Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2021, 07:35 AM

26,736 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

The hope is that California, which still has one of the lowest coronavirus case rates in the nation, will be better equipped to handle an Omicron surge than other states that were still reeling from the Delta surge when Omicron started spreading.

“We’re starting off with a much better baseline. There are places like Wisconsin and the Northeast that are really in tough shape with hospitalizations — even before Omicron,” said Dr. Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla. “The hope is we will not incur major resource overrunning and staff overrunning in our hospitals throughout the state. But that’s still an unknown right now.”

Omicron is expected to move through the population rapidly, at a rate some experts have described as unprecedented on a global scale. “The timeline for Omicron spread is days, not weeks, as it was for Delta,” said San Francisco Health Director Dr. Grant Colfax. Still, he said, “it’s not a time to panic, but a time to be vigilant.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-and-questions

Old 12-23-2021, 08:30 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've been right more than anyone here, as far as I can tell. COVID-19 is alarming; to not be alarmed at all is denial.

To be in favor of restrictions on airplane travel and food & drink establishments when in key ways vaccines and therapeutics just lost a lot of effectiveness is very reasonable and far from calling for lockdown.
I literally just choked on my coffee reading that.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:47 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,313,475 times
I heard hospitals are overflowing again. Do we now have to brace for increased restrictions or lockdowns again? If we don’t I would totally conclude that the only difference between this year and last year is the reaction by politicians, the government, the generation population, business/venue owners and not to mention the mass media. As regardless of how much or little we know about the disease, the availablity of vaccines, the same reason they used to push all that dracon measures last year has clearly recurred this year. That Hospitals running out of beds they say. Even though this year they were reluctant to even return to mask mandates regardless of vaccination. From the very beginning It’s All about the reaction and political and media driven panic.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
I've been right more than anyone here, as far as I can tell. COVID-19 is alarming; to not be alarmed at all is denial.

To be in favor of restrictions on airplane travel and food & drink establishments when in key ways vaccines and therapeutics just lost a lot of effectiveness is very reasonable and far from calling for lockdown.
Lol no you haven't. You do realize we have searchable posting history right? Last year were you saying covid-19 came from a Wuhan lab, boosters would be needed, or we'd have vaccine mandates like many people (such as myself) were predicting? No you didn't. Now I will give you credit on seeing the light in some ways but you have not been right more than anyone here. Don't worry though because there's other posters who come by acting like they've been right all along too, even though you can look at their post history of them denying certain things would happen. It's hilarious to watch actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I heard hospitals are overflowing again. Do we now have to brace for increased restrictions or lockdowns again? If we don’t I would totally conclude that the only difference between this year and last year is the reaction by politicians, the government, the generation population, business/venue owners and not to mention the mass media. As regardless of how much or little we know about the disease, the availablity of vaccines, the same reason they used to push all that dracon measures last year has clearly recurred this year. That Hospitals running out of beds they say. Even though this year they were reluctant to even return to mask mandates regardless of vaccination. From the very beginning It’s All about the reaction and political and media driven panic.
The percentage of hospital beds filled are at about the same rates they were pre-pandemic during the winter. Don't believe the hype.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:57 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
The hospitals that are running out of beds are in places being ravaged by Delta, not Omicron.

We can compare our hospital situation to that of South Africa and UK here. South Africa and UK are coping remarkably well with Omicron in Hospital. Now, one could say the UK needs more time, but South Africa does not. The jury returned its verdict there:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-hospitalizations

Old 12-23-2021, 11:02 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Lol no you haven't. You do realize we have searchable posting history right? Last year were you saying covid-19 came from a Wuhan lab, boosters would be needed, or we'd have vaccine mandates like many people (such as myself) were predicting? No you didn't.
I did basically predict "boosters," just without using the word. If vaccines were going to wear off, something would be done to add protection.

I didn't predict mandates and I would have called that unlikely (except for kids, healthcare workers, and the military).

I never talk about where the virus comes from, because that affect almost nobody in day-to-day life. I've always thought it possible it's from a lab (very unlikely meant as a weapon). Also because we're not close to knowing where it comes from. Word of advice: don't predict without near-certainty and avoid predicting extremes and on what you want to happen. Then the track record is likely to be good.

Quote:
Now I will give you credit on seeing the light in some ways but you have not been right more than anyone here. Don't worry though because there's other posters who come by acting like they've been right all along too, even though you can look at their post history of them denying certain things would happen. It's hilarious to watch actually.
I'll take any credit I can get. Look at how people ignored the recap of my correct predictions.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I'll take any credit I can get. Look at how people ignored the recap of my correct predictions.
Youre an opinion giver which exactly what the rest of us are. No one deserves credit for anything and people who live for street cred on an internet forum (not referring to you or anyone specifically) need to re-evaluate their pathetic existence.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:27 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Look at how people ignored the recap of my correct predictions.
As the old saying goes, “even a broken clock is right twice a day”

Old 12-23-2021, 11:31 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

That is a panicky-sounding article and I don't expect Omicron to cause "long-haul COVID" in a high percentage of cases because it's mild in many or most cases, but that government officials probably haven't mentioned Omicron-induced chronic illness makes them untrustworthy. It would be a near-miracle if Omicron doesn't cause months of unwellness for at least 5% of people it infects, and that's bad for them and the economy.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

That is a panicky-sounding article and I don't expect Omicron to cause "long-haul COVID" in a high percentage of cases because it's mild in many or most cases, but that government officials probably haven't mentioned Omicron-induced chronic illness makes them untrustworthy. It would be a near-miracle if Omicron doesn't cause months of unwellness for at least 5% of people it infects, and that's bad for them and the economy.
It’s literally one persons opinion. No data attached to it and others disagree. Don’t lose sleep over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California