Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In the 10 years that I have been posting, I have been forced to conclude that the kind of abstract philosophical thinking that I routinely engage in is very rare. That is the kind of intellect I was referring to. Clearly, you do not have that kind or you are so set on rebutting everything I say or that ANY theist says that you refuse to even entertain the issues intellectually. In either case, the result is the same and you are just another closed-mind.
Oh? My notion of closed minded would be:

1. You agree with me
2. You disagree because you aren't smart enough to agree
3. You disagree because you are closed minded.

See what you have set up? It is win/win/win for you because every possible classification for your opponent is lose. You leave no possibility for:
1. Perhaps you are wrong
2. Perhaps this seemingly intelligent person who disagrees with me is doing so on solid grounds
3. Perhaps you are the one who is close minded.

Why bother coming here if your notion is to treat disagreement as the product of inferior minds? If we just ain't clever enough to recognize your brilliance, aren't you spinning your wheels continuing to try and show it off? Shouldn't you be out seeking a wiser and more appreciative audience? Or perhaps, Zarathustra style, retire to a cave somewhere and work on your doctrines in solitude?

And I believe that you are well aware of why I dismiss your assertions with no need to work up a sweat. It is because:
1. You believe that mixing science and pseudo science makes for enhanced science. It does not. All it makes is bad science.
2. Your credibility rests greatly on the readers here embracing the idea that you had some sort of supernatural experience .....a claim made by many and proven by none. This cannot be taken seriously.
3. Even if you are right..so what? You have merely shuffled some labels around, not provided us with anything of consequence which calls for any sort of change in our lives. Despite there being nothing on the line, the frequency and ferocity of your posting on the subject suggests obsessiveness at work.

So you see? You disqualify yourself instantly, causing all that flows from your mistaken assumptions to really mean no more than a argument about whether this fictional character was stronger than that fictional character. When the foundation is rotten, it does not matter what is placed on top because it is all coming down together.

So, yeah, clearly I do not have the sort of intellect which embraces what appear to me to be false assumptions on your part. Just as clearly you do not have the sort of intellect that is able to see that you are advancing a bad argument.

See? We both can say that about each other, which leaves all us us wondering why you bother writing this again and again. We have as many cans as you have can'ts, as many always as you have nevers, we are both inexhaustibly equipped with ammo for a yes I am/no you aren't war.

Your first step toward getting the respect you are seeking here would be to knock off all the condescending stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

1. You agree with me

See what you have set up? It is win/win/win for you because every possible classification for your opponent is lose. You leave no possibility for:
1. Perhaps you are wrong
2. Perhaps this seemingly intelligent person who disagrees with me is doing so on solid grounds

Why bother coming here if your notion is to treat disagreement as the product of inferior minds? If we just ain't clever enough to recognize your brilliance, aren't you spinning your wheels continuing to try and show it off? Shouldn't you be out seeking a wiser and more appreciative audience? Or perhaps, Zarathustra style, retire to a cave somewhere and work on your doctrines in solitude?

And I believe that you are well aware of why I dismiss your assertions with no need to work up a sweat. It is because:
1. You believe that mixing science and pseudo science makes for enhanced science. It does not. All it makes is bad science.
2. Your credibility rests greatly on the readers here embracing the idea that you had some sort of supernatural experience .....a claim made by many and proven by none. This cannot be taken seriously.
3. Even if you are right..so what? You have merely shuffled some labels around, not provided us with anything of consequence which calls for any sort of change in our lives. Despite there being nothing on the line, the frequency and ferocity of your posting on the subject suggests obsessiveness at work.

So you see? You disqualify yourself instantly, causing all that flows from your mistaken assumptions to really mean no more than a argument about whether this fictional character was stronger than that fictional character. When the foundation is rotten, it does not matter what is placed on top because it is all coming down together.

So, yeah, clearly I do not have the sort of intellect which embraces what appear to me to be false assumptions on your part. Just as clearly you do not have the sort of intellect that is able to see that you are advancing a bad argument.

See? We both can say that about each other, which leaves all us us wondering why you bother writing this again and again. We have as many cans as you have can'ts, as many always as you have nevers, we are both inexhaustibly equipped with ammo for a yes I am/no you aren't war.

Your first step toward getting the respect you are seeking here would be to knock off all the condescending stuff.
Correct. I might have a degree in physical geography with a minor in geology as well as a Masters in GIS however if I don't agree with MysticPhD then i must be too stupid to understand what he claims. It doesn't matter if I understand what he is saying it's just not accepting his claims is his measure of intelligence. Or the only measure of open minded is agreeing with MysticPhD. I'll stay dumb and closed minded.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:

1. You agree with me

1. Perhaps you are wrong

Yup.
+1 rep for Grand

Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:

1. You agree with me

1. Perhaps you are wrong

QED. Rather than engage the actual abstract hypotheses posed by the extant science, you rant and rail about ME, my attitude, and totally useless ad hominem rhetoric. You have shown NO capability to engage the actual material intellectually. That is why your mind is closed.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
QED. Rather than engage the actual abstract hypotheses posed by the extant science, you rant and rail about ME, my attitude, and totally useless ad hominem rhetoric. You have shown NO capability to engage the actual material intellectually. That is why your mind is closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Yup.
+1 rep for Grand
No surprise that the chief offender of the same ad hominem attacks agrees with you.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
QED. Rather than engage the actual abstract hypotheses posed by the extant science, you rant and rail about ME, my attitude, and totally useless ad hominem rhetoric. .
Since your hypothesis is void and your attitude is annoying, little wonder the latter attracts all the attention. By the way....in your above sentence you are inadvertently describing your own rhetoric as "useless ad hominem". Read it and see. But then, how could someone as inferior as myself possibly catch an advanced being such as you in a mistake?

Quote:
You have shown NO capability to engage the actual material intellectually.
For some of our readers who may not know, what exactly is the difference between "NO capability" and "no capability?"

Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
The mystic part of my screen name is to show that I am open to other ways of contemplating and experiencing our reality. The Ph.D. part of my screen name is to show that I have a very high level of understanding of the scientific method and an ability to independently evaluate scientific methodology and findings on the frontiers of science.
I think we all know what mystic means.

In terms of your high understanding of the scientific method...I have two degrees in the natural sciences (and two other degrees). So what? The real question is, when we read your posts do we see that high understanding of the scientific method? I don't.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Since your hypothesis is void and your attitude is annoying, little wonder the latter attracts all the attention. By the way....in your above sentence you are inadvertently describing your own rhetoric as "useless ad hominem". Read it and see. But then, how could someone as inferior as myself possibly catch an advanced being such as you in a mistake?
Baseless assertions like the bold are the reason you are deemed unworthy of debate. Do you have ANY familiarity with any of the science involved in the video because you show no indication that you do.
Quote:
For some of our readers who may not know, what exactly is the difference between "NO capability" and "no capability?"
Emphasis.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Baseless assertions like the bold are the reason you are deemed unworthy of debate.
Yet you seem unable to resist doing just that.

You cannot help yourself, can you? After the criticisms I presented, it is as though you have been filled with a mission to prove that every one of them is true. The condescension, the obsessiveness, the delusions of superiority, the childish tactics..you have impressively paraded them all since I posted. And most astonishing is that you seem absolutely unaware that this is what you are doing.

If I am not worthy of debate, stop responding to my posts.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
If I am not worthy of debate, stop responding to my posts.
As you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism