Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I will acknowledge that their summary method of presenting the potential implications of what is said does make it appear that some people are saying things they themselves may not have extrapolated. That is a just rhetorical method that shortcuts drawing out the implications in an otherwise detailed and laborious way. I suggest you explore the implications for yourself rather than reject them because of the rhetoric employed in presenting them.

Truly a masterpiece! Translation for those who don't have time for all the extra words, meant to impress and/or obfuscate:

"Yes, the video that supports my idea is intentionally deceptive."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Why do you regard pointing out that everyone who doesn't agree with you is not stupid as an attack? You are the one who routinely insults others when they reject your arguments with something along the lines of them just not being intelligent enough to grasp it .

And your achievements are all your subjective opinion. If you have hard results, please post them . But all we see here are wild speculations masquerading as some sort of spiritual science .

I actually am empathetic towards you. I have somewhat of a non dualist view of things, along the lines of Advaita Vedanta Hinduism. But there are no facts to support this . And this is where you go wrong, trying to invent and claim scientific evidence where none exists .
Yes, that is a point. There's a lot that Mystic thinks that we can be quite cool with. But we get this constant insistence and arm twisting that we must accept what he says as fact (ignore him if he protests that he doesn't - everyone knows that he does) and any objections are dismissed on the broad grounds that everyone else is stupid, uneducated or has a fear of the idea (ignore him if he protests that he doesn't - everyone knows that he does) and it doesn't impress at all that he praises any foolishness or deceit that he thinks he can use, like a piece of quotemined God -peddling propaganda or Goldie's provocative nonsense.

i won't even go over the level of hubris (projected onto all his opponents) needed to hijack half the threads on the board when he has his own very own personal thread where he can fart all day without having to open a window, and yet he has to derail one thread in five with the tosh that had him savaged repeatedly. I can only say with John Charity Smith 'Indeed i do not admire, rather I am inclined to wonder'.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

Truly a masterpiece! Translation for those who don't have time for all the extra words, meant to impress and/or obfuscate:

"Yes, the video that supports my idea is intentionally deceptive."
You got the Theist -English dictionary, too I must say I myself translated rather as 'True, these people are lying, but ignore that, start with the lies and try to make yourself believe them'.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You got the Theist -English dictionary, too I must say I myself translated rather as 'True, these people are lying, but ignore that, start with the lies and try to make yourself believe them'.
It's the age we live in. Used cars have morphed into "pre-owned vehicles" which of course makes them far more valuable. Wells Fargo ran into a shipload of trouble due to fraudulent practices, and on the tv ad where they are trying to minimize the damage, all their wrong doing is summed with "..then we lost your trust."

Managers of teams don't get fired any longer, they reach "mutual agreements to seek other opportunities." My cable company had a massive foulup a few years back when their gigabyte recording meters went blooey and they started billing all their customers for overusage. It took the entire summer to get that straightened out so that the customers were no longer getting cheated. The cable company then sent out a general apology letter which read "Due to the challenged reports on byte usage, Suddenlink has decided to not bill customers for their over usage during the months of...." Real generous of them, wasn't it? Not to charge us for their massive errors.

It is hard to get things right when all problems are viewed as public relations problems.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Very good. Yes, Never before was 'concepts before definitions' so valuable. Don't just look at the words - get the concept behind then, and then you can see what they should have said if they'd used plain English.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 AM

734 posts, read 483,574 times
I live in a community where there are a lot of Mainstream and Evangelical Protestants. "God works in mysterious ways", they say. In fact, he works so mysteriously that he evades all our senses and logic. But, he wants nothing more than for us to know him.

For a Buddhist agnostic, this makes for great practice. It offends my logic but I have learned "to let go" much more freely.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:28 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
I live in a community where there are a lot of Mainstream and Evangelical Protestants. "God works in mysterious ways", they say. In fact, he works so mysteriously that he evades all our senses and logic. But, he wants nothing more than for us to know him.

For a Buddhist agnostic, this makes for great practice. It offends my logic but I have learned "to let go" much more freely.
I agree.

That was one of the main things that turned me away from christianity and toward Buddhism, where what we are expected to do is test wisdom for ourselves.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM

734 posts, read 483,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree.

That was one of the main things that turned me away from christianity and toward Buddhism, where what we are expected to do is test wisdom for ourselves.

That's the thing: Test wisdom for yourself.

You cannot argue with fools.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 AM

Yes, test wisdom for yourself. But how is the right way to do it? Haven't we heard the believers say that they have been studying and researching for thirty or forty years and they have become convinced that Jesus is Lord. Obviously, they did their research. They just didn't do it right.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, test wisdom for yourself. But how is the right way to do it? Haven't we heard the believers say that they have been studying and researching for thirty or forty years and they have become convinced that Jesus is Lord. Obviously, they did their research. They just didn't do it right.
I find many Christians that say this have just looked at Christian web sites. Many of these sites avoid certain facts while misrepresenting others. Other sites use arguments that sound good at the first look, but not when they are actually investigated.

It is rare you will get a Christian on the internet who has done indepth work, and those that do will ignore all evidence against them as 'bias from atheist web sites'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism