Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times

Advertisements

I posted this in my thread about Molly, but seeing it really is off topic, I started a new thread. This story is too darn precious for anyone to miss it. Please enjoy, and grab a tissue!!

(If I broke any rules about posting twice, moderator, please delete my last post in my Molly is in Heart Failure thread. Thank you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Garden, when I read your posts about Whispers I learned you have such a huge, golden heart... your pets are lucky guys/gals.

All your pets are in my prayers, I hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I know this is off topic, but this story about Whispers and Whiskers is so touching and I want you to hear it.

A year ago this past summer, a feral kitten showed up here, maybe all of 6 months, male of course. I began to feed him.

Winter came upon us and so I prepared the barn next door to us with blankets and such for this kitten, who asked me to call him Whiskers.

Last December, I saw who I thought was Whiskers on our front door sill. What in the world??? To be exact, the day was December the 12th. I didn't see much of him, but he ran when I tried to approach him, so I followed. I found him in our dog igloo and because again, of limited eye space, still thought it was Whiskers, but now I am thinking, OMG!!! he is so sick!!! I ran to get towels from the house (bitter cold day!) to carry him over to the barn.

At the time, I thought, oh oh, my house is full. No vacancy!!!

I carried this tiny kitten to the barn, and when I pulled back the towels I stood there shocked! For there in front of me stood Whiskers (?) emaciated, shaking, frozen barely alive! HUH??? Then, there was a noise in the rafters, and I looked up, getting my second shock! Whiskers was standing on one of the rafters, so who is in front of me who looks EXACTLY like Whiskers except for being close to death???

I didn't waste any more time. I ran back to our home, got food, and ran back with it. This kitten was so starving, he literally threw himself in the bowl of food with the last bit of his strength and couldn't move. He lay sprawled in the food, and gobbled as fast as he could. (of course later that night he threw all the food up!)

I began to ball my eyes out! OH OH OH! This poor baby I couldn't leave in the barn, for he wouldn't have made the night. He was nothing but bone! Yep! I scooped him up and brought him into the house, not having a clue where to put him. As I ran with him, I am desperately thinking how I am going to do this.... what, where, how, etc.......

Looooooooooooooooooooooong story short>>>>>He ended up in our mater bathroom, with the door closed, and that is where I nursed him back to health. I honestly didn't think he was going to make it that first night, and there was no way on earth I was going to subject a feral kitten, this sick to a vet hospital. Absolutely not! So, I took the responsibility and around the clock for months, brought him back to health.

That was last December through March. Zoom forward to today.

This kitten FYI wanted me to call him Whispers.

So, now we have Whiskers back here for food and shelter for the winter months, who is staying nights under our back stairs. (see Fed the White Stray thread to see pics of what we have done for a shelter)... Whispers, every single night, waits by the door (tears) for his brother, and when he sees him, gets so excited, begins to sing. He sings when he gets excited.

I moved one of our kitchen chairs right next to the glass on the door, and all night, every night, Whispers, lays on that chair and keeps his brother company. He gets the saddest look in his eyes sometimes as though he wants to smell and touch and be with his brother, but he knows that is not possible. Whispers is of a delicate nature, still very thin, and without any winter fur. He wouldn't make it outside at all. I just know.

I have never seen anything like this, never! These two cats look exactly alike, and they have the same type of personalities. They wanted very similar names.....Whispers and Whiskers. And the bond between these two is something that just clutches at my heart and does not let go. It was Whiskers who somehow brought his dying brother here to me, so that I could heal him. I still to this day don't know where they came from or how this little guy did what he did to get Whispers here.

I am ending this with questions. Is is possible that these two brothers came from ONE fertilized egg, as in identical twins?? Is that possible in cats??? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??? These two are soul mates, identical to look at except now Whiskers is larger then Whispers due to the necessary padding for winter from all the food I feed him. And Whiskers has a bushier tail then Whispers. They look alike, they act alike, and the bond.........wow!!! Unbelievable!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 PM

216 posts, read 829,823 times
Wow, that is really a wonderful story!
I am absolutely sure cats can have identical twins just like humans or other mammals, I don't have ANY medical proof for this, just know it...
But of course I will immediately start a new research...
Before DNA and all the latest modern science the only "proof" humans had for determining whether twins are fraternal or identical was whether they looked identical or not, so no proof whatsoever. The other proof (more acurate) was if they were in the same "bubble" (not looking any correct term up now, just writing along...) at birth, they grow in one "bubble" instead of a separate one for each baby (nowadays up to eight.....).

Humans normally just don't pay as close attention to bonds among cats as you do, GOE, it is not of interest to the average person, cats are cats, they all look alike and act alike.

Wait a minute...sure there are identical twins among other animals! I think I remember seeing pictures of Siamese twins, not humans, other animals, I'll have to check if I find something. Siamese twins are MOST CERTAINLY identical!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Alright, did my work, here's the result:
a few links on the possibility of identical twins in cats (of course it's possible) and the probability (not so much, although I don't really get why...), one link on medical proof, it's about conjoined twins, and the final link shows a picture of the absolute and final proof of identical twin cats, called the original Siamese twin cats :

Is it possible to have identical twin cats>?

Cat Magazines: Subscribe & read about kittens & cats at catChannel.com

FELINE MEDICAL CURIOSITIES: CONJOINED KITTENS

The original Siamese-Twin cat - Cheezburger.com

Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post
Alright, did my work, here's the result:
a few links on the possibility of identical twins in cats (of course it's possible) and the probability (not so much, although I don't really get why...), one link on medical proof, it's about conjoined twins, and the final link shows a picture of the absolute and final proof of identical twin cats, called the original Siamese twin cats :

Is it possible to have identical twin cats>?

Cat Magazines: Subscribe & read about kittens & cats at catChannel.com

FELINE MEDICAL CURIOSITIES: CONJOINED KITTENS

The original Siamese-Twin cat - Cheezburger.com
Awesome links, Ulri! Thank you. I just saw this now!

I came looking for this thread deliberately because something happened with Whispers last night that I would like to share with you. Maybe we can all learn a little more about feline behavior from this story.

Yesterday, my husband and I stopped at a bread store, and brought home a few loves of stone-milled bread in a large paper bag. Of course, me being who I am, I put the bag on the floor, to give my cats something "new" to play with. New scents. WOW!

Along comes Whispers. Keep in mind......Whispers is a feral cat.

I was on my way to give Molly her 8pm dose of Potassium when I heard water, like a tinkling. Oh, yes, I KNOW that sound! I stopped, backed up, and there is Whispers spraying the new bag.

I didn't yell. I didn't get angry. "Oh, Whispers, please stop, luv!!! Please!" And he did.........and then I went on to Molly.

I then went back to Whispers, who by this time had eyes as big as saucers because he knows it is a no-no what he just did. He is very smart. Then a "small-still voice" started "speaking" to me......called my Inner Guidance. And I listened. This is what I heard.

Do not yell at him, GOE. He is ONLY doing what is natural for him to do. He smelled something new, and of course, his instinct that is hardwired, came into play, and he automatically lifted his tail and sprayed. Now, he thinks he is in trouble........

So, I spoke softly to him. (lump in throat) Why lump in throat??? I normally yell and have done so too many times when the boys pee pee in this house!

I spoke to him with love in my voice. I explained to him that Mommy and Daddy live in this house too, and because we don't like pee pee out of the box, to please, please, Whispers, try a little harder next time NOT to spray. I told him that I understand that it is natural for him to do this, but now he must understand that he is living in a house, this house, and not outside int the wild.

I ended up the conversation, with Whispers giving me huge love blinks, and I giving them right back, and telling him verbally how much I love him and what a good boy he is. That's OK, Whispers, I said, we all learn through trial and error. This doesn't mean you are bad.

Does he understand me? I don't know. He seems to understand me. And at times I swear some of my cats know exactly what I am saying. So, I act as though he CAN understand me and leave it at that.......

I cleaned the pee, threw the bag away, and thought that was the end of it. Um, no. This morning, because I didn't clean the pee up good enough, the other boys got in the action as well, and sprayed all over my kitchen floor right where the bag was.

I still did not get angry. I just very quietly brought out my Floor-Mate, ready to clean up the mess, after I have my breakfast coffee and smoothie. Boys will be boys.........

And remember......I have mostly wild boys in here. It has been YEARS worth of discipline with them to try to break them from spraying. Some days are good and I think I am making progress, and others, YIVEH!

I am telling you this story so that maybe, next time one of your cats sprays outside of the box, to try to understand "the why" behind it. They are only doing what is natural to do. There are products out on the market to help one train cats to NOT go on surfaces that are absolutely off limits, and they work. The rest, is discipline, a lot of patience, and of course, a lot of love.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Cats spray to mark their territory if they smell another cat in/at that territory/item they consider theirs.
At least that's how I learned it and how my cats act. The two years they were fenced in at the old house they both never sprayed, indoors or outdoors, and they are siblings from the same litter, so no strangers to eachother. After I took the fence down they both (boy and girl, neutered/spayed) sprayed like maniacs, there were lots of cats around the old house, all "owned", but still well not LOTS but a few. I often sat on the porch at night and watched them all interact. Each cat has their very own territory he/she will defend no matter what (and females more than neutered males) and territory they share, but not at the same time, they take turns exploring the shared territory, and then they all spray like crazy ,one cat after another.
Indoors there neve was any spraying since there was no third or strange cat.
Where we live now there are no other cats outside the house, so no spraying there, and in the apartment there have never been cats before us, so no spraying here either. But since the move went so bad due to the buyers of my house I am secretly thinking of their female cat now spraying gallons and gallons all around our old house...vicious, I know.

I don't think my cats are any different than other cats. I've watched the neighbors' cats, the feral cats, the indoor only , the indoor/outdoor, etc.
I think I am different.
In my house we try to live a democracy. What they simply accept as ackward human behaviour I do the same vice versa. Suzie does not jump on the counter, never has and probably never will. Bobby needs to be as high up as possible, so it is arranged that he can do so safely.
I have the breaker to the electric stove turned off when the stove is not in use. The large knives are in the lower cabinets, as is everything else cat proof. There simply is no area or surface in this house where the cats are not allowed in or on. There are closets I keep closed and store dangerous things and the cats only have access in my company.
In reference to some other threads here I might add that I never thought of patting a cat because I wish to keep my fingers and hands whole.
I do not own a pistol of any kind and if so would only direct it towards any animal in self defense.
I use spray bottles only for window and surface cleaning, a water/vinegar mix. I don't want my cats to spray at me, I don't spray them either.
I have to this day never used the word "No" to any creature other than an annoying human, and I never will. The cats and I talk alot, and if they accidentally hurt me I pull away and turn around and walk away and sometimes I hiss. When Bobby jumps on the counter while I'm cooking I warn him and he immediately stops and watches me prepar dinner away from the stove. He likes to help. I appreciate that.
I love my cats, more than any human I've ever met, and they love me, at least that's what they show me.
If people think I'm crazy, well, I think they're crazy. The three of us are happy the way we live and interact, and that's the most important to me.

I assume Whispers sprayed the bag because another cat had already peed on it, without you noticing, Bobby has done that occasionally when he was little. A bag or towel or other item on the floor he would sometimes pee on it, the spraying outdoors came later in life.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Ulri, I wish I could rep you again. You are one awesome caretaker and I love the way your mind works. And also the way you observe true cat behavior so that you understand, is truly commendable. Thank you for your reply!

Whispers is a work in progress. Other boys in this "family" have learned, or are learning, about the "rules" and what Mommy and Daddy need to live in this house also. Whispers is one of the felines who I communicate clearly with, like clairvoyance, and with time, (and I am seeing it already with him) he will derive control over his instinct to spray. NOT easy coming from a feline's perspective by a long shot.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
I absolutely love everything you said! I often forget that some of the things we also do for our 9 furkids aren't considered the "norm" to many.

I bet you and I could exchange some prettttty good stories!

Quote:
I think I am different.
In my house we try to live a democracy. What they simply accept as ackward human behaviour I do the same vice versa. Suzie does not jump on the counter, never has and probably never will. Bobby needs to be as high up as possible, so it is arranged that he can do so safely.
I have the breaker to the electric stove turned off when the stove is not in use. The large knives are in the lower cabinets, as is everything else cat proof. There simply is no area or surface in this house where the cats are not allowed in or on. There are closets I keep closed and store dangerous things and the cats only have access in my company.
In reference to some other threads here I might add that I never thought of patting a cat because I wish to keep my fingers and hands whole.
I do not own a pistol of any kind and if so would only direct it towards any animal in self defense.
I use spray bottles only for window and surface cleaning, a water/vinegar mix. I don't want my cats to spray at me, I don't spray them either.
I have to this day never used the word "No" to any creature other than an annoying human, and I never will. The cats and I talk alot, and if they accidentally hurt me I pull away and turn around and walk away and sometimes I hiss. When Bobby jumps on the counter while I'm cooking I warn him and he immediately stops and watches me prepar dinner away from the stove. He likes to help. I appreciate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats