Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2022, 11:16 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times

Advertisements

Long and short.. There's little difference between this and the Carl Edwards / Brad Keselowski situation. I don't see suspensions. Probation for the rest of the year most likely. The only real difference is that Carl did it with premeditation. It had been 6 months or more since the Talladega incident.. Which, Brad did nothing wrong at that race. He didn't drive into Carl, he just held his line. This was more heat of the moment.

All told.. Bubba went overboard, but.. In a way, you understand because he's not competing for wins on a weekly basis and when you have a car capable of winning and get taken out..

Both drivers could have done things differently. Harvick was smart enough to back out. Larson could have lifted.. Bubba could have lifted.. Of course.. Bubba was on the top.. He didn't do anything wrong so far as causing the wreck. He got run into by what appeared to be a tight Larson. I didn't really see him get loose. Looked like it was tight, he needed the entire track, someone was there.. at that point in the race.. You lift. He used the 8 tires has better grip than 4 method. Which worked. Until it didn't. Either that or the bumps upset the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 11:24 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
I'll also bring up, just for history..

Kevin Harvick was sat for a weekend after wrecking Coy Gibbs intentionally in a Truck race.. But this was the final straw in a long list of issues that harvick had.. He was on like double super secret probation at that time already.

And Kyle was sat for wrecking Hornaday intentionally in the Trucks.. But.. Hornaday was the championship leader and Kyle was a 'Buschwhacker' in the series. Plus, it was SO obviously intentional. I think the sitting here was for influencing the championship. Had it been someone not running for the championship, he probably would have just been parked, which.. His truck was destroyed, so.. Didn't really matter.

Let's see.. Michael Waltrip punching Lake Speed.. Jeff Gordon shoving Matt Kenseth.. Clint Bowyer.. Did he ever get Jeff Gordon when he went on a dead sprint through the garage after him?

I can't think of any time that someone has been suspended for a fight. And it'd be REALLY hard to call what happened between Bubba and Kyle a fight. It was a one sided shoving match. Those probably happen every weekend in the garage.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:27 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Long and short.. There's little difference between this and the Carl Edwards / Brad Keselowski situation. I don't see suspensions. Probation for the rest of the year most likely. The only real difference is that Carl did it with premeditation. It had been 6 months or more since the Talladega incident.. Which, Brad did nothing wrong at that race. He didn't drive into Carl, he just held his line. This was more heat of the moment.

All told.. Bubba went overboard, but.. In a way, you understand because he's not competing for wins on a weekly basis and when you have a car capable of winning and get taken out..

Both drivers could have done things differently. Harvick was smart enough to back out. Larson could have lifted.. Bubba could have lifted.. Of course.. Bubba was on the top.. He didn't do anything wrong so far as causing the wreck. He got run into by what appeared to be a tight Larson. I didn't really see him get loose. Looked like it was tight, he needed the entire track, someone was there.. at that point in the race.. You lift. He used the 8 tires has better grip than 4 method. Which worked. Until it didn't. Either that or the bumps upset the car.
There was a 3-4 year period where Carl Edwards was a bully and a straight-up jackhole. He intentionally wrecked Keselowski in front of the entire field at Gateway after the Atlanta crash, and he shoved Matt Kenseth around and pretended to take a swing at him after a race at Martinsville in '07. After he went through that phase, I was glad he never won a cup championship.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:08 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There was a 3-4 year period where Carl Edwards was a bully and a straight-up jackhole. He intentionally wrecked Keselowski in front of the entire field at Gateway after the Atlanta crash, and he shoved Matt Kenseth around and pretended to take a swing at him after a race at Martinsville in '07. After he went through that phase, I was glad he never won a cup championship.
I would love to have Carl Edwards on The Dale Jr Download and get all of this out and more.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:16 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
EXACTLY! He was mad at Matt, (his teammate) for not helping him enough or something like that. That was the day I realized despite his howdy doody good ole boy Cousin Carl routine, he was a deranged punk!
Good comparison.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg
Kurt was totally immature when he first got to cup. You forgetting that?

Scroll down to Controversies: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Busch

You may want to give it a few minutes. Pay close attention to the incident with Ryan Newman on pit road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It wasn’t a “bad boy†persona. It was a dangerous moron persona. He had way more run ins with different drivers than anyone I can remember. I just can’t grasp you using him as a comparison.
I wasn't the one who started the comparison.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:32 PM

On "The Download", it was mentioned about Dodge halting talks with NASCAR about entering the CUP series again. They said it had something to do with the horsepower? I take it that Dodge didn't want to start an engine program at the current specifications and wanted something with less power?

I bet the drivers are happy, since many of them want more HP at certain tracks.

Maybe someone can clarify this...

Old 10-17-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Kevin Harvick was sat for a weekend after wrecking Coy Gibbs intentionally in a Truck race.. But this was the final straw in a long list of issues that harvick had.. He was on like double super secret probation at that time already.

And Kyle was sat for wrecking Hornaday intentionally in the Trucks.. But.. Hornaday was the championship leader and Kyle was a 'Buschwhacker' in the series. Plus, it was SO obviously intentional. I think the sitting here was for influencing the championship. Had it been someone not running for the championship, he probably would have just been parked, which.. His truck was destroyed, so.. Didn't really matter.

Let's see.. Michael Waltrip punching Lake Speed.. Jeff Gordon shoving Matt Kenseth.. Clint Bowyer.. Did he ever get Jeff Gordon when he went on a dead sprint through the garage after him?

I can't think of any time that someone has been suspended for a fight. And it'd be REALLY hard to call what happened between Bubba and Kyle a fight. It was a one sided shoving match. Those probably happen every weekend in the garage.
You may be right about all of that but, that being said, fast forward to today. William Byron fined and penalized for bumping Hamlin on a caution lap?! Two drivers out with head injuries due to wrecks and the safety issue front and center. As I initially said NASCAR is going to be extremely reluctant to punish Wallace for anything (even though he does have a pattern of behavior). I can see where they might buy, or at least say, they buy into Wallaces claim that the steering broke and therefore torpedoing Larson at speed was not intentional. That will be their face saving move to not be too harsh on him, unlike if, it were anybody else or let's just say, the roles were reversed.
You forgot to mention the time Jeff Gordon went ballistic on Jeff Burton. Or Clint Boyer doing the rapid fire rockemsockem on Ryan Newman.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:

In my view makes it worse not better... the good news is Wallace will have to live with the visual of him shoving around a little tiny Asian guy, half his size, on the internet for life.
What was RC's punishment for head locking and punching Kyle Busch.
What about the time Kyle went into Joeys pit and started throwing punches did he get anything for that?

Old 10-17-2022, 01:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,477 times
Late to respond and I only read a few replies, but yesterday Bubba made 5 mistakes. One, when he saw what was happening and saw Kyle starting to slide towards him, he should have lifted. Two, and this is a big one especially considering how dangerous these new cars are, not to mentioned the very recent safety meetings they've had, he clearly retaliated. Three, Nascar made a rule a while back that you need to stay with your car and not walk away on the track. Four, the shoving and Five not listening to the official's orders and giving him a light push.

Also need to say that Christopher Bell could have very well saved Bubba's butt. Larson was heading towards the wall backwards, the worse position with these cars for injuries, and Kyle clipped him preventing that kind of crash.

Lastly, those were Bubba's mistakes, lets see if Nascar will make any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing