Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 07:32 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Those N95 masks...are much more uncomfortable than surgical or cloth masks and people may have to quit their job if they are forced to wear them 8+ hours a day. They really require a very tight fit and leave marks on your face while restricting breathing significantly.
Maybe you're confusing the N95 with the KN95?

Old 12-27-2021, 07:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Boosters were the answer to "waning immunity" or, more precisely, loss of effectiveness over time... which was predicted from before the vaccines were even in trials.

You're not saying anything profound here. Yeah, if better vaccines come to pass, I'm sure those will become the new standard. In other news, water is wet.

Prodding a shrinking pool of willing people to get boosters that are much more frequent than any vaccine used prior to 2020 is such bad strategy. I can't believe how little fight there is in people who aren't extremists toward the many kinds of bad decisions leaders have made. I think most people realize life is now bad, some ignore it in the belief that they personally can maintain old behavior without being burned, and others just accept it, but there's little call to make it better. Jimmy Carter's word, "malaise."

Old 12-27-2021, 07:48 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There's already a way to check to see if a vaccination record is valid, it's on your phone, you enter your info and get a digital record of it with a QR code. When I've been asked to prove I'm vaccinated they would not accept a printed card but instead required the QR code. https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/
Except no business is or will be doing this. It's like I9 when it first came out.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I'm not doubting any of this but what do people who don't own a smart phone do?
I vaguely recall some message from my health insurer about getting a digital variant of the card but so far, I have no use for either.

edit: A picture of my analog vax card was all I needed to submit to HR for my job.
Same. They are just doing CYA. They don't really care about anything else but being sued.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,032,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Prodding a shrinking pool of willing people to get boosters that are much more frequent than any vaccine used prior to 2020 is such bad strategy. I can't believe how little fight there is in people who aren't extremists toward the many kinds of bad decisions leaders have made. I think most people realize life is now bad, some ignore it in the belief that they personally can maintain old behavior without being burned, and others just accept it, but there's little call to make it better. Jimmy Carter's word, "malaise."

Because restrictions don't work and while people were willing to Shelter in Place for two weeks to flatten the curve, they are far less willing, to spend years with endless restrictions and fear. Staying alive by hiding in your home for years isn't the same as actually living.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Because restrictions don't work and while people were willing to Shelter in Place for two weeks to flatten the curve, they are far less willing, to spend years with endless restrictions and fear. Staying alive by hiding in your home for years isn't the same as actually living.
I was willing to accept the risk after about a few months once they realized the initial data was so flawed. That and I already had covid before everyone else was flipping their lids.

People are taking advantage of company's policy and insurance by claiming to have covid now. Free paid vacation.

I didn't miss a day because I didn't know what it was and I work from home.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Having to perpetually take risks in any activity beyond maybe household members (if they barely socialize) is hardly living.

There will be restrictions in San Francisco and Los Angeles for much of 2022. Maybe elsewhere in the state and of course outside it in New York.

Omicron seems genuinely so fast-moving that its infections can be slowed down by reduced travel, work from home, etc., and still drop off dramatically in weeks. Not hard to get through that. (If it causes Long-Covid more than rarely, that's a game-changer.) However, in the long run, the same old lifestyle and not much vaccine improvement will keep many of us restricted for much longer than that by COVID-19. Omicron is brought to you by people who didn't make lifestyle adjustments, and it's very likely not the last of its kind.

Last edited by goodheathen; 12-27-2021 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-27-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Having to perpetually take risks in any activity beyond maybe household members (if they barely socialize) is hardly living.

There will be restrictions in San Francisco and Los Angeles for much of 2022. Maybe elsewhere in the state and of course outside it in New York.

Omicron seems genuinely so fast-moving that its infections can be slowed down by reduced travel, work from home, etc., and still drop off dramatically in weeks. Not hard to get through that. (If it causes Long-Covid more than rarely, that's a game-changer.) However, in the long run, the same old lifestyle and not much vaccine improvement will keep many of us restricted for much longer than that by COVID-19. Omicron is brought to you by people who didn't make lifestyles adjustments, and it's very likely not the last of its kind.

What about people who don't have household members to do things with? People who live alone are essentially being asked to spend years in solitary confinement which has been outlawed even for prisoners.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
What about people who don't have household members to do things with? People who live alone are essentially being asked to spend years in solitary confinement which has been outlawed even for prisoners.
That was my Mom. Mid 70s, spent two years pretty much in prison. Even she has had enough.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That was my Mom. Mid 70s, spent two years pretty much in prison. Even she has had enough.

There is a point when even the most at-risk people have to make quality-of-life decisions for themselves rather than letting the government tell them that they can't see their grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California