Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't think that anyone was intentionally lying. Not enough about masks was known when this virus first hit, and we were given advice based on the flu. This poster, below, sums up some of the reasons that the mask order was confusing initially. (Click the arrow next to the poster's name to be directed to the original post.)
Okay. Believe what you want. Doesn't matter to me. Fauci admitted he didn't regret telling people not to wear masks so medical personnel would have access.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...andemic-2020-7

Quote:
In late February and early March as the COVID-19 outbreak began accelerating in the US, hospitals and health facilities experienced severe shortages of personal protective equipment for healthcare workers. In response, experts like Fauci and the US Surgeon General Jerome Adams advised Americans against wearing masks.

"I don't regret anything I said then because in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct. We were told in our task force meetings that we have a serious problem with the lack of PPEs and masks for the health providers who are putting themselves in harm's way every day to take care of sick people," Fauci told O'Donnell.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:11 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
This virus is absolutely a nightmare. We would be better off facing dinosaurs at this point in time. We must do a permanent lockdown for 5 months to permanently get rid of this virus. By lockdown, everything should be closed except for hospitals and grocery stores.

Again, we must LOCKDOWN for 4-5 months to get rid of the virus permanently.
That is only if grocery stores staffing and deliveries become robotic. And only grocery Deliveries allowed. As grocery stores severely helped the spread during the last outbreak.
Though I doubt a five month lockdown would work. As it would just flare up along with other illnesses as people with much more vulnerable and weakened immune systems have to work with each other again.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Newsom is allowing schools to seek waivers and conduct in school instruction for elementary schools

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...CC-071720.html
Good, I hope some districts take advantage of this and let younger kids come back into class. Having witnessed two kindergartners try and do distance learning in the spring, I don't think younger kids will do well at all.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I personally don't believe that each child should be assigned his or her own ball with which to play on the playground, either, since I think the chances of the virus spreading outdoors or through inanimate objects are much, much lower.

Agreed. The logistics would be a nightmare. The site I'm usually at has 600 elementary kids. It's hard enough for them to keep track of jackets, water bottles and lunch containers so adding one more personal item to the mix wouldn't help. But that's a small issue. The proposal to reopen SDUSD is comprehensive, taking into account things like air circulation on top of masks and social distancing, temp checks, contingencies for outbreaks, etc., etc. By far, the level of detail being explored to safely reopen schools in a hybrid (mixed online/in-person) setting is much greater than what's been imposed on retail businesses. It could be done, but the path of least resistance is to revert to DL instead. And DL is the equivalent of cancelling school imo.

I'm glad to here the waiver option wasn't quashed but I'm doubtful bigger districts will seek it successfully.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Newsom is allowing schools to seek waivers and conduct in school instruction for elementary schools

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...CC-071720.html

This seems to be aimed more at allowing private schools the option to reopen. But still it's good news. We're a big state and not every district is comparable to ones in the major metro areas. The one-size-fits-all approach is unnecessary.

From that link too, this stands out:

"Moreover, in-person instruction is academically and socially critical for younger students,in alignment with State standards. Students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds are particularly harmed by a lack of access to in-person instruction. Schools serving elementary school students are also in a better position to put into place effective risk reduction strategies to protect both teachers and students, including creation of small, stable classroom cohorts. Further, elementary school students without access to in-person school are far more likely than older students to require alternative group childcare arrangements when schools are closed, and as such, closure of elementary schools is less likely to significantly reduce transmission."

Old 07-22-2020, 10:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Good, I hope some districts take advantage of this and let younger kids come back into class. Having witnessed two kindergartners try and do distance learning in the spring, I don't think younger kids will do well at all.
I agree, but they can't go back to packing 30 kids in a stuffy room with no AC like they did before covid, I would be happy if my grandson could go back to school for just 2 days a week at this point and the district was trying to make that happen before the latest surge in cases.

My grandson was in 2nd grade in the Spring and basically the only way he got any work got done is if someone stood over him the entire time, turn your back and he's watching YouTube /sigh And you can't disable YouTube on the chromebook because they use it for some of the crappy online learning programs, which by the way were for the most part really, really awful freeware.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I agree, but they can't go back to packing 30 kids in a stuffy room with no AC like they did before covid, I would be happy if my grandson could go back to school for just 2 days a week at this point and the district was trying to make that happen before the latest surge in cases.

My grandson was in 2nd grade in the Spring and basically the only way he got any work got done is if someone stood over him the entire time, turn your back and he's watching YouTube /sigh And you can't disable YouTube on the chromebook because they use it for some of the crappy online learning programs, which by the way were for the most part really, really awful freeware.
Yes they will probably have to do the hybrid model of two days in class/two days DL with alternating groups to reduce class size, unless enough parents opt out of in-class learning. It's better than nothing though. My son has ADHD and the lack of structure is really problematic.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
This seems to be aimed more at allowing private schools the option to reopen. But still it's good news. We're a big state and not every district is comparable to ones in the major metro areas. The one-size-fits-all approach is unnecessary.

From that link too, this stands out:

"Moreover, in-person instruction is academically and socially critical for younger students,in alignment with State standards. Students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds are particularly harmed by a lack of access to in-person instruction. Schools serving elementary school students are also in a better position to put into place effective risk reduction strategies to protect both teachers and students, including creation of small, stable classroom cohorts. Further, elementary school students without access to in-person school are far more likely than older students to require alternative group childcare arrangements when schools are closed, and as such, closure of elementary schools is less likely to significantly reduce transmission."
It's my understanding that the district in which my grandson attends school had planned to reopen with a hybrid learning model until the latest spike in cases. I think everyone agrees that is the best way to proceed but unless the idiots in this county start exercising a little self control we're screwed. Dive bars are still open (clandestinely), parties still taking place sometimes in clear view at the river, what do you do? A woman in Raley's arguing about wearing a mask pulled it down once she got in the store and coughed all over the produce. I think the average IQ here is somewhere south of 80

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-22-2020 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-22-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
My son has ADHD and the lack of structure is really problematic.

You're not alone in that boat. Hang in there. I really feel for anyone who's child is in the mod/severe category though. The structure of school is all they really have and without it, there's a huge hole in their universe.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
You're not alone in that boat. Hang in there. I really feel for anyone who's child is in the mod/severe category though. The structure of school is all they really have and without it, there's a huge hole in their universe.
Thanks, he's 6 and he literally said it himself; the lack of structure is really bothering him. It broke my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California