Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 04:54 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Both of you...
Speak for yourself!
This will be me in my 90’s:

I certainly hope so. It won't be me. It isn't me now, never mind that I'm more lively and active than half the people here, half my age. You never saw so many crutches and mobility scooters in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 05:32 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
[/url]

Remember, those last 4 years are often full of ill health.

Everyone who doesn't die in an accident or something faces the prospect of latter years of poor health. Logically though, since these extra years are likely due to a more moderate and less damaging lifestyle, they would not simply be tacked on the end as additional years of decrepitude but be mixed in across the whole life, probably mostly in later middle age.

Quote:
Best? You know this how?

I don't think it any big secret that church provides a ready made and easily accessed social life, which atheists would have to make pointed attempts to acquire, and generally being more individualistic probably do not in many cases.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:48 AM

It is no secret that one of the biggest weapons that religion has is social cohesion. Atheism on the other hand, has the weapon of individual freedom. On balance, the Churches try to keep a grip on social cohesion and make sure that if you have one you have to have the other, while atheism doesn't do that. It is isn't what it does, so Church has a big plus that it offers comfort and care which humungs heed, and atheism, or humanism doesn't offer this.

There are humanist 'churches' which the religious mock as being 'religion', which of course they are not. but somehow I doubt that's the answer to the problem. How do you have a community as an atheist, when everyone else is theist? How do you as an atheist access 'care' in old age, when only theists offer this?

Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I don't think it any big secret that church provides a ready made and easily accessed social life, which atheists would have to make pointed attempts to acquire, and generally being more individualistic probably do not in many cases.
Many societies also provide the benefits a church does.

On one side a church may be more beneficial, but at what cost? Restricted rules, the fear of rejection if you think differently, the conflict between the moral outlook of a member and that of the church?

That is why I asked, how do people know a church provides the best sense of community?

Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
How to defeat atheism in 2 minutes?
Assuming they value their lives, show them research indicating, “Religious people live four years longer than atheists.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8396866.html

So, as the longest lived citizens are from Hong Kong and Japan, perhaps Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism or Shintoism might be the way to go. Interestingly, the most religious country on the planet, USA doesn't even come in the top 13 of longest lived citizens.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7335321.html

Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So, as the longest lived citizens are from Hong Kong and Japan, perhaps Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism or Shintoism might be the way to go. Interestingly, the most religious country on the planet, USA doesn't even come in the top 13 of longest lived citizens.
1.) In all fairness, the U.S.A. is a fairly new (capitalist) country.
2.) Most Christians have dismissed the O.T. dietary laws in favor of Paul's tastier version:

…3They will prohibit marriage and require abstinence from certain foods that God has created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4For every creation of God is good, and nothing that is received with thanksgiving should be rejected, 5because it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.…
https://biblehub.com/1_timothy/4-4.htm

Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 AM

It's interesting that this is not the reason given in Acts for eating all kinds of foods. It is because God has said that He wants you to. Paul has to argue that prayer and so -on has made it 'clean'. This isn't even Jesus' argument in the gospels. It is clean, because it is - there are no unclean foods and never were.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:24 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's interesting that this is not the reason given in Acts for eating all kinds of foods. It is because God has said that He wants you to. Paul has to argue that prayer and so -on has made it 'clean'. This isn't even Jesus' argument in the gospels. It is clean, because it is - there are no unclean foods and never were.
In some portions of the Bible it's forbidden to eat the scavengers of the Earth, yet in other areas it's okay!?

Old 08-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Many societies also provide the benefits a church does.

On one side a church may be more beneficial, but at what cost? Restricted rules, the fear of rejection if you think differently, the conflict between the moral outlook of a member and that of the church?

That is why I asked, how do people know a church provides the best sense of community?

Since the people in the church largely don't think of it as restrictive, this is a non issue . That churches provide a ready made avenue for source of social life and community is simply a given .

Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

There was a talk on TED on a study done looking at groups that had unusually long lives . Some were religious, others were not. I think the only religious group studied was the 7th Day Adventists, which preach healthy living and eating pretty hard. But it was interesting that on the 4 or 5 factors the study indicated led to longer lives, religion provided many of them as sort of a by product. From memory some were

1) healthier lifestyle ( limited smoking , alcohol, almost no drugs , no hard partying)
2) active social life with friends
3) a sense of purpose . One group in Okinawa, I believe, even had a word for this that loosely translates into English as " the reason I get up in the morning".

None of this need be religious, but religions seem to foster many of these . A non religious friend of mine gets all the above through golfing every day, walking not riding . His reason for getting up is golf, he walks miles through pretty scenery every day, he socialized with friends , and generally eats fruits as snack while he golfs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism