Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times

Advertisements

The majority of the cats in our home would hiss and spit at the one that came home from the vet hospital or surgery. I would just put the "sick" one in a separate room for a day or so. Who wants to deal with not feeling well and snarky-ness from other members of the family. lol
Bummer Whispers is FIV+. ;( As others said, at least now you KNOW and can go forward from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times
I'm thinking of when I entice Whispers into his special closet in a little bit to at least get water in him with his Buprenex, to have a nice warm wash cloth and dry towel and very gently wash him, trying to get some of the smells off of him. Do you think that would work? Geeze, no one hissed at Bella when she had her dental surgery a few months back. Maybe it is a guy thing with these cats. Whisps has gone through enough today.....and as for Checkers, he sounds like some of my boys. They have a lot of nerve, don't they?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Glad to know YOU made it! I had no doubt about Whispers
Anon, thanks! I put so much of myself into the welfare of these cats who I have witnessed first hand such horrible suffering......and when days like today arrive, oh yes, I am stressed. I don't want to be, I really do try to stay calm, yet I find myself stressed. Maybe if my heart wasn't as big as it is, I wouldn't care as much. I don't know. Give me a few days to recover and I'll be right as sunshine again.

Don't know how hubs does it. He has just gone with his day like nothing out of the norm happened. Me? Sprawled across my bed not able to move. Well, at least I can honestly promise this little guy that he will never come out of this house again, except of course for an emergency. That lifts my spirits just knowing he will feel secure and loved for the rest of his life!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Anon! I should have made a bet with you! I would have been ahead! LOL Whispers ate! OH, happy dance! HAPPY DANCE!

I cry tears of such sorrow sometimes for some of these cats I have here. They have come into my life so that I can give them tons of love and a quality of life they never even dreamed of.

OMG! He's singing! Oh his singing has hasn't gone with the nips! OH yes!!! Whispers is still singing soprano! It should even be higher notes now, don't ya think?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
The majority of the cats in our home would hiss and spit at the one that came home from the vet hospital or surgery. I would just put the "sick" one in a separate room for a day or so. Who wants to deal with not feeling well and snarky-ness from other members of the family. lol
I'm "lucky", my cats have been to the vet so often that no one blinks an eye at the yucky vet smell coming off another cat, even after anesthesia. Two of my cats are natural Nurses, the oldest (a 12 year old red boy) and the youngest (almost 10 months old). They smell vet on any other cat, including one another, they want to fuss and hover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Anon! I should have made a bet with you! I would have been ahead! LOL Whispers ate! OH, happy dance! HAPPY DANCE!

I cry tears of such sorrow sometimes for some of these cats I have here. They have come into my life so that I can give them tons of love and a quality of life they never even dreamed of.

OMG! He's singing! Oh his singing has hasn't gone with the nips! OH yes!!! Whispers is still singing soprano! It should even be higher notes now, don't ya think?
I'm glad Whispy is singing and eating. Even with the FIV, he'll be feeling so much better without those hormones. Ya done good today, GOE. xx

Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Good. I have found that cats will usually listen to their Mama when it comes down to it. Even Jasper, when he was being bathed his first time, he told me he did not like this water thing, in no uncertian terms, but he trusted me during the entire process. No bites, just alot of disgusted cat noises.

Glad everything went well.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Good. I have found that cats will usually listen to their Mama when it comes down to it. Even Jasper, when he was being bathed his first time, he told me he did not like this water thing, in no uncertian terms, but he trusted me during the entire process. No bites, just alot of disgusted cat noises.

Glad everything went well.
Wish I could rep you! Thank you so much!!! I just came out from Whisps special closet, well at least my head and torso were in it. He fell asleep with his head on my hand so I put my head down next to his, and the next thing I know, we were ZZZZZZZing together. It was an OH AH catch in your throat moment. That boy has got my heart in so many knots!

Yeah, I did done good, C21. Now, hopefully with those hormones gone, he will start eating better. He weighed in at 10 pounds at the vet and I said WHAT? my scale said 10.8 pounds yesterday. Even with Yellow Fellow on the scale with him, nope still only 10 pounds. (Yellow Fellow is his stuffed animal buddy who went to the vet with him today!) Another tear jerker moment was the scale scenario when Whisps just clung to me in desperation not wanting me to put him down, so afraid of the vet, so afraid period. That boy gets 100 gold stars today PLUS he ate fishies tonight so that makes twice he ate!

Saying good night to everyone and I thank you from the bottom of my heart helping me get through this. I am not the only one in this house relieved this is over. You should see my cats just in every possible place in the house in positions of utter exhaustion, completely spent. Whew! What a day!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I'm "lucky", my cats have been to the vet so often that no one blinks an eye at the yucky vet smell coming off another cat, even after anesthesia. Two of my cats are natural Nurses, the oldest (a 12 year old red boy) and the youngest (almost 10 months old). They smell vet on any other cat, including one another, they want to fuss and hover.

I'm glad Whispy is singing and eating. Even with the FIV, he'll be feeling so much better without those hormones. Ya done good today, GOE. xx
Oops. I meant to include your quote in the above post! OK....I am going to pass out now! Thanks, C21!!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Bummer Whispers is FIV+. ;( As others said, at least now you KNOW and can go forward from here.
Yeah.....big bummer, Lola, but like I said now I know and I now I can work with the situation even better then I was before!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I think that cats neutered as adults generally keep the same voice they had before. Five definitely has. But when they have the surgery as kittens, maybe less so. Zed was snipped at the shelter at arond 8 weeks, and he still has the squeak of a kitten many years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats