Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 11:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

Teachers doing side work is extra offensive for at least two reasons: 1) it potentially shortchanges kids on the whole 2) there is particularly high demand for private teaching now.

If anything, Newsom is going to ban them from going to campus, for liability for illness caught at work has not been resolved, and the state can't afford to pay damages.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:23 AM

4,393 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think you are correct about teachers being required to be on campus during distance learning, that's a district decision.
Yes, it is a district decision. I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise, so my apologies if I did.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You and others take my points way too personally. Just accept that there are some - I never said many - teachers who would misuse the situation for extra income. (That also includes tutoring for pay online during school hours.)

I know that Governor Newsom doesn't run the schools. But if he disagrees strongly enough with teachers having to be on campus during the pandemic, he can issue an order that makes them work remotely.
So if the problem is only "some," as opposed to "many," then that can be taken care of pretty easily at the district level. Your level of panic/concern/whatever, is probably unwarranted. This would be no different than if we were teaching on campus.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There is an order, and it is that whether a teacher goes on campus or teaches from home is a district choice, geez..let it go, I gave a link to the source in post 370. My son is a CPA and works for an SF Bay Area County, he works from home now- but given your logic they should make him sit in the office to "prove" that he's not doing side work? Quit beating a dead horse, please!
Not until it wakes up he won’t ...

Old 08-11-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
So if the problem is only "some," as opposed to "many," then that can be taken care of pretty easily at the district level. Your level of panic/concern/whatever, is probably unwarranted. This would be no different than if we were teaching on campus.
It's mild concern. There is a difference between remote and on campus; there is no way to do side work at school without high risk of being caught (if teachers can't access their smartphones much, which probably is decided by districts).

Old 08-11-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It's mild concern. There is a difference between remote and on campus; there is no way to do side work at school without high risk of being caught (if teachers can't access their smartphones much, which probably is decided by districts).
Probably less than you think. If anything, it is MORE work doing remote teaching, and even more so if you have to do it from home. The teachers that I work with are regularly putting in 10-12 hour days during remote teaching. It's no walk in the park, and ALL would rather be teaching from the classroom to live students if it could be done safely. This has not been easy for any of us, really. It's like the first year of your teaching career, all over again.

I'm going to (try) to end my engagement in this topic simply by saying that as someone who is in this environment every day, and someone who has colleagues in various districts across So Cal, you really don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:16 PM

I was referring more to the difference between remote teaching from home and teaching to students who are physically present. (Look at my location.)

Anyway, serious question, a possible dead-end tangent: what happens to gym teachers whose schools are in remote-learning mode? Music teachers and maybe a few other specialties, too.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-11-2020 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 12:32 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
I was referring more to the difference between remote teaching from home and teaching to students who are physically present. (Look at my location.)

Anyway, serious question, a possible dead-end tangent: what happens to gym teachers whose schools are in remote-learning mode? Music teachers and maybe a few other specialties, too.
I’m going to date myself, but maybe the gym teachers can do something like the jack lalanne workout videos. My wife used to do home exercises with Pamela Carter (Lynda Carter’s sister) videos. I watched now and then for the educational value.

I don’t see why music teachers couldn’t do online learning, but since I’m musically challenged, I’m not sure.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m going to date myself, but maybe the gym teachers can do something like the jack lalanne workout videos. My wife used to do home exercises with Pamela Carter (Lynda Carter’s sister) videos. I watched now and then for the educational value.

I don’t see why music teachers couldn’t do online learning, but since I’m musically challenged, I’m not sure.
My wife and I have used a program on a CD for years. They should be able to do remote training. They can set up a Zoom account for free and do 40 minutes with no cost and i think much longer for I believe $14.95 a month. Need to check that. But it is cheap.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:05 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Here is article on one avenue of research as to why a percentage of those infected with covid 19 are asymptomatic. .....they may possibility already have a level of partial immunity as a result of a past infection from another virus that had some similarity to covid 19.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/h...une-cells.html
Interesting information; thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California