Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yet you seem unable to resist doing just that.

You cannot help yourself, can you? After the criticisms I presented, it is as though you have been filled with a mission to prove that every one of them is true. The condescension, the obsessiveness, the delusions of superiority, the childish tactics..you have impressively paraded them all since I posted. And most astonishing is that you seem absolutely unaware that this is what you are doing.

If I am not worthy of debate, stop responding to my posts.
In other words, stop pointing out your errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In other words, stop pointing out your errors.
Which were what?

Old 08-09-2018, 03:21 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is a dead give away that you refer to the hypotheses generated from the verified science as pseudo-science rather than actually engage your concrete brain to consider the plausibility and likelihood of the hypotheses being correct.
It is a dead give away that you ignore that I have seen this game played too often. And when any site needs to be less than honest to make their arguments (InspiringPhilosophy, creationism, the shroud of Turin), then I engage my concrete brain and consider the plausibility and likelihood of the hypotheses being most probably incorrect.

Quote:
Pitiful. How can you stand to be so rigid in your thinking? It would drive me nuts to be so locked up in your materialist conditioning.
Nothing to do with me (unless you are straw manning).

Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is a dead give away that you ignore that I have seen this game played too often. And when any site needs to be less than honest to make their arguments (InspiringPhilosophy, creationism, the shroud of Turin), then I engage my concrete brain and consider the plausibility and likelihood of the hypotheses being most probably incorrect.
I'll say this - Mystic's theistic wrongheadedness may be the Usual, but his craftiness is quite of the First Echelon. He tries to make it seem as though you are calling the science 'Pseudoscience' when it is the misuse of science (effectively a quotemine video) that you note and the pseudo science the belief that it is being misused to support.

Quote:
Nothing to do with me (unless you are straw manning).
Ah yes, the good old Venomfang fallacy -appeal to Unknowns. The woeful and drearily persistent accusation of 'not wanting to look at the unknowns'. Lightfoot showed up in his vid (I'll give the ref (2) that deprecating scientists (or atheist apologists) who would not accept unvalidated faith -claims as variants on (as Mystic says with Pavlovian Dogmatism) 'rigid thinking' and 'materialist conditioning'. It is not only in theist apologetics but in all cult -think - I saw it as as a frequent danger in the UFO world - letting go of the validated basics and treating speculative fantasies (and nota bene - Selected fantasies - all other ignored or treated as irrelevant (1) as - not only valid and probable, but FACT.

(1) a symptom of that being the ignoring of Other god -claims and assuming that Jesusgod is the only theist claim on the board.

(2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pjFr_vS5U

Old 08-09-2018, 04:57 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Now you are Lying and it is easy to discern. You have tried to associate the Inspiring Philosophy video with the obviously false and absurd creationism and the Shroud. That kind of disingenuous guilt by association is a dead giveaway of your deceptive and disingenuous agenda. You are too lazy to actually engage the actual science sufficiently to determine if the suggested hypotheses extrapolated from it are plausible or likely. This is the sign of a lazy intellect.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Now you are Lying and it is easy to discern. You have tried to associate the Inspiring Philosophy video with the obviously false and absurd creationism and the Shroud. That kind of disingenuous guilt by association is a dead giveaway of your deceptive and disingenuous agenda. You are too lazy to actually engage the actual science sufficiently to determine if the suggested hypotheses extrapolated from it are plausible or likely. This is the sign of a lazy intellect.
While you have latched onto a tiny point here - the video was not about the Shroud of Turin - Harry's real point was so obvious that your miss-taking it can correctly seen as the craftiness of the shameless theist rhetorician.

You further compound it by protesting the infinite superiority to this superstitious nonsense of the 'inspiring philosophy' (talk about Self congratulation - Captain Projection) of your own beliefs that the universe is intelligent and our consciousness is all part of it (if we have our mental radio switched on and never mind that animals don't seem to be able to access the cosmic intellect), not to mention the rather wonky theory that all our religions are a sort of spiritual evening class to educate humanity. Wonky because you tried to argue that classes are not always given in logical order. Yes, Mystic, in my experience, they are. You do not teach someone Newton's laws, leap to atomic physics and then go back to growing crystals in dishes. But 'intelligent nature' apparently does. Beginning with the harsh iron -age rules of the OT, it then comes up with the more enlightened Buddhism class, then the daft idea that a Roman execution of a failed rebel messiah was some kind of lesson in Love for all humanity and then screw all that let's go back to iron age authoritarianism with Islam. And of couse my own suggestion that logically secular humanism is the next class to be taken was (not surprisingly) simply ignored by you.

Mystic your philosophy only inspires me to hilarity, and compared to it, the Turin Shroud looks like a serious attempt to produce some decent evidence.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:41 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
While you have latched onto a tiny point here - the video was not about the Shroud of Turin - Harry's real point was so obvious that your miss-taking it can correctly seen as the craftiness of the shameless theist rhetorician.

You further compound it by protesting the infinite superiority to this superstitious nonsense of the 'inspiring philosophy' (talk about Self congratulation - Captain Projection) of your own beliefs that the universe is intelligent and our consciousness is all part of it (if we have our mental radio switched on and never mind that animals don't seem to be able to access the cosmic intellect), not to mention the rather wonky theory that all our religions are a sort of spiritual evening class to educate humanity. Wonky because you tried to argue that classes are not always given in logical order. Yes, Mystic, in my experience, they are. You do not teach someone Newton's laws, leap to atomic physics and then go back to growing crystals in dishes. But 'intelligent nature' apparently does. Beginning with the harsh iron -age rules of the OT, it then comes up with the more enlightened Buddhism class, then the daft idea that a Roman execution of a failed rebel messiah was some kind of lesson in Love for all humanity and then screw all that let's go back to iron age authoritarianism with Islam. And of course, my own suggestion that logically secular humanism is the next class to be taken was (not surprisingly) simply ignored by you.

Mystic your philosophy only inspires me to hilarity, and compared to it, the Turin Shroud looks like a serious attempt to produce some decent evidence.
I did not ignore your contention about Humanism, Arq. I do consider Humanism a further evolution of Christ's agape love. What you do not seem to understand about evolutionary processes is that they do not necessarily always proceed in a positive direction. Evolution is messy and definitely NOT linear. The evolution process is always bound and constrained by the environmental conditions within which the changes are to take place.

This is as equally true of the evolution of cognitive constructs (memes) within a social environment. Each alteration (I would say inspiration) is received and responded to within the given era and social milieu. Religions and religious doctrines were the dominant cognitive memes for the majority of human written history. All the forces and influences you refer to as you critique why things were recorded in the ways they were (with the distortions, inconsistencies, and contradictions) that you point out are an acknowledgment of the human influences and vicissitudes in the societal environment. Those same human influences and vicissitudes in the societal environment (in their currently evolved differences) continue to operate today as we address and react to the inspirations which I believe continue.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I did not ignore your contention about Humanism, Arq. I do consider Humanism a further evolution of Christ's agape love. What you do not seem to understand about evolutionary processes is that they do not necessarily always proceed in a positive direction. Evolution is messy and definitely NOT linear. The evolution process is always bound and constrained by the environmental conditions within which the changes are to take place.
Excuse me. I hadn't seen that, or i couldn't recall seeing it. Then I would argue that Humanism is a better alternative to Christianity. 'Agape love' is at best an impractical ideal - at least at this time (and Jesus' execution was nothing to do with it anyway) and at worst it is a sham. Those who bang on most about it are the ones who seem most short of it. What they do have is a self -awarded mandate to lecture everyone else.

Quote:
This is as equally true of the evolution of cognitive constructs (memes) within a social environment. Each alteration (I would say inspiration) is received and responded to within the given era and social milieu. Religions and religious doctrines were the dominant cognitive memes for the majority of human written history. All the forces and influences you refer to as you critique why things were recorded in the ways they were (with the distortions, inconsistencies, and contradictions) that you point out are an acknowledgment of the human influences and vicissitudes in the societal environment. Those same human influences and vicissitudes in the societal environment (in their currently evolved differences) continue to operate today as we address and react to the inspirations which I believe continue.
All that seems to be saying is that humanity is proceeding through a slow and not uniform mental progress. What I don't see is that a cosmic mind is directing it. If it was, i would expect it to be more coherent.

Biological evolution is not so ordered. Social evolution is not so ordered, yet there is a gradual development. A program directed by an intelligence with a plan ought to be better ordered, as training course are, or ought to be.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Now you are Lying and it is easy to discern.
They have a video of scientists who argue FOR the anthropic principle except they edit them talking to make it appear they are arguing AGAINST it.

Here, see for yourself how dishonest they are with their videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5q...6rODi7t6wfpg8g

Quote:
You have tried to associate the Inspiring Philosophy video with the obviously false and absurd creationism and the Shroud. That kind of disingenuous guilt by association is a dead giveaway of your deceptive and disingenuous agenda.
See above instead of inventing excuses.

Quote:
You are too lazy to actually engage the actual science sufficiently to determine if the suggested hypotheses extrapolated from it are plausible or likely. This is the sign of a lazy intellect.
I have been there and done the work already, no matter how many times you pretend otherwise.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You further compound it by protesting the infinite superiority to this superstitious nonsense of the 'inspiring philosophy' (talk about Self congratulation - Captain Projection) of your own beliefs that the universe is intelligent and our consciousness is all part of it (if we have our mental radio switched on and never mind that animals don't seem to be able to access the cosmic intellect), not to mention the rather wonky theory that all our religions are a sort of spiritual evening class to educate humanity.
InspiringPhilosophy is the name of the youTube channel (Christian by the way), it is not something Mystic invented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism