Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 05:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Wonder and wish in one hand and $hit in the other, see which one piles up quicker.

Wondering and wishing is just an extension of refusing to join the real world. There are certain things that have a zero percent chance of happening. Most of your wishlist falls into that category. Even if some of it may be for the better, it’s pointless to hope for it.

As for my remarks about omicron, who wouldn’t trade transmission for severity?
Who wouldn't? Most experts, it seems. Meanwhile, it looks like Omicron can cause deaths, rarely, and nobody knows whether it causes long-COVID. If it does and more than rarely, it's a disaster.

I think subway vaccine passports are likely, just not soon. It would be a good way to twists the arms of poorer people who don't have health insurance (with higher premiums for unvaccinated coming, I assume) or jobs with vaccine mandates and also keep homeless people out.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:48 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Who wouldn't? Most experts, it seems. Meanwhile, it looks like Omicron can cause deaths, rarely, and nobody knows whether it causes long-COVID. If it does and more than rarely, it's a disaster.

I think subway vaccine passports are likely, just not soon. It would be a good way to twists the arms of poorer people who don't have health insurance (with higher premiums for unvaccinated coming, I assume) or jobs with vaccine mandates and also keep homeless people out.
Omicron hasn’t killed ANYONE.

As for who wouldn’t trade severity for transmission, not ONE EXPERT has said that.

It doesn’t matter what you think are good ideas. You nor I make decisions. What is realistic is for nothing to change.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:11 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:

vaccine "passports" will be another thing on craigslist and ebay, a hot item guaranteed.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
It is not a good thing that a apparently even more transmissible COVID variant has appeared. But, perhaps there is a solver lining to be had with this variant, if the early indications hold that the Omnicron variant causes less serious illness then the Delta variant and if Omicron can crowd out Delta. Too soon to know at this time.......

Old 12-08-2021, 06:17 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
vaccine "passports" will be another thing on craigslist and ebay, a hot item guaranteed.

I believe companies like Ebay have been warned already by Uncle Sam to police their sites for this type of activity

Old 12-08-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Omicron hasn’t killed ANYONE.

As for who wouldn’t trade severity for transmission, not ONE EXPERT has said that.

It doesn’t matter what you think are good ideas. You nor I make decisions. What is realistic is for nothing to change.
"South Africa reported nearly 20,000 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, a record since the Omicron variant was detected, and 36 new COVID-related deaths."

It's worth mentioning it's now summer in South Africa. Let's assume that flu and pneumonia in that country are more common in its colder months. Opportunistic secondary infections kill a fair number of people who already have COVID-19.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
Quote:
Your skin must be real thin if you thought that was a personal attack.

He lives in an ivory tower with no concept of reality. Stopping Covid transmission at all costs with endless restrictions with no concept of the other issues that plague our society and the reality that if our government can't even control crime, there is no way they can enforce capacity restrictions. If looters don't have to show a vaccine card or Covid test before they gather in mobs and ransack luxury stores, why should weddings, theaters, and other perfectly civilized gatherings of groups of people having fun be subject to those endless restrictions?

Old 12-08-2021, 10:21 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I believe companies like Ebay have been warned already by Uncle Sam to police their sites for this type of activity
Warned. That's funny.

There are people, immigrants legal or not , selling this crap on the boardwalk. That's hardly a solution. South Mission Beach there are multiple people WITH BOOTHS selling fake covid cards. A hop skip to a "passport". Welcome Refugees. I'm guessing LA is to the tenth power.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:46 PM

Government can handle multiple problems at once. Some of which have almost nothing to do with this topic and don't belong here.

Capacity limits were in place until this summer and didn't seem to generate much objection from businesses. Most or all buildings already had occupancy limits. Some concerts already require permits, which specify capacity. Almost all concerts have ticket sales, so it's easy to measure attendance. I think insurance companies are starting to have qualms about large concerts. Movie ticket sales are struggling, so not much reason to worry about superspreading there. Also, there are housing inspectors and fire marshals, you know. There might be a problem with crowding in restaurants and bars at night, hence curfew as another tool. Or pulling alcohol licenses for places that are blatantly overcrowded. The major problem spot is schools. They're designed to pack kids in, it's hard to find enough space elsewhere, and buses themselves are pro-crowding. If Omicron gets into schools, things will go bad fast.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:09 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
The major problem spot is schools. They're designed to pack kids in, it's hard to find enough space elsewhere, and buses themselves are pro-crowding. If Omicron gets into schools, things will go bad fast.

uh-uh.
When's the last time you set foot on a public K-12 campus anywhere in this state? You have no idea the extent of which protocols are implemented but as usual, you're full of guesses and speculation which are all doom and gloom (and wrong as usual).

Get your shots, avoid the public as much as possible and when you do, wear your mask --and stop overthinking this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California