Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 02:52 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So why is that ok now? They're already doing those things.

Just seems like a bit of a double standard some people and the media flip out about voter ID laws because how they supposedly affect blacks but its okay now with vaccine mandates. Where is the outreach to get people ID's?

Would it ever be ok with you? (a vaccination requirement)

Old 09-23-2021, 03:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Would it ever be ok with you? (a vaccination requirement)
Very high risk settings mainly; hospitals, nursing homes, etc..

Old 09-23-2021, 10:18 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
I don't really think availability is an issue. Seems a bit of a double standard that some people are okay with a mandate that disproportionally affects black people now.
Quote:
Rubbish......I suspect that the real issue is those who don't like vaccine mandates and hence are pointing out that black people seem to be disproportionately affected.......instead of suggesting ways to get the vaccine rate up in the black community......such as a campaign to counteract disinformation regarding vaccines

From a link within that NPR piece:
Black Americans’ covid-19 vaccination rates are still lagging months into the nation’s campaign, while Hispanics are closing the gap and Native Americans show the highest rates overall, according to federal data obtained by KHN.

The data, provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in response to a public records request, gives a sweeping national look at the race and ethnicity of vaccinated people on a state-by-state basis. Yet nearly half of those vaccination records are missing race or ethnicity information.

Access to medicine based on race, the "uptake" they're talking about, is being measured with only half the information being available.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:06 PM

'A disaster': How San Francisco's office mask mandate is impacting restaurants, bars

Wearing a mask in a grocery store for a little while is not a big issue," Chun said. "Wearing a mask in a restaurant when you get to take it off to eat and drink is not a big issue either. But for the Financial District's offices, people don’t want to come into an office if they have to mask up for 10 hours, especially if they're vaccinated. People are not coming back until that's removed, and we won’t have customers until it's removed. There is definitely a financial cost."

However, on the topic of the office mask mandate and the general idea that there's little-to-no costs to mask mandates, the group was less supportive.

"I absolutely disagree with the idea mask mandates have no cost," Mason said. "There’s a huge cost to mask mandates and we're seeing how the office one is destroying businesses in the Financial District for sure. It’s hurting me, it's hurting my workers, it has costs."

Old 09-24-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
'A disaster': How San Francisco's office mask mandate is impacting restaurants, bars

Wearing a mask in a grocery store for a little while is not a big issue," Chun said. "Wearing a mask in a restaurant when you get to take it off to eat and drink is not a big issue either. But for the Financial District's offices, people don’t want to come into an office if they have to mask up for 10 hours, especially if they're vaccinated. People are not coming back until that's removed, and we won’t have customers until it's removed. There is definitely a financial cost."

However, on the topic of the office mask mandate and the general idea that there's little-to-no costs to mask mandates, the group was less supportive.

"I absolutely disagree with the idea mask mandates have no cost," Mason said. "There’s a huge cost to mask mandates and we're seeing how the office one is destroying businesses in the Financial District for sure. It’s hurting me, it's hurting my workers, it has costs."

A "disaster" is the opinion of whomever was interviewed for the news article. From the what I read in the article, it seems the dept of SF Dept of Public Health is likely going to going to start relaxing the mask mandates. SF is a rather densely populated city and hence SF Dept of Public Health may have erred on the side of caution. On the other hand, we can also see what happened in other places in regard to the Delta variant......Idaho comes to mind.......hospitals had became so overloaded with patients that they were given permission to start rationing care.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
A "disaster" is the opinion of whomever was interviewed for the news article. From the what I read in the article, it seems the dept of SF Dept of Public Health is likely going to going to start relaxing the mask mandates. SF is a rather densely populated city and hence SF Dept of Public Health may have erred on the side of caution. On the other hand, we can also see what happened in other places in regard to the Delta variant......Idaho comes to mind.......hospitals had became so overloaded with patients that they were given permission to start rationing care.
You mean business owners there? Obviously, who else would be saying that? Overzealous is more like it especially in a place with one of the highest vaccination rates in the country, maybe even world. NYC is denser and has no indoor mask mandate. Idaho has a much lower vaccination rate and different culture compared to SF, what a terrible comparison.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You mean business owners there? Obviously, who else would be saying that? Overzealous is more like it especially in a place with one of the highest vaccination rates in the country, maybe even world. NYC is denser and has no indoor mask mandate. Idaho has a much lower vaccination rate and different culture compared to SF, what a terrible comparison.

Well of course, whatever business owner/s they interviewed for the article. I think the SF Dept of Health decided to error on the side of caution and it seems they realize it is time to reevaluate . If you choose the word "overzealous" to describe it, then we just have a bit of a disagreement. Your in entitled to your opinion that it was a "terrible" comparison in regard to Idaho....it was just something that came to mind. I could spend some time if I wanted to find a better comparison that might satisfy you......but, in your case it frankly is just not worth the effort. I doubt we will find agreement on much of anything......
At least though you referred to a article in the SF Gate this time, instead of the DC Examiner as before

Old 09-24-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Well of course, whatever business owner/s they interviewed for the article. I think the SF Dept of Health decided to error on the side of caution and it seems they realize it is time to reevaluate . If you choose the word "overzealous" to describe it, then we just have a bit of a disagreement. Your in entitled to your opinion that it was a "terrible" comparison in regard to Idaho....it was just something that came to mind. I could spend some time if I wanted to find a better comparison that might satisfy you......but, in your case it frankly is just not worth the effort. I doubt we will find agreement on much of anything......
At least though you referred to a article in the SF Gate this time, instead of the DC Examiner as before
It wouldn't really make a difference anyways because I doubt you'll find an urban city in a blue state with overflowing hospitals. People like yourself usually have to go the red state/low vax area extreme to try and make a point. Plus I just compared it to NYC...

Most of my articles are from SF Gate, I've maybe posted one or two from the Washington Examiner. Why does that matter anyways? Dislike different types of sources I take it?

Old 09-24-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't really make a difference anyways because I doubt you'll find an urban city in a blue state with overflowing hospitals. People like yourself usually have to go the red state/low vax area extreme to try and make a point. Plus I just compared it to NYC...

Most of my articles are from SF Gate, I've maybe posted one or two from the Washington Examiner. Why does that matter anyways? Dislike different types of sources I take it?

I read articles from multiple sources and all are not on one side of the political spectrum. If I recall correctly, earlier on in the pandemic, there were some states that lean blue that had over flowing hospitals....and not all that long ago, MI was not looking good.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:

That doesn't make much sense, you walk into a restaurant or bar with a mask on, when you are seated you take it off - what the heck is so awful about that? My guess is that the biggest problem with their business is the number of people who are still working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California