Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 01:45 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I can't speak for the entire state, but at least 20% of people in Los Angeles who aren't little kids are acting like it's not a pandemic. They'll wear masks when strictly required to, and that is about it. No amount of hectoring by the mayor or governor will change their behavior. The only option is formal or informal policing. Only the governor can truly make wimpy LA mayor Garcetti do anything really different from and harsher than tactics he's already used, and his term doesn't expire soon. People can pressure mayors of smaller cities to act, but ultimately I think the public needs the media to step in and create a firestorm/call for action.
Interesting. I didn't realize the percentage was as high as that. The fact that the mayor AND the governor can't quell their bad behavior doesn't bode well for them, wouldn't you agree? How effective are they as leaders? Maybe the media should focus on their lack of control instead of focusing on those who aren't in compliant. Just a thought

Old 07-25-2020, 02:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize the percentage was as high as that. The fact that the mayor AND the governor can't quell their bad behavior doesn't bode well for them, wouldn't you agree? How effective are they as leaders? Maybe the media should focus on their lack of control instead of focusing on those who aren't in compliant. Just a thought
Just a thought to try avoiding the truth, which is that individual violators are the root of the problem. If Newsom were doing a good job, this thread would be mostly dead. Garcetti is doing a terrible job. However, he has the same disadvantage any other LA mayor would have: a population that has too many outright criminals and too many affluent, spoiled people, usually under a virtue-signaling sheen. In Orange County, their attitude is more brazen, but with it being less urban, there's almost a built-in limit on how bad it can get there. It would take a strong, crafty leader to snag enough of the violators and straightjacket the others into compliance. I think it needs an atmosphere of the neighbors and government are watching (for example, police driving through neighborhoods and giving warnings on loudspeakers), and the media ominously communicating that to the public. If that makes some people want to move out of LA or the entire state, good. The fewer people around, especially if less than cooperative, the less spread of COVID-19.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:12 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,145,269 times
Quote:
Just a thought to try avoiding the truth, which is that individual violators are the root of the problem. If Newsom were doing a good job, this thread would be mostly dead. Garcetti is doing a terrible job. However, he has the same disadvantage any other LA mayor would have: a population that has too many outright criminals and too many affluent, spoiled people, usually under a virtue-signaling sheen. In Orange County, their attitude is more brazen, but with it being less urban, there's almost a built-in limit on how bad it can get there. It would take a strong, crafty leader to snag enough of the violators and straightjacket the others into compliance. I think it needs an atmosphere of the neighbors and government are watching (for example, police driving through neighborhoods and giving warnings on loudspeakers), and the media ominously communicating that to the public. If that makes some people want to move out of LA or the entire state, good. The fewer people around, especially if less than cooperative, the less spread of COVID-19.

I am pretty sure that cops want nothing to do with being mask police. They learned the lesson during BLM protest and defund the police movement. Last thing they want is more protest against them from general public.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I am pretty sure that cops want nothing to do with being mask police. They learned the lesson during BLM protest and defund the police movement. Last thing they want is more protest against them from general public.
1) Police have to follow orders. 2) I wasn't referring to masks, and actually I meant residential neighborhoods.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:03 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
That's a shame but not surprising. For as long as I remember, that particular area of the state has always had a population of those who regard themselves better than anyone else, and thus think the rules don't apply to them. Mixed in the group are some ordinary working families who don't feel that way. Until now, nothing major has happened to challenge them. I hope your governor wakes up soon and realizes how his constituents feel about his performance during this time. It could cost him the next election.

As for Newsom, he's been walking back his one size fits all belief and is now treating individual counties accordingly.

I bet your police department is a confused and muddled mess as are all the departments across the country. First people are screaming to de-fund and do away with them but now everyone wants them to come to their aid and arrest the poor slobs who can't play by the rules. I wouldn't blame them if they just walked away from the whole mess but you know what? They won't. The 2% of bad cops ruin everything for the other 98% of good ones. It's too bad the general public doesn't understand that. Good luck with your city, though.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,436,914 times
The reason people don't follow the rules is because they see through the media and Democrat over hype. Most of the people who die are old in nursing homes with underlying health problems. Then there are the stories of motorcycle crash deaths counted as coronavirus deaths. And as far as new cases all the time the more they test the more cases but many who test positive don't get sick, doesn't bother them at all.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The reason people don't follow the rules is because they see through the media and Democrat over hype. Most of the people who die are old in nursing homes with underlying health problems. Then there are the stories of motorcycle crash deaths counted as coronavirus deaths. And as far as new cases all the time the more they test the more cases but many who test positive don't get sick, doesn't bother them at all.
Ah. And how many different motorcycle deaths stories have you read Vega? How many of the 150,000 U.S. deaths so far are really “motorcycle” deaths?

Pretty significant revelation you bring to the discussions buddy.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusselArnold View Post
I see lots of people are being affected with Coronavirus without getting outside. How it's possible I am confused.
Weakening immune systems probably

Old 07-25-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Weakening immune systems probably
A young celebrity claimed that she got sick without going out (from a delivery), but she didn't swear it or say she never had guests. Bad air or contaminated common-area surfaces in an apartment building also could happen. There have been case reports about those causes.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
A young celebrity claimed that she got sick without going out (from a delivery), but she didn't swear it or say she never had guests. Bad air or contaminated common-area surfaces in an apartment building also could happen. There have been case reports about those causes.
They said in my state NY most of the covid cases were from ppl who remained @ home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California