Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 06:50 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Geeze, wonder why the US has had such a hard time battling Covid19? I wonder if there is a mentality block starting right at the top of the leadership chain?

Meanwhile, we also battle priorities such as:

US calls for shower rules to be eased after Trump hair complaints
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53761744

(Do enjoy the photo with the linked story ... it speaks volumes about America’s leadership priorities)

Old 08-14-2020, 10:45 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
coming eventually in California to businesses that operate despite orders not to
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jerseys-a...234406672.html

So they moved equipment outdoors and code enforcement dinged them for some vague safety hazard to children....

In the brief injunction issued to reopen gyms in Michigan, the judge said the state couldn't act arbitrarily and shut down some indoor businesses, while others remained open. Seems like the same thing is happening in NJ. Look up 'rational basis'. You're probably right that this will eventually creep its way into CA and other states as more legal challenges mount. Any time standards are inconsistent, it's ripe for legal challenge and the state(s) should only be able to impose rules in ways to meet a stated goal with the bare minimum of inconvenience.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Of course nothing is actually static. Counties that fall below the thresholds will open and close, people will get more complacent about parties and social distancing, and we'll see some jags. I expect that the few people still taking the virus seriously during this second wave will continue to hold down 7-day-averaged numbers for another 2 weeks. So, we'll probably see positive tests numbers around 6-7K per day until late August, then there will be a few 10K+ jags (from the last hurrah's of summer that are going on now) before we die down to the <4K/day range and have a steady downward trajectory throughout the rest of the year, no matter what restrictions are lifted or implemented (unless everyone stops wearing masks and starts going to school/concerts).

This rubber band effect will continue ad infinitum until there's a way to rid the virus in the wild. That will require a vaccine or definitive proof that reinfection isn't possible with covid. We're nowhere near knowing the latter and the former is maybe years away if we're lucky.

In the meantime, everyone will continue to blame the 'other guy' for surges in case numbers, in spite of any real supporting evidence beyond coincidence.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
They should start seriously investigating whether delivery services are spreading infections. This should be major national news.
https://www.foxla.com/news/coronavir...angeles-county

Old 08-14-2020, 11:54 AM

63 posts, read 45,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So all these epidemiologists' conclusions are an "example of Americans fear of it." How on earth do you come up with conclusions like this?

Do you know how many people would have to die in this country--or this state alone--to achieve herd immunity?
From articles I've read (by infectious disease docs....sorry I didn't save them) in the past 6 weeks, I'm under the impression that herd immunity does not exist. It was a good hope. I've also read when people's antibodies get tested....they don't last all that long. Of course all info seems to be fluid and changing as more and more studies are underway.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
So they moved equipment outdoors and code enforcement dinged them for some vague safety hazard to children....

In the brief injunction issued to reopen gyms in Michigan, the judge said the state couldn't act arbitrarily and shut down some indoor businesses, while others remained open. Seems like the same thing is happening in NJ. Look up 'rational basis'. You're probably right that this will eventually creep its way into CA and other states as more legal challenges mount. Any time standards are inconsistent, it's ripe for legal challenge and the state(s) should only be able to impose rules in ways to meet a stated goal with the bare minimum of inconvenience.
Businesses aren't being randomly closed. Some types are less necessary and relatively risky. Gyms meet that criteria. Barber shops would have a stronger legal argument in their favor. Anyway, once a business defies government orders, its chances of finding a sympathetic judge fall to almost zero. Los Angeles probably will be the first county in California to teach that lesson to business owners.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Businesses aren't being randomly closed.

So you're saying the distinction between essential and non-essential is well defined? If so, I strongly disagree. That's been a sticky issue since day one of the shut down. I would argue that food production, power, water and waste are the only literal essentials. But of course that opens up a can of worms since all of those rely heavily on support from other industries. Can't keep the lights on if the linemen can't drive a truck to a work site - can't keep that truck running without mechanics - can't supply mechanics with parts without manufacturing, and so on.

What we have right now is entirely random though, so yes, the closures are relatively arbitrary.

Quote:
Some types are less necessary and relatively risky. Gyms meet that criteria. Barber shops would have a stronger legal argument in their favor. Anyway, once a business defies government orders, its chances of finding a sympathetic judge fall to almost zero. Los Angeles probably will be the first county in California to teach that lesson to business owners.

The conglomerate of gym owners (not just 'a' gym) in Michigan not only found a sympathetic judge, but one who wrote a decision with language inviting a constitutional challenge. I linked to the court papers somewhere.

But I do agree that gyms aren't vital operations. I disagree that barbers are any more necessary than them though, as are numerous other businesses claiming some vague essential service provision. And that's the problem right now. There is no defined notion of essential.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 PM

Barbers aren't more essential than gyms. They are, the data suggests, safer, because people don't stay inside there as long or inhale and exhale as strongly. Also, barbers are almost medical professionals and know how to keep things clean. Even infected employees haven't been found to have infected customers while touching them.

Gym owners can try the collective, legal route in California, but if barbers still can't cut hair indoors, gyms won't win at having their interiors opened.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:50 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
... Also, barbers are almost medical professionals and know how to keep things clean...
What!?

You continue to amaze ...

Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 PM

Learn history. Use Google. Dare I suggest you also not habitually jump down people's throats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California