Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 06:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times

Advertisements

At this point, it's safe to assume that any busy location has COVID cases.

If wastewater monitoring includes PPM, then that might help a college determine whether to switch to virtual learning. A pre-high school facility isn't going to shut unless circumstances demand it.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
At this point, it's safe to assume that any busy location has COVID cases.

So you're just moving the goal posts. Gotcha.

If it's safe to assume this, why would we bother with testing at all? You JUST said more testing was necessary, THEN mentioned how you think we deviated from it because of cost AND NOW you're throwing your hands up saying we should just assume positive cases abound in high concentration environments.

You're right. You're human and I'll indulge you some inconsistency but it's not exactly infrequent in your case. It's more like the rule. No offense.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:14 PM

I'm inconsistent about how helpful vaccination is (and support it anyway). I'm not inconsistent about the rest. I repeat, "individual cases need to be detected to selectively quarantine people." If cases somehow mostly disappear and testing no longer happens routinely, waste monitoring would be an early warning system. I didn't say that all places have many COVID cases. But they are everywhere and need to be caught fast, because this situation is altogether unsustainable. Even chemicals for tests might eventually run out. Screening must eventually replace routine formal testing. Including water monitoring, temperature checks, and dogs (where, yes, the main concern apparently is the virus spreading among them).

Old 12-22-2021, 08:58 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I haven't seen anyone wearing cloth masks since last summer. And L.A. County pretty much never lost their mask mandate. It may have been Delta that caused most of us to switch over to N95 masks.
We didn't have to wear one till recently so I'm seeing neck gaiters and flimsy masks. I'm also seeing a lot of people that don't know Newsolini switched up or are just being defiant.

I went into a Riteaid and went to the counter and asked if I needed one and in unison all three workers said "NO". Ok then.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:17 AM

airport vs. airplane risks, and more of it
https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-c...131937493.html

Also, the government is considering cutting quarantine time greatly due to staffing shortages, but I see many problems with that, including shortages of tests.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
airport vs. airplane risks, and more of it
https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-c...131937493.html

Also, the government is considering cutting quarantine time greatly due to staffing shortages, but I see many problems with that, including shortages of tests.
You may see problems with it but our nations top experts don’t.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You may see problems with it but our nations top experts don’t.
Everyone can see the "top experts" have made many mistakes during the pandemic. Furthermore, at this point, you're a half-step above a COVID denier, and you should reflect on that instead of making a knee-jerk response.

If the shortened isolation comes with a test, the only medically responsible way to do it and the UK's new policy, that creates a burden on test availability. The presence of very recently sick people at work also would scare workers and customers. It would risk safety if some recovering workers are tired or wobbly and have jobs that involve physical labor. Also, it's probably not good for a person's health to rush him or her back to work after a draining illness (which COVID-19 often is if symptomatic).

Old 12-22-2021, 11:31 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Everyone can see the "top experts" have made many mistakes during the pandemic. Furthermore, at this point, you're a half-step above a COVID denier, and you should reflect on that instead of making a knee-jerk response.

If the shortened isolation comes with a test, the only medically responsible way to do it and the UK's new policy, that creates a burden on test availability. The presence of very recently sick people at work also would scare workers and customers. It would risk safety if some recovering workers are tired or wobbly and have jobs that involve physical labor. Also, it's probably not good for a person's health to rush him or her back to work after a draining illness (which COVID-19 often is if symptomatic).
I had none such symptoms and wouldn't even had known but my wife's boss got tested and tested + so we went in too.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
I have step above a Covid denier? Well, I guess thats better than a half step above an authoritarian. Most of what you write has been shown to be misguided, alarmist, and in many cases wrong. Id rather stick with people who have medical degrees than someone who looks longingly at the way China treats their citizens and longs for the same here.

Covid is very real. I had it. But the idea of shutting down society should not happen in a democracy that has access to vaccines and therapeutics.

All I need to reflect on is that Im very grateful you dont make decisions that affect other people.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:49 PM

I've been right more than anyone here, as far as I can tell. COVID-19 is alarming; to not be alarmed at all is denial.

To be in favor of restrictions on airplane travel and food & drink establishments when in key ways vaccines and therapeutics just lost a lot of effectiveness is very reasonable and far from calling for lockdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California