security/immigration officers, etc are in the US. Unfortunately, people in America bow down to it. No, you do not have to show ID to a police officer just because he asks for it, yes you can go up to a cop and tell them you disapprove of their behaviour, and report them if need be. The police serve us, not the other way round.
Agreed.

4 times in a year police have gone through my camera, and twice this year they went through my camera, which was just in my pocket. This is from their "frisk." I haven't upgraded out of a flip phone.

The sad thing is so many Hispanic and Black people have cocaine/drugs and sometimes guns in their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago