Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It seems to me that 1 percent of the evil done in the name of religion does not discount the 99 percent of good that it does. But you never hear about the good things, right? How often are good things reported? Never. You know that, don't you? Atheists only focus on the negative aspects of religion, as if there are no positives which greatly outweigh them.

All of this grandstanding for atheism won't get anyone anywhere.
Again you try to change the subject rather than confront the issue. In view of your previous posts, this is unsurprising. Either you stand by your statement about the validation of religion and accept the logical consequences, or you stand down from that position in order to disown them. Anything else is smokescreen.

The certain sign that someone is backed into a corner and has no reasonable response to a post, is that person decides to try and make fun of his or her opponent's user name.

I wonder why you are even here. The folks on this board have never made a secret that we are not interested in claims devoid of evidence, not interested in anecdotal argument, not interested in strained or dishonest logic designed to overcome embarrassing facts, and not interested in serving as the devil du jour for zealots with a missionary impulse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
It seems to me that 1 percent of the evil done in the name of religion does not discount the 99 percent of good that it does. But you never hear about the good things, right? How often are good things reported? Never. You know that, don't you? Atheists only focus on the negative aspects of religion, as if there are no positives which greatly outweigh them.

All of this grandstanding for atheism won't get anyone anywhere.
1. It matters a lot if you're in the 1% that are victims. But let's stop and think of the scope -- the shear numbers -- of people in that 1%.

2. Oh come on. We hear about the good things that religions do all the time. Frankly, you run our noses in it. Locally for me, I constantly hear about the good things several religious groups do from friends of mine who are involved in the local soup kitchen. Of course, one of the churches that is close by the soup kitchen isn't as welcoming when the homeless show up at the church as they are at the soup kitchen several blocks away.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:11 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh come on. We hear about the good things that religions do all the time. Frankly, you run our noses in it. Locally for me, I constantly hear about the good things several religious groups do from friends of mine who are involved in the local soup kitchen. Of course, one of the churches that is close by the soup kitchen isn't as welcoming when the homeless show up at the church as they are at the soup kitchen several blocks away.

When did you last hear of a soup kitchen run by atheists?

Or of any "good" thing done by atheists?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I respect the fact that people in this subforum don't need religion. I accept it and believe it. Absolutely.

But why can't you understand that many people don't have the inner resources to get by without religion. What is wrong with people trying to better themselves the only way they know how, and succeeding in doing so?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
When did you last hear of a soup kitchen run by atheists?

Or of any "good" thing done by atheists?
Hate to tell you this, but there are a number of people who volunteer at the soup kitchen who are atheists. The difference is that we don't need to b led around on a leash. We volunteer on our own.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I respect the fact that people in this subforum don't need religion. I accept it and believe it. Absolutely.

But why can't you understand that many people don't have the inner resources to get by without religion. What is wrong with people trying to better themselves the only way they know how, and succeeding in doing so?
I think we do realize that there are weak people who have no intrinsic sense of morality and need the structure of a religion...or booze...or drugs...or...

Old 06-06-2018, 08:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think we do realize that there are weak people who have no intrinsic sense of morality and need the structure of a religion...or booze...or drugs...or...
But the fact that you call them "weak" means that you are insulting the majority of people.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
But the fact that you call them "weak" means that you are insulting the majority of people.
Are you saying that the majority of religious people do not have the inner strength to deal with issues themselves! You brought up that lack of inner strength yourself perhaps implying that religions folks are not as capable as atheist in dealing with life.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:

Atheists have repeated over and over to you that when religion comes to control our lives or dictate science and laws we have a problem with it.

Your attitude comes across as saying that because religion does some good things atheists should just quietly accept religions and religious people doing whatever they like regardless of how it affects them. Or perhaps you read responses in such manner that you seek to find some word or phrase to launch an attack upon. At this point I am not sure that your claim of respect is any more honest than your statistics.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I think people who have no intrinsic sense of morality are weak. They reach to religion instead of relying on their own attributes.

But hey, I'm seeing a therapist due to a weakness. Most of us are weak in one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism