Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 07:18 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Looks like some preliminary research looks promising. I think likely more study will be needed.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...event-covid-19
Interesting link, tikkasf, and with the headline: "Why You Should Not Use Ivermectin to Treat or Prevent COVID-19"

Old 09-15-2021, 07:38 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-16459110.php

"California no longer has a “high” level of community coronavirus transmission, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The state joins two others, Vermont and Connecticut, in improving to reach the “substantial” tier of the agency’s risk chart — indicating that is has between 50 and 99 new daily cases per 100,000 residents — for the first time since the delta variant of the coronavirus brought the summer COVID surge"
It’s interesting why the state didn’t keep all state funded schools closed until the wave comes down which based on data shows highly likely to be sometime in September to avoid the super spreading in schools while the wave is high. If they waited till second week of September it’s highly likely that back to school spread will not be as bad. Many kids had to be quarantined the last two months including some that I know after suspected been exposed these days. Though I assume schools still need a contingency plan should they have to close again due to an outbreak down the year which is likely to happen again November-December. Or when many out of class due to getting sick to make sure they don’t fall behind on school work..

Old 09-15-2021, 08:09 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
It’s interesting why the state didn’t keep all state funded schools closed until the wave comes down which based on data shows highly likely to be sometime in September to avoid the super spreading in schools while the wave is high. If they waited till second week of September it’s highly likely that back to school spread will not be as bad. Many kids had to be quarantined the last two months including some that I know after suspected been exposed these days. Though I assume schools still need a contingency plan should they have to close again due to an outbreak down the year which is likely to happen again November-December. Or when many out of class due to getting sick to make sure they don’t fall behind on school work..

It's a total mess right now and there's no actual contingency plan from the state eighteen months into this. Worse yet, there's motions in the legislature which would require a return to hybrid learning which everybody (teachers, students and parents) hated, for those forced to quarantine.

They've had so much time to put something in place to address these issues and it's been squandered on worthless projects instead. What if a novel virus emerges again this coming winter? We will be back to square one. We're almost back to square one with the latest variants of concern with the current virus. All levels of government have dropped the ball on this.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:25 PM

More than 82% of Californians ages 12 and older have at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine. Only nine states have more of their population immunized.

Why California has one of the lowest COVID-19 rates:
https://www.wionews.com/world/why-ca...9-rates-413603

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/u...vid-cases.html

Old 09-18-2021, 07:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Be glad y'all are in CA. I'm in the Midwest right now and just talked to a nurse. She says there is no ER available in the entire state as all beds are filled with covid patients. She is ANGRY with the unvaxxed for filling up the hospitals and burning out her and her colleagues. I've never heard a HC professional so mad at her patients before. Like she's ready to just dump the anti vaxxers in a ditch to die so she can save people with real incurable diseases and conditions.

Meanwhile, nobody is masking anywhere. It feels like Berlin when the allies were approaching. Like everyone is just walking around in denial. Like it is literally a circus of crazy here in flyover country. I can't wait to come home to a place where people still have some grip on reality, and you can get emergency care if u need it.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Be glad y'all are in CA. I'm in the Midwest right now and just talked to a nurse. She says there is no ER available in the entire state as all beds are filled with covid patients. She is ANGRY with the unvaxxed for filling up the hospitals and burning out her and her colleagues. I've never heard a HC professional so mad at her patients before. Like she's ready to just dump the anti vaxxers in a ditch to die so she can save people with real incurable diseases and conditions.

Meanwhile, nobody is masking anywhere. It feels like Berlin when the allies were approaching. Like everyone is just walking around in denial. Like it is literally a circus of crazy here in flyover country. I can't wait to come home to a place where people still have some grip on reality, and you can get emergency care if u need it.
I'm very glad to be in California, we have the lowest Covid positivity rate in the US:

Quote:
California, which at one point was the country's epicenter of COVID-19, is now the state reporting the lowest positivity rate per 100,000 people, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. As of Saturday evening, 24.99 new confirmed cases were reported for every 100,000 people in California, Johns Hopkins University data found.

The state reported a daily average of 8,172 new cases over the past eight weeks, and averaged 92 deaths due to COVID-19 complications per day during that same time period, according to the California Department of Health. As of Saturday, more than 77% of California's population is vaccinated, according to the state's Health Department. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califor...ty-rate-in-us/

Old 09-19-2021, 03:24 AM

Wouldn't 25/100k be well into 'purple' tier?
We may be doing better than a lot of places, but we'd be locked down right now under the old system. It makes it really hard to believe an emergency still exists considering the state is no longer saying these levels of infection are alarming. The governor's press releases don't even mention covid anymore.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:53 AM

Two of Gavin Newsom’s children test positive for coronavirus; the governor has not:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...or-coronavirus

Old 09-19-2021, 08:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Wouldn't 25/100k be well into 'purple' tier?
We may be doing better than a lot of places, but we'd be locked down right now under the old system. It makes it really hard to believe an emergency still exists considering the state is no longer saying these levels of infection are alarming. The governor's press releases don't even mention covid anymore.
We aren't just doing better than "a lot of places" we are doing better than any other state. And I don't think anyone said that the levels of infection aren't alarming, of course they are.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We aren't just doing better than "a lot of places" we are doing better than any other state. And I don't think anyone said that the levels of infection aren't alarming, of course they are.

It's what the state isn't saying that matters. Even using the revised March 2021 metric, we're over double the number for purple tier statewide. The motivation behind retiring the blueprint for a safer economy (aka the color chart) in June was predicated on the notion that the vaccines would help us turn the corner for good. That hasn't happened though. The case numbers peaked in mid-July. We'd be shut down completely again if not for the fact the state is now simply ignoring taking action on what was once considered severe.

With flu season on the horizon and much of the world returning to normal, I'm guessing those numbers will normalize for any regular year. Then what? The whole point of "flattening the curve" during the "two week" shutdown in March 2020 was to not overload the system and crush hospital capacity. A normal flu year coupled with the same up and down covid case pattern which last year meant closing everything, could be a disaster. The people in charge don't seem to think this is alarming at all. Why the big change in attitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California