Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

What a pretty kitty he is! It will take him a little while to get totally over his traumatic experience. (As if you didn't know that!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 02:25 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
What a pretty kitty he is! It will take him a little while to get totally over his traumatic experience. (As if you didn't know that!)
Thank you, catman. No, he still has yet to fully bounce back, but then again, I didn't expect him to. He is not the "norm" when it comes to cats, which you will know by reading about Whisps. And yes, he is gorgeous, putting my heart right up in my throat every darn time I look at his precious face.

I have been so concerned about the timing of doing his neutering, just that I had to know 100% it was time, no doubts. Even knowing, this was excruciatingly difficult for me to do. I cannot begin to put into words how relieved I am this is over with, and now I can fully concentrate on getting a belly on this little guy!

Last night, he sang a minor concert, not full as his usual but belted out a few good high soprano notes. I grinned and sang right back to him, mimicking him as I usually do. This house would not have been the same if we had lost that singing voice of his along with his peanuts. Speaking of which.....they still look the same. I am amazed! I am crossing fingers they don't eventually shrink because they are just so darn cute.

I've gained another level of trust with Whisps, the complete opposite of what I feared might happen. He is now following me around the house when he is up, and staying very close to me, without scaring and running away. He knows I did my best to protect him and to make everything go as smoothly as possible. I am praying that because he was so far under (but still "awake") that he does not remember the panic when he fought to get away. That, I will never forget, and still brings tears to my eyes. THAT, I promise him, will never happen again!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 AM

I am breathing again normally. I've been waiting for what happened this morning to happen. Whispers ate breakfast with the rest of the family in the kitchen, and not up in his special closet. Not only that, he ate THREE helpings of food! He keeps this up and he is going to outweigh even Cuddles, who weighs in about 16 pounds! LOL Oh for the relief! Oh, God for the relief!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Glad to hear Whispers is recovering nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
THAT, I promise him, will never happen again!
Well, yeah, because there's nothing left to snip!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Glad to hear Whispers is recovering nicely.

Well, yeah, because there's nothing left to snip!
LOL@Ohio! LOL I was actually talking about (I think) taking him in again to the hospital, allowing him just to live out his life in peace, love, and away from the world here in our home. IF an emergent situation arises, that will be a whole different story!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I was actually talking about (I think) taking him in again to the hospital, allowing him just to live out his life in peace, love, and away from the world here in our home.
I know, I understood what you meant (and quite agree, although, as you said, you never know what the situation will be).

Call me nuts! I was just being ballsy.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I know, I understood what you meant (and quite agree, although, as you said, you never know what the situation will be).

Call me nuts! I was just being ballsy.
OMG! ROFLMAO! Double jeopardy! Too darn funny! And what a sense of humor you have! Lordy!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Yeah, but I am feeling somewhat guilty at having a chuckle at Whispers' expense. Good thing he's feeling much better! LOL

Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but I am feeling somewhat guilty at having a chuckle at Whispers' expense. Good thing he's feeling much better! LOL
Don't think twice about feeling guilty. Today I am celebrating!!! Whispers would get a huge kick out of the fact that you made Mommy laugh! Thank YOU for giving me the laugh I sorely needed!!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Oh, GOE, I am so sorry that I have not posted until now, but you and Whisps have been in my thoughts and prayers!

I know it sucks that he is FIV+, but I'm just glad he made it through his surgery okay. It's times like these that we need to focus on the positive and all of the things that Whisps has going for him rather than all the things that are going against him. Positive thoughts are needed now more than ever!!

Re: the eye infections, it is probably a herpes infection, quite common in immunocompromised animals and not something you really should focus on, as it is just an indication/symptom of a larger problem, of which you are now aware.

Re: Whisps' weight, have you though about a kitten nutritional supplement? High in fat, but not too high in protein so as to problematize his FLUTD. It might be what you need to put some weight on him. There are formulas like this available at a pet store:

PetAg KMR Milk Replacer Food Supplements for Kittens & Small Animals Liquid at PETCO

Or, you can make your own:

Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.

Remember, you possess the most powerful weapon in this fight: knowledge. And, now you know what you are fighting! Just take it day-by-day and try not to let it overwhelm you: that's what it wants!!
Starla, I don't remember if I thanked you for these links. I have my work cut out for me today. Whispers is again back to not wanting to eat, and it is just about breaking my heart. At one time in his progress, I had him up to close to 12 pounds, but now, he is more like 10.

I called my vet, and she is ordering a safe appetite stimulant, something that triggers the brain to eat. What is it? She didn't tell me, and I did ask. I wonder why she didn't tell me? Oh, well, I'll find out when I go pick it up today.

And I am either going to make him kitten glop today or get kitten food. This boy needs calories and fast. *hit. Sorry, but, guys, this is tearing me up. I also am going to buy an expensive digital thermometer today. I do have an ear one, but it is not accurate. (sigh) You pay for what you get these days. He may be running a temperature and that could be the reason why he doesn't want to eat. Although, when I bring out the fishies, he is right there digging in. Hmmmm......

I have to figure this one out to get Whispers to begin eating with gusto again. I would so appreciate any of your ideas here. Anything! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats