Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 10:56 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,746,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
If the risk is proven to be more than slight, the restaurant industry is in major trouble.
The restaurant industry will be fine. The unvaxxed who aren't worried about this and have never been worried will continue to go, and people like me who are triple vaxxed at this point and not worried will go. If others too afraid to venture out stay home, great, more elbow room for me and the unvaxxed. But I'd hardly say the industry is in "major trouble".

Old 12-08-2021, 11:24 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
You don't understand the small margins most restaurants operate on. Plus, there are times in NYC and Los Angeles at least where restaurants likely will be told to close indoor dining due to very high community transmission of COVID-19. I anticipate improvement in contact tracing, too, which will lead to infections traced back to specific restaurants and them closed temporarily for decontamination and for workers to quarantine until the exposure time is over. Also, lunch dining is poised for another hit nationwide, if more workplaces move back to virtual when Omicron becomes common. Word gets around privately about things, so outdoor dining as not so safe, indoor dining even less safe for the fully vaccinated, and increased COVID likely equates to another wave of permanent closures coming.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:46 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Some nth-degree of separation tall tale of a hypochondriac exaggerating that she was "In bed for over a week" is hardly hospitalized or dead. Sounds like a normal cold to me.

Time to lift restrictions, vax mandates, and be done with this. The best way to get the holdouts (who will ever be willing) to get their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or nth dose, is to sunset the "free" price tag a couple of months after each new vax recommendation comes out.
It's almost like they WANT to go back on lock down. The entire town got the covids. These tales are getting taller and taller. Martha from podunk said Karen from E podunk had a bridge party and everyone got the covids. Not like many of these small towns have reliable easy to access testing.

Still less than 1% chance of dying from it. Not worth not living just because of that fear you might be the 1%er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
The restaurant industry will be fine. The unvaxxed who aren't worried about this and have never been worried will continue to go, and people like me who are triple vaxxed at this point and not worried will go. If others too afraid to venture out stay home, great, more elbow room for me and the unvaxxed. But I'd hardly say the industry is in "major trouble".
Agreed, it's nice to be able to go in and not wait for a table.

Moderator cut: quoted post removed

It's actually quite sad. After having actual covid, the vaccine almost did me in. I'm not getting a booster until I'm done with the damage the vax did.

Covid was nothing. I got tired and slept the weekend. Felt just fine Monday am. Life goes on.

Last edited by Count David; 12-09-2021 at 07:45 AM..

Old 12-08-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The restaurants that rarely or never have waits are restaurants that are financially struggling. The industry's profit model is basically incompatible with prevalent illness. I am for government propping up restaurants somehow, but it can only do so much and the programs during lockdown hardly seemed to help. The government can and should mandate vaccination, testing, and N95 masks for all restaurant employees, but that wouldn't help enough, with probably most spread at restaurants between customers.

Quote:
It's actually quite sad. After having actual covid, the vaccine almost did me in. I'm not getting a booster until I'm done with the damage the vax did.

Covid was nothing. I got tired and slept the weekend. Felt just fine Monday am. Life goes on.
But that wasn't Delta, was it? Meanwhile, the pandemic goes on.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You don't understand the small margins most restaurants operate on. Plus, there are times in NYC and Los Angeles at least where restaurants likely will be told to close indoor dining due to very high community transmission of COVID-19. I anticipate improvement in contact tracing, too, which will lead to infections traced back to specific restaurants and them closed temporarily for decontamination and for workers to quarantine until the exposure time is over.
Some places are DONE with lockdowns, not happening again. Not unless we start seeing infections and deaths like we saw at the beginning, and even then I'm not sure some places, like Florida, would lock down again. If LA and NYC want to destroy their economies, have at it I guess. The restaurants there will decide it's not worth doing business there and will move out. Won't hurt the industry much, but will mean less options for you.

Contact tracing? HA! They barely did that at restaurants when we were scared of this, they aren't going to start doing it now. I've been to restaurants a lot in San Diego recently. For the most part life is back to normal, even pre-pandemic levels. There are only a few places wearing masks and many of those are fast-food chains.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:34 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's almost like they WANT to go back on lock down. The entire town got the covids. These tales are getting taller and taller. Martha from podunk said Karen from E podunk had a bridge party and everyone got the covids. Not like many of these small towns have reliable easy to access testing.

Still less than 1% chance of dying from it. Not worth not living just because of that fear you might be the 1%er.

I know someone else who had COVID and had mild symptoms similar to yours.....and I know someone else who spent nearly 3 weeks in the hospital, part of the time being on a ventilator and had lingering issues issues after he got out of the hospital......fortunately, this individual still had his job waiting for him.

I think it is a bit more then people being concerned that they will be the 1% er that dies......it is also the possibility of ending up in the hospital, ending up in ICU on a ventilator an/or end up with "long COVID"
That is not to say that I don't believe we are going to have to find a way to manage & live with this virus

I am curious, what % of those who got vaxxed had an reaction as bad as you did ? Perhaps 1% or ?
Had my haircut yesterday. The women who cut my hair had her booster shot. She told he she had a few mild body aches that evening and felt a bit lazy the next day.....but, still went out and shopping with her husband. She said her husband had no noticeable negative reaction to his booster shot.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Some places are DONE with lockdowns, not happening again. Not unless we start seeing infections and deaths like we saw at the beginning, and even then I'm not sure some places, like Florida, would lock down again. If LA and NYC want to destroy their economies, have at it I guess. The restaurants there will decide it's not worth doing business there and will move out. Won't hurt the industry much, but will mean less options for you.

Contact tracing? HA! They barely did that at restaurants when we were scared of this, they aren't going to start doing it now. I've been to restaurants a lot in San Diego recently. For the most part life is back to normal, even pre-pandemic levels. There are only a few places wearing masks and many of those are fast-food chains.
Big city governments are completely incompetent if they're not already ramping up contact tracing with Omicron coming. Furthermore, with the multiple holes in the vaccination campaign, one of the only options to make up for that and better control virus spread is more contact tracing.

My suspicion is independent restaurants that are affordable to most will largely disappear in areas of high contagion and meaningful mitigation efforts. In vaccine-passport areas, I could see a few high-end, very popular restaurants requiring testing between when the reservation is made and the actual dining happens. The more common home-based testing becomes, the more likely restaurants implement that policy. I could see the government eventually requiring recent testing for large indoor reservations at restaurants. Meanwhile, perhaps some employers telling workers not to dine within restaurants during work hours.

Last edited by goodheathen; 12-08-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 01:33 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I know someone else who had COVID and had mild symptoms similar to yours.....and I know someone else who spent nearly 3 weeks in the hospital, part of the time being on a ventilator and had lingering issues issues after he got out of the hospital......fortunately, this individual still had his job waiting for him.

I think it is a bit more then people being concerned that they will be the 1% er that dies......it is also the possibility of ending up in the hospital, ending up in ICU on a ventilator an/or end up with "long COVID"
That is not to say that I don't believe we are going to have to find a way to manage & live with this virus

I am curious, what % of those who got vaxxed had an reaction as bad as you did ? Perhaps 1% or ?
Had my haircut yesterday. The women who cut my hair had her booster shot. She told he she had a few mild body aches that evening and felt a bit lazy the next day.....but, still went out and shopping with her husband. She said her husband had no noticeable negative reaction to his booster shot.
I'm sure I am an outlier. Pretty sure I had some lingering covid leftover somethin somethin when I went to get the vax but the vax ripped my immune system to shreds. I'm a fairly healthy person most of the time. I'm a triathlete and addicted to working out.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Big city governments are completely incompetent if they're not already ramping up contact tracing with Omicron coming.
Do you honestly believe big city governments are competent? I'd start with the baseline assumption that all those who work in government are morons and go from there...

Quote:

In vaccine-passport areas, I could see a few high-end, very popular restaurants requiring testing between when the reservation is made and the actual dining happens.

I laughed at this one as was about to call you insane for saying it... but I suppose some high end restaurants may do this in crazy areas like LA and NY, but I don't think it will catch on.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:32 PM

Some countries have more competent governments. The American public is letting this happen. "Lift all restrictions!" Sure, brilliant

After I thought up the testing idea, I looked with Google. Restaurants have done it, but maybe only in lieu of vaccination. Now with it mandated, I don't know and I do not feel like calling for example Spago to check. I agree it won't become widespread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California