Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 05:40 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Not having to prove anything to who?
To God -believers. That's what the forum is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The size of the brain is not important.

The fact that we have hands to build telescopes, and a more complex language are just 2 of the reasons why we are in a better position to discuss the origins of the universe.
Correct. It's the amount of convolutions that makes for more brain -power. Mind, Whales might be considered up there with dogs chimps and and dolphins as the species with better brains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 06:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What Northsouth is saying truly DOES happen with some people of Facebook. I saw very few of those religious memes until I made Facebook friends with a neighbor. She didn't post one once in a while. She posted them every day. One day I had eight of them show up in my news feed. It was useful to have my neighbor on my Friends list, so I finally removed her from my news feed. I made Friends with a former co-worker and saw the same thing happen (albeit to a lesser extent). Most of these things are "Shares" so you can block the source of the image instead of blocking the friend.

But, to directly answer the question, it can indeed happen to a person a lot. Regardless of a person's religious belief, some people don't want their Facebook experience inundated with religion-based memes

This also happens with politics, sports, and social issues. Some people are virtually obsessed with one part of their lives and feel like they have to share it with everybody else. Some of us aren't interested in those aspects of their lives.
Thanks Mensa. I'm certainly greatful I haven't had any of those problems.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Thanks Mensa. I'm certainly greatful I haven't had any of those problems.
Same here. Another friend of mine just disabled his FB account because of the rash of political memes and comments coming through.

I post mostly pictures of nature/woods/birds/sunsets so I don't think I'm attracting either the religious or political FB crowd.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Animals may not have telescopes but they could have natural senses to such a degree we would call them "psychic" in their abilities. Some atheists might even doubt that such abilities exist.

Many atheists seem to think that the mysterious area inside the circle in the video is not really that small for a human being. My point is, what does a giraffe think about that area? And what makes atheists think that human beings have a special ability to understand vastly more than about the universe than any other creature, potentially even everything there is to know? It seems kind of arrogant doesn't it? Really, they are just making assumptions about the universe based on very little knowledge, and projecting that onto the universe. Speculation is really just nonsense.

To me it's the same kind of arrogance that tells some people the earth is flat.
We too are animals, and before the invention of the telescope, look what our "psychic" abilities led us to believe.

And no, galaxy red shifts are far more than assumptions.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Correct. It's the amount of convolutions that makes for more brain -power. Mind, Whales might be considered up there with dogs chimps and and dolphins as the species with better brains
Thank you. "Convolutions" was the concept I could not put into English. "Convoluted", it sounds so much better than "bumpy", the word I had in mind.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:13 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Animals may not have telescopes but they could have natural senses to such a degree we would call them "psychic" in their abilities. Some atheists might even doubt that such abilities exist.

Many atheists seem to think that the mysterious area inside the circle in the video is not really that small for a human being. My point is, what does a giraffe think about that area? And what makes atheists think that human beings have a special ability to understand vastly more than about the universe than any other creature, potentially even everything there is to know? It seems kind of arrogant doesn't it? Really, they are just making assumptions about the universe based on very little knowledge, and projecting that onto the universe. Speculation is really just nonsense.

To me it's the same kind of arrogance that tells some people the earth is flat.
Then we can just take your speculative post as nonsense as well.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
This is the kind of thing that I find on my fb feed, just wondering what someone's else's take on this is:

I hate it btw, this constant barrage of religious crap and I found his portrayal of the "atheist" very offensive
No atheist will ever be "defeated" by an argument. Indeed for Jesus followers the purpose is not to defeat but to win!!!

Is it a difficult task? Certainly. And can only be accomplished with kind words and even kinder actions. But by argument? Not a chance.

All of you serve a purpose of God by keeping those of us who are Jesus followers humble. In that way you are incredibly important in separating "Christians" as either sheep or goats!

Old 06-03-2018, 12:27 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No atheist will ever be "defeated" by an argument. Indeed for Jesus followers the purpose is not to defeat but to win!!!

Is it a difficult task? Certainly. And can only be accomplished with kind words and even kinder actions. But by argument? Not a chance.

All of you serve a purpose of God by keeping those of us who are Jesus followers humble. In that way you are incredibly important in separating "Christians" as either sheep or goats!
Awesome! I knew I had a purpose.

We're kinda like between the sheep and goats - maybe gheeps or perhaps shoats.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:33 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

I certainly don't think argument is going to work - not on the past evidence, nor will bullying or guile. What would work very well is agreeing to differ, not on who has the evidence on their side, but that one goes on evidence and the other on Faith. That admitted, most of the argument would vanish, as it is constantly trying to argue that evidence supports religion that generates the debate.

No, what would be better is talking about what - if such a situation should come about - place religion could usefully make for itself in a knowingly secular society. Religion has pointed up quite a few areas where they have it over atheism, simply because atheism isn't geared to those things.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I certainly don't think argument is going to work - not on the past evidence, nor will bullying or guile. What would work very well is agreeing to differ, not on who has the evidence on their side, but that one goes on evidence and the other on Faith. That admitted, most of the argument would vanish, as it is constantly trying to argue that evidence supports religion that generates the debate.

No, what would be better is talking about what - if such a situation should come about - place religion could usefully make for itself in a knowingly secular society. Religion has pointed up quite a few areas where they have it over atheism, simply because atheism isn't geared to those things.
You get this because you are smarter than the average bear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism