Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 08:18 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Learn history. Use Google. Dare I suggest you also not habitually jump down people's throats?
I hate to break it to you but this is the 21st century, not the 12th. Plus you said they were almost medical practitioners, using present tense.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:40 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Learn history. Use Google. Dare I suggest you also not habitually jump down people's throats?
I leave the inside of people”s throats to “medical professionals” ... oh, and barbers of course ...

Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Why do I have to deal with this? Barbers were like auxiliary medical professionals until around 1800 in the USA. They have to go to special barber colleges in this century. I've seen the curriculum for hair care professionals. There might not be any occupation today that's closer to medical than that, and sometimes they're recruited to spot scalp health problems in customers and direct them to medical care. One probably could take a smart barber and, with a few years of med school, turn him or her into a competent dermatologist. Bringing this back to coronavirus relevance, barber training makes someone very unlikely to transmit the virus to customers assuming the mandated PPE is worn and the business has basic ventilation.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Why do I have to deal with this? Barbers were like auxiliary medical professionals until around 1800 in the USA. They have to go to special barber colleges in this century. I've seen the curriculum for hair care professionals. There might not be any occupation today that's closer to medical than that, and sometimes they're recruited to spot scalp health problems in customers and direct them to medical care. One probably could take a smart barber and, with a few years of med school, turn him or her into a competent dermatologist. Bringing this back to coronavirus relevance, barber training makes someone very unlikely to transmit the virus to customers assuming the mandated PPE is worn and the business has basic ventilation.
Rofflmfao ... you’ve “seen the curriculum for hair care professionals” have you? And you “have a really high IQ” too? And barbers are “almost medical professionals”? Lololololololol.

Hey heathen, have you seen the curriculum for doctors? How about nurses? In the 20th and 21st centuries, bubba.

Unbelievable. This has to be a comedy skit ...

Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Also, barbers are almost medical professionals and know how to keep things clean.
You are, in part, correct. Barbers and hair stylists have saved many of their clients' health by bringing their attention to suspicious looking spot on their scalp and advising them to see their physician. Some of which turned out to be skin cancer. I don't know what you mean about keeping things clean because they're not in the habit of giving their client hygiene tips but you do get one star for the medical comment.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:23 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You are, in part, correct. Barbers and hair stylists have saved many of their clients' health by bringing their attention to suspicious looking spot on their scalp and advising them to see their physician. Some of which turned out to be skin cancer. I don't know what you mean about keeping things clean because they're not in the habit of giving their client hygiene tips but you do get one star for the medical comment.
It's good to see my comment not met with hostility. The cleanliness part meant equipment. Barbers, if competent, sterilize things religiously. They probably use some of the same cleaning products that are applied to medical equipment. Concerns about COVID-19 being spread by barber shears, chairs, etc. are overblown. Also, people, cutting hair is removing part of the human body and risks cutting into the body. There's a vaguely surgical aspect to that. Barbers definitely aren't doctors, but there are some overlapping skills and habits, maybe not too far below a surgical tech.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
It's good to see my comment not met with hostility. The cleanliness part meant equipment. Barbers, if competent, sterilize things religiously. They probably use some of the same cleaning products that are applied to medical equipment. Concerns about COVID-19 being spread by barber shears, chairs, etc. are overblown. Also, people, cutting hair is removing part of the human body and risks cutting into the body. There's a vaguely surgical aspect to that. Barbers definitely aren't doctors, but there are some overlapping skills and habits, maybe not too far below a surgical tech.
Yeah .... I wouldn't go as far as to equate them with a surgical tech. I think barber school is something like a six-week course. But I do understand what you're trying to say. Sterilizing instruments and equipment is always advised but now mandatory, if they want to keep their business going. I'm not sad to see that, though. They should be doing this anyway and if they weren't before, they sure are now. I'm still waiting to get a cut but now my hair's so long, all I need is a Willie Nelson headband and a tie-dyed T-shirt and I'll look the part of the old hippie that I am at heart.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
The cleanliness part meant equipment. Barbers, if competent, sterilize things religiously. They probably use some of the same cleaning products that are applied to medical equipment. Concerns about COVID-19 being spread by barber shears, chairs, etc. are overblown. Also, people, cutting hair is removing part of the human body and risks cutting into the body. There's a vaguely surgical aspect to that. Barbers definitely aren't doctors, but there are some overlapping skills and habits, maybe not too far below a surgical tech.

How many cases of covid can be traced to dirty hair clippers though? It's not a blood-borne virus. That said, regardless of your belief that a barber shop is equitable to a surgical ward, it's irrelevant regarding the spread of covid. One of the few things we definitively know about covid and its SARS cousins, is that it's mainly spread via respiratory droplets (hence all the masks you've probably seen). If contaminated surfaces were an effective path for covid, we'd have a much higher case presence all over the globe.

Also, there's nothing even vaguely surgical about the haircutting trade. As for sharing similar cleaning products/techniques, when's the last time you've seen an autoclave at Supercuts? If you were being silly, fine. If you're serious, I don't know what to tell you.

edit: sample test from ca.gov cosmetology licensing board
The practical exam includes a whole 10 minutes dedicated to blood exposure. Part of the verbal instructions a candidate may expect to hear is "plug your curling iron in at this time" (not a joke -- it says that verbatim). This is right up there with the MCATs.

Last edited by joosoon; 08-15-2020 at 08:01 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Besides not grasping the difference between hairstyling and practice of medicine - it appears you don’t know the difference between “hostility” and just plain persiflage / roasting.

Listen bub, you write some perfectly good observations at times ... but ... you write so much on the topic, and including a fair peppering of eye-roller comments, that you’re being increasingly viewed as fairly off the rails.

When you protested a couple times that you should be taken particularly seriously in this campaign of yours to guide America out of its dark hours: because you “have an high IQ” and are an unusually good ‘idea-man’ and so forth - then pop in with comparing barbering to medical professionalism - well, all your reasonable commentary kinda disappears in the laughable nail soup you’ve been serving up.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Now I’ve seen everything. Using your logic, mechanics are just below a surgical tech.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California