Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2021, 03:08 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Because you like his idea that this is about over. But it isn't.
1) Large swaths of the country are under-vaccinated.
2) More needs to be known about vaccination effectiveness, especially how likely it is that a breakthrough case will lead to significant post-viral symptoms, because for example 1% of people eventually getting long-COVID would be bad for society. If vaccines were better - which someday they'll be - that would be irrelevant.
Very true, goodheathen. There's still a sizeable number of people who aren't vaccinated but you know what? They'll never be. And while it may take longer for this to eventually evaporate or whatever it does, we'll have to live with the small number that refuse to take the vaccine.

Just stay on track, continue with what you've been doing and good luck.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:53 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
Quote:
Because you like his idea that this is about over. But it isn't.
1) Large swaths of the country are under-vaccinated.
2) More needs to be known about vaccination effectiveness, especially how likely it is that a breakthrough case will lead to significant post-viral symptoms, because for example 1% of people eventually getting long-COVID would be bad for society. If vaccines were better - which someday they'll be - that would be irrelevant.

It is likely not going to be over in the foreseeable future. Maybe we will get lucky and COVID will just just disappear. But, probably not likely. It seems we are going to have to live with this virus and that does not mean throwing all caution to the wind......it means trying to find a way to move forward. We have vaccines and from recent the news reports I have read & heard, it seems a oral antiviral medication could soon become available (side effects ?) So, if that comes about, that will be another tool to use against COVID. Personally, I think the COVID vaccines are quite good, considering how fast they were developed. I can't imagine research is not being done to try and improve them

I was given the shingles vaccine a few years ago......I still got shingles.....but, because I was vaccinated, my case was rather mild and no complications. Read about flu vaccine effectiveness in link below

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

[LEFT] https://www.newsweek.com/deer-are-ca...states-1652133[/LEFT]

Old 11-26-2021, 07:04 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
It seems we are going to have to live with this virus and that does not mean throwing all caution to the wind......it means trying to find a way to move forward.... I think the COVID vaccines are quite good, considering how fast they were developed. I can't imagine research is not being done to try and improve them.
Good points, tikkasf.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:33 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
This is not the time to relax and self-congratulate. COVID-19 is horrendously persistent. Even I'm surprised that something significantly more contagious than Delta could develop.
https://www.politico.eu/article/von-...virus-variant/

The natural complacency of humans is why we're in this nightmare, and some of us live in regions that are at high risk. Heaven help us if new antiviral drugs are effective and yet unpopular due to fear of side effects. The one coming first sounds only mildly effective - https://www.yahoo.com/news/fda-merck...141320601.html Fat chance that an adult population that probably has never been vaccinated much more than 60% for any disease is going to make an exception for better COVID-19 vaccines when they are developed.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:53 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
This is not the time to relax and self-congratulate. COVID-19 is horrendously persistent. Even I'm surprised that something significantly more contagious than Delta could develop.
https://www.politico.eu/article/von-...virus-variant/
I don't know what what you're saying means. Continue to lock down?

Old 11-26-2021, 10:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
This is not a lockdown.

Ban international travel to/from most places. Keep pushing vaccination and testing, discourage crowded indoor gatherings, encourage work-from-home, and pressure the current big three makers to improve their vaccines. Or don't do that and risk a takeover by a variant turning into a crisis with actual lockdown.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Quote:
This is not a lockdown.

Ban international travel to/from most places. Keep pushing vaccination and testing, discourage crowded indoor gatherings, encourage work-from-home, and pressure the current big three makers to improve their vaccines. Or don't do that and risk a takeover by a variant turning into a crisis with actual lockdown.

Just put everything on lockdown again and ban all gatherings with the only singular exemption for mobs looting (which is pretty much more "legal" than going into a store without a mask in the Bay Area).

Old 11-26-2021, 10:58 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Just put everything on lockdown again and ban all gatherings with the only singular exemption for mobs looting (which is pretty much more "legal" than going into a store without a mask in the Bay Area).
Link?

Old 11-26-2021, 11:22 PM

631 posts, read 289,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Link?
I believe the member was referring to our overall situation last summer.

If I'm reading it right, the message is that these extreme measures didn't get us to a resolution of the covid crisis.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
I believe the member was referring to our overall situation last summer.

If I'm reading it right, the message is that these extreme measures didn't get us to a resolution of the covid crisis.
Or the recent San Francisco crime wave where looters are going in high end stores and wiping them clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California