Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 03:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
China - Higher death rate than Florida, Texas, or Switzerland which engaged in partial lockdowns.

France - Higher death rate than Florida, Texas, or Switzerland which engaged in partial lockdowns.

Italy - Higher death rate than Florida, Texas, or Switzerland which engaged in partial lockdowns.

Spain - Higher death rate than Florida, Texas, or Switzerland which engaged in partial lockdowns.

Denmark - Higher death rate than Florida, Texas, or Switzerland which engaged in partial lockdowns.

Poland - Higher death rate than Florida, Texas, or Switzerland which engaged in partial lockdowns.

Who's next?
Uh, what?

Deaths/Million:
California: 195
Florida: 236
Texas: 141
China: 3
Denmark: 105
Poland: 43

Slow down, dude. You're getting so frantic that you can't even cherry-pick your data correctly. Pretty soon you're going to have to retreat all the way to case outcomes / CFR.

Also, read the rest of what I said about New York. You'd probably like it, since it fits into your political worldview, unlike a rapidly-dwindling number of facts and figures.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:32 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
There have been some articles of recent, that raise doubts in regard to lasting immunity to covid-19 via either vaccination or having been infected and recovered . This article is sort of a counter balance

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...months/614377/

Old 07-20-2020, 07:27 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Political leaders in California have largely had public support for their decisions. One reason may be that Californians have greater faith in scientists than do people elsewhere in the country.

New data from the American Enterprise Institute’s Survey on COVID-19 and American Life show that California residents hold science professionals in high regard.

In terms of public policies, Californians are more apt to accept the evidence and advice that doctors and scientists have presented to the public.

Californians are not experiencing COVID-19 differently from the rest of the country. Almost 90% are following the coronavirus news closely and are feeling the dire economic impacts, just like Americans everywhere else.

Believing in science helps in a pandemic:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...efs-california

Old 07-21-2020, 12:20 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's probably the opposite of fact, false. Didn't I already tell you that by the time it was drizzling in the general population, the schools were already closed? Therefore, your early-spring case study did not actually happen.

We don't know that because there wasn't nearly any testing going on at that time to determine it.
However cases continued to rise after the immediate shutdown and it was that early period of the shutdown where people were taking steps to stay put. So if the virus wasn't already among us then, how did it spread post-shut down? Either it was already there, or it spread among the sequestered population, which would mean the shut down had no effect (which you don't believe and neither do I).

A valuable case study would be to see if during that phase (end of March, early April), lot's of school staff were afflicted. If so, it might be safe to assume that children in schools, or just schools in general, are a significant source of community spread.

Regardless of all that, every plan I've seen to reopen districts anywhere in California has included wearing masks and some sort of social distancing. If that's what works in other public settings, like all the businesses still open and operating, why wouldn't it work in schools? I see a lot of cake being eaten and attempted to be had at the same time in the state's messaging. They need to make up their mind on what works and what doesn't work.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:30 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The virus had not spread in mid March--most schools closed down at the end of the school day on March 13--to the degree that it did even 1 to 2 weeks later in California. We had 329 confirmed cases in the entire state of California and only 5 deaths by March 14.

As of today: 382,595 confirmed cases and 7,702 deaths in our state.

How aggressive was the testing back on March 13th?
Is it totally unreasonable to believe that the virus was already well formed in the state by then? Patient zero predates that by at least a month. The theme since the get go has been that carriers can be asymptomatic. The other is that it's highly contagious (hence all the masks, social distancing, etc.) and yet prior to that point in the state, nobody was practicing any of the measures we are today. It seems less likely that the virus would've grown to what it is now, if there were truly only 329 cases in mid March. I suspect a lot more people had it then. The numbers today indicate it's likelihood.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
every plan I've seen to reopen districts anywhere in California has included wearing masks and some sort of social distancing. If that's what works in other public settings, like all the businesses still open and operating, why wouldn't it work in schools?
Because being inside a classroom with other people--much less children, who pull off masks, talk loudly and congregate around each other's desks, despite being told to stay 6 feet apart--for hours at a time results in a much greater risk of contagion than distance learning. (Unfortunately.)

I personally don't believe that each child should be assigned his or her own ball with which to play on the playground, either, since I think the chances of the virus spreading outdoors or through inanimate objects are much, much lower.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
How aggressive was the testing back on March 13th?
You're right that testing was not done as frequently in early March. According to virus data tracking in California, on March 4, we had 198 confirmed cases and only 4 deaths. And no one was wearing a mask or social distancing until around the third week of March, from what I can remember.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:31 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Uh, what?

Deaths/Million:
California: 195
Florida: 236
Texas: 141
China: 3
Denmark: 105
Poland: 43
How were those numbers calculated?

I've never tried to misrepresent data (unlike others here). My source is the CDC (which IMO is inflated).

Quote:
Also, read the rest of what I said about New York. You'd probably like it, since it fits into your political worldview, unlike a rapidly-dwindling number of facts and figures.
It's not political. This is your problem. It's about results. New York has completely mishandled the plandemic. The only "good" that comes from it is that everyone knows NOT to do what Cuomo and other governors like him did.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
So if the virus wasn't already among us then, how did it spread post-shut down? Either it was already there, or it spread among the sequestered population, which would mean the shut down had no effect (which you don't believe and neither do I).

Exactly. Finally some logic in this thread.

Quote:
Regardless of all that, every plan I've seen to reopen districts anywhere in California has included wearing masks and some sort of social distancing. If that's what works in other public settings, like all the businesses still open and operating, why wouldn't it work in schools? I see a lot of cake being eaten and attempted to be had at the same time in the state's messaging. They need to make up their mind on what works and what doesn't work.
It's the same logic with the closing of small businesses. I have friends in California that have shown me pictures of Walmarts and Costcos in California where people are crowding into aisles, lines are long with people 2 feet apart if that. Sure they have a mask on, but if anyone believes wearing some crappy cloth mask but being around 300-400 human beings in an enclosed retail space where items are being fondled and held repeatedly is somehow "preventing the virus spread", then you know they're selling you some absolute BS.

Yet the small business selling pizza apparently can't have marked off 6 feet diameter dine in tables that are cleaned every turn over because of... science?

This whole thing has become such a ridiculous scam being leveraged for political reasons that I can no longer take anything serious anymore from the Branch Covidian cult attempting to push this plandemic on the main stream media as some disaster for the ages.

I think by far the biggest crime here was when the governors of NY/CA/NJ/MI shoved Covid-19 patients into nursing homes, that was dangerous ignorance, and IMO criminal.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
How were those numbers calculated?

I've never tried to misrepresent data (unlike others here). My source is the CDC (which IMO is inflated).

It's not political. This is your problem. It's about results. New York has completely mishandled the plandemic. The only "good" that comes from it is that everyone knows NOT to do what Cuomo and other governors like him did.
Let's see what the end results are here before we jump to conclusions. The US is rapidly approaching the European countries in the death rate and will likely greatly surpass these nations when all is said and done. This is all but a given when you look at the current rates in the US vs how its been stabilized in Europe.

I don't disagree that NY and Europe mishandled COVID up front. They were all too lax in the beginning and too slow to react and paid the price heavily. That said, they learned from their lessons (thus far) and are currently managing it much better than many of the Southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California