Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times

Advertisements

So glad your boy ate tonight yeah!!! I am sorry to hear his tests revealed he is FIV positive, but he can still life a good long life. If he had been Leuk positive, that would have been much worse. My "Furman" still has his little peanuts. He was a stray and was not neutered until he was about 3 years old... if I didn't know better I would think he isn't neutered. In fact, after we picked him up from the group that transported him up north from the gassing "shelter" he came from, I thought he had not been neutered yet and had my vet check him.
I am so very glad this is all behind you now and you and Whispers can relax again.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Late to be catching up but sooo glad he is doing so well now! What a relief for you. <<hugs>>

Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,866 times
Oh, Garden, I'm so sorry that he tested positive for FIV...but if anyone on this planet can give him the nutrition, holistic support, and LOVE needed to keep him happy, healthy and comfortable for a long, long time it's definitely you, my friend!

Sorry I couldn't get back on CD until now, it's been a stressful and hectic day here too, one of my BF's dogs had surgery today to remove a tumor, which turned out to be THREE tumors (and 3x the estimated cost, of course )..eegads...I won't get into it right now, but suffice it to say it's been a long, long day all around, it seems .

I am thrilled to hear your Whispers is still singing, though...THAT cheered me greatly, in fact...it sounds like he's going to bounce right back from this in no time !

Old 04-15-2011, 06:15 AM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
He fell asleep with his head on my hand so I put my head down next to his, and the next thing I know, we were ZZZZZZZing together.
You must have been exhausted. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,670,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You must have been exhausted. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too!
Thanks, Ohiogirl! Yes, I was exhausted. I ended up last night holding my chest from pain. My BP was all right and the pain passed. All the anxiety from the past few days was let go, so nothing to worry about. This morning, I feel more like myself and ready to go. I had wanted to start poking around in my gardens, but I saw the temp outside and it is only in the 30's. Drats!

Whispers again ate this morning with my raw in which I put L-Lysine in to help his immune system. He's on the quiet side but that is OK, because he normally gets loud at night.

......got my homework cut out for me. This little guy, not being yet 2 years old from my calculations is already exhibiting gingvitis in his mouth. Teeth brushing just does not do it. So, with the help of foxy, I am preparing myself to find model prey for these cats of mine to bite on so that these gums get stronger. My raw alone with chunks of meat just is not doing it. This is going to be quite the feat because I already know this will be a process to get my cats used to the idea of knawing on bones. With foxy's help, I'll do it!!!

HUGE HUGS to all that supported me through all this.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,834 times
Sorry to hear of his FIV results. Don't know what to recommend as I've never dealt with that before. Hope the little guy is feeling better today, and yourself as well!!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Thanks, Ohiogirl! Yes, I was exhausted. I ended up last night holding my chest from pain. My BP was all right and the pain passed. All the anxiety from the past few days was let go, so nothing to worry about. This morning, I feel more like myself and ready to go. I had wanted to start poking around in my gardens, but I saw the temp outside and it is only in the 30's. Drats!

Whispers again ate this morning with my raw in which I put L-Lysine in to help his immune system. He's on the quiet side but that is OK, because he normally gets loud at night.

......got my homework cut out for me. This little guy, not being yet 2 years old from my calculations is already exhibiting gingvitis in his mouth. Teeth brushing just does not do it. So, with the help of foxy, I am preparing myself to find model prey for these cats of mine to bite on so that these gums get stronger. My raw alone with chunks of meat just is not doing it. This is going to be quite the feat because I already know this will be a process to get my cats used to the idea of knawing on bones. With foxy's help, I'll do it!!!

HUGE HUGS to all that supported me through all this.
Might try something that is done in the wild, but tailored to domestic cats:
buy a soup bone from the supermarket butcher's department. They're cheap, couple bucks. Rinse, then slow-roast the bone in a shallow pan, with no seasonings at all, no oil, no nothin. Cool, and present it to the cats as a chew-toy.

It's a common toy for dogs, no idea why people don't do this for cats. Cats gnaw on the marrow just as much as dogs do, and the chewing is good for their teeth. If you want to get them used to the idea, just rub a catnip blossom over the length of the bone.

You can boil the bone instead of roasting it, but that'll boil out most of the nutrients from the marrow. If you find the bone is too thick for them to chew on, you can crack it length-wise to expose the marrow, and let them sink their fangs into that instead. Either way, they'll get that scraping they need on their teeth.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Might try something that is done in the wild, but tailored to domestic cats:
buy a soup bone from the supermarket butcher's department. They're cheap, couple bucks. Rinse, then slow-roast the bone in a shallow pan, with no seasonings at all, no oil, no nothin. Cool, and present it to the cats as a chew-toy.

It's a common toy for dogs, no idea why people don't do this for cats. Cats gnaw on the marrow just as much as dogs do, and the chewing is good for their teeth. If you want to get them used to the idea, just rub a catnip blossom over the length of the bone.

You can boil the bone instead of roasting it, but that'll boil out most of the nutrients from the marrow. If you find the bone is too thick for them to chew on, you can crack it length-wise to expose the marrow, and let them sink their fangs into that instead. Either way, they'll get that scraping they need on their teeth.
Awesome! I had planned on going to the store today to pick up some wings, but I think this is a much better idea! Bone marrow has SO much nutrition in it. I know I will have to cut it in little pieces, but that is OK. I'll roast it first just like you said......Anon, for how long approx? And then I'll crack the bone lengthwise and cross cut so that pieces go around for 15 cats. (((HUGS))) Hmmmm.......I'll smear cat nip on the bones and present my "gifts" for snackies tonight! I really need to get my video cam rolling! You guys would probably be ROFLAO at some of the antics of my cats.

Some of my wild barn boys are already used to getting bones. Every time we prepare the raw food here, I have "beggars" who want to chew on a wing or neck. Hehehehehe Doodles is too funny! He growls if anyone comes near his bone and then he will run with it in the house to find a corner where no one will bother him! And yep, he has excellent teeth!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
I just came out from Whisps special closet, well at least my head and torso were in it. He fell asleep with his head on my hand so I put my head down next to his, and the next thing I know, we were ZZZZZZZing together. It was an OH AH catch in your throat moment. That boy has got my heart in so many knots!

!
Awwwww......! xx

Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Awwwww......! xx
Back at you C21 regarding your "nurse" cats. Ah.......xx>>>>just heart touching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats