Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 10:07 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's funny that you said that. I was talking to an acquaintance at the store yesterday and mentioned I hadn't seen her for awhile, she said she and her husband had been sick with covid for a few weeks, that they went to a family reunion with about 20 people and she and her husband and kids were the only ones vaccinated. She said out of 20 people 10 got covid and two are still in the hospital, I asked where it happened and it was the same little tiny town that my sister in law lives in. I called my sister in law and told her about it and she said "you're kidding me, several members of that family go to our church!" That sort of weirded me out.
That has to be the highest individual ratio of people getting it I have ever heard of. Not saying it didn't happen but the highest I've ever heard of. Even the original cruise ships didn't have a ratio that high. Your "acquaintance" may have been exaggerating a smidge.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:23 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
It's funny that you said that. I was talking to an acquaintance at the store yesterday and mentioned I hadn't seen her for awhile, she said she and her husband had been sick with covid for a few weeks, that they went to a family reunion with about 20 people and she and her husband and kids were the only ones vaccinated. She said out of 20 people 10 got covid and two are still in the hospital, I asked where it happened and it was the same little tiny town that my sister in law lives in. I called my sister in law and told her about it and she said "you're kidding me, several members of that family go to our church!" That sort of weirded me out.
I believe it. Those little towns either don't get it at all or are saturated. I went to school in a small town and was supposed to attend my 50+1 year HS Reunion a few weeks ago but I cancelled as did most of the people. Out of 300+ graduates, only 59 showed up. Frankly, the whole HS reunion thing still weirds me out. I mean you spend 48 months with these people M-F and yet you're somehow connected to them the rest of your life. No thanks. I see the ones I want to see and wish the rest all the best.

But yeah, I get it. It's strange how connected we really are simply by one little bug traveling over the world.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
If many of the attendees were minors, it's very possible.

Besides, there's this disaster, with much better vaccination compliance.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/6414941001/
COVID-19 infected some pre-vaccine major midwestern prison at a higher rate than that. On cruise ships, most people spend plenty of time outdoors. Was the family reunion indoors?

Old 12-07-2021, 11:05 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
If many of the attendees were minors, it's very possible.

Besides, there's this disaster, with much better vaccination compliance.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/6414941001/
COVID-19 infected some pre-vaccine major midwestern prison at a higher rate than that. On cruise ships, most people spend plenty of time outdoors. Was the family reunion indoors?
All that really matter to most of us

The infected staff were all fully vaccinated and are showing no symptoms, Europa Press said, citing unidentified hospital sources.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That has to be the highest individual ratio of people getting it I have ever heard of. Not saying it didn't happen but the highest I've ever heard of. Even the original cruise ships didn't have a ratio that high. Your "acquaintance" may have been exaggerating a smidge.
I've never known her to exaggerate, but maybe the issue is that you don't know as much as you think you do. It's actually fairly common with unvaccinated people gathering in close quarters. Here's a few cases, and if you are unconvinced you might want to try google and find some others, there are plenty of them.

Quote:
...a recent situation in Catawba County where more than two dozen people attended a family gathering. Folks did not wear masks or observe physical distancing at this gathering, and 14 people who attended subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. Before they started to show symptoms, they continued with their daily lives, such as going to work or taking a beach trip with other families. This set into motion a person-to-person contact chain that to date has spread COVID-19 to 41 people in 9 different families and 8 different workplaces. https://www.catawbacountync.gov/news...-a-case-study/
Quote:
About 25 people attended the party at a house, and Calderon said just one person wore a mask — her 81-year-old grandmother. Calderon started to feel ill a few days later, and she tested positive for the coronavirus on Oct. 20. Ten other people who were there also got sick, she said, including her grandmother.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...al-gatherings/
Quote:
Alexa had plans that kept her from the party but dropped off her mother, Enriqueta Aragonez, who’s 57. There were 11 other people at the house, all younger than her mother, including her pregnant cousin and four children under the age of 12. They ate food and shared conversation, not coming in close for any pictures, and left. It was a couple days later that some people, including Enriqueta, began to feel what seemed like the early symptoms of a cold, or the coronavirus. On Nov. 4, fearing the worst, those at the party and their family members went to get tested. All 12 people at the party returned positive test results, and the virus had spread to three more people.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/c...#storylink=cpy

Old 12-08-2021, 07:15 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
I've never known her to exaggerate, but maybe the issue is that you don't know as much as you think you do. It's actually fairly common with unvaccinated people gathering in close quarters. Here's a few cases, and if you are unconvinced you might want to try google and find some others, there are plenty of them.
Some just do not want to believe this.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
It's actually fairly common with unvaccinated people gathering in close quarters.
And it's known to happen to vaccinated people. I'd thought that we were all pretty free of having to wear masks outside. Recently I found out that my sister’s tennis partner went to lunch at a patio restaurant with several friends. They were all sitting very close to each other, and spent over 2 hours eating and talking. A few days later, one of these friends called to say she'd tested positive. The fully vaccinated tennis partner got it, and said she was in bed for over a week. I'd thought we were safe outside with no masks. My take on it: go back to staying 6 feet apart--outdoors--and if you get any closer, wear a mask.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And it's known to happen to vaccinated people. I'd thought that we were all pretty free of having to wear masks outside. Recently I found out that my sister’s tennis partner went to lunch at a patio restaurant with several friends. They were all sitting very close to each other, and spent over 2 hours eating and talking. A few days later, one of these friends called to say she'd tested positive. The fully vaccinated tennis partner got it, and said she was in bed for over a week. I'd thought we were safe outside with no masks. My take on it: go back to staying 6 feet apart--outdoors--and if you get any closer, wear a mask.
That's what I suspected all along. Risk lower than indoors, but worth it? To me, unless it's close to six-foot distance at a table, no. If the risk is proven to be more than slight, the restaurant industry is in major trouble.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:20 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Some nth-degree of separation tall tale of a hypochondriac exaggerating that she was "In bed for over a week" is hardly hospitalized or dead. Sounds like a normal cold to me.

Time to lift restrictions, vax mandates, and be done with this. The best way to get the holdouts (who will ever be willing) to get their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or nth dose, is to sunset the "free" price tag a couple of months after each new vax recommendation comes out.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:43 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ated-by-choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California