Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But my question still remains unanswered, were the people of the Bible living any better, either health wise or morally, then did other people at the same stage of civilization? If yes then maybe the Bible helps, I'd no then how do you give credence to its usefulness, if you do not know then you are making unfounded assertions in order to make an unsupported case.
The reason the Bible is useful to me is that it is like snapshot of the human heart in great moments of clarity. I would compare to wartime literature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
When did you last hear of a soup kitchen run by atheists?

Or of any "good" thing done by atheists?
Ah, the old "well I've never heard of it so it doesn't exist" routine. Lame, very lame.

I'm an atheist, and I've heard of such organizations. But I don't wait to volunteer or donate - I just do it, regardless of whether the organization is atheist or not. I can make up my own mind as to whether it's something I want to support, I don't need some religious authority to tell me. One of my favorite charities is Mercy Corps, an organization inspired by religious ideals. But they don't care whether their donors, volunteers or employees are religiously motivated. And I don't care either.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But the fact that you call them "weak" means that you are insulting the majority of people.
Apparently, you think they're weak too. Or was that some other OzzyRules who said "But why can't you understand that many people don't have the inner resources to get by without religion. "

Old 06-07-2018, 08:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
The reason the Bible is useful to me is that it is like snapshot of the human heart in great moments of clarity. I would compare to wartime literature.
Nothing wrong with it being useful to you. It would be better though if you came up with sounder arguments for its validity or maybe it's usefulness.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:00 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Nothing wrong with it being useful to you. It would be better though if you came up with sounder arguments for its validity or maybe it's usefulness.
Why? Do you have plans to get it censored or removed?

Some people find it very useful, and more than that, they feel that they need it. If you don't find it useful then I would say that's a good thing as well.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I find it pretty much useless (except for the light it can help shed on history). I mean, Shakespeare did a pretty good job of making snapshots "...of the human heart in great moments of clarity." At least the society he wrote about is more relevant to modern folks than Bronze Age herders.

Why does your opinion have more validity than mine? That is essentially what you are claiming with your "religion is good" routine.

Like any other human invention, sometimes religion is good. But other times, it's bad. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/w...s-ireland.html

Religious organizations get no free parking from me just because they're religious.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:

Some people find it very useful, and more than that, they feel that they need it. If you don't find it useful then I would say that's a good thing as well.
Why would I want it censored? No I would rather have a discussion on a point that was more thought through then ones like the business owner letting his 500 employees die on the street. Especially since this thread is about defeating an atheist in 2 minutes not bringing up easily defeated religious claims.
But if you prefer to post stuff that does not appear well thought out that's your right.

I have once reported a post to the administrator because it broke the terms of service, it was a personal attack, I think maybe on a religious person. Making bad arguments is not against the terms of service.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
That's the plan. censored from influence on education, the law and politics and out of society as much as possible. And removed to the mythology shelf along with all the other obsolete gods and myths about them.

Quote:
Some people find videos proving a flat earth useful (as astonishing number about, peddling the idiot idea that an aircraft loses rotational momentum as soon as it leaves the ground). If they "Need" it that's up to them, but the rest of us would be better off without it.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalled View Post
I know that If atheists could follow the morals of the Bible, even if they do not believe in a deity, I believe that atheists can better their lives and a great future would be ahead of them.
Killing gays, owning slaves, no, not for me thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalled View Post
I just wish that People would consider the results of their actions instead of seeing the Bible as harsh and so cruel. If people could see that ignoring the Bible morality standards are causing death, suffering, Pain and killing one another and innocent Children. The Bible shows how to live in a safe, clean healthy and family oriented life - in BIBLICAL Days, Once You are Infected with a Disease - You are doomed to a Life of Horrible Suffering, pain, torment, agony, and Death. No CURES, no medical Treatment, no treatment and no painkillers.
Yet we live longer. It is funny how that works out.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:44 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
The gospel stories had a different tone than the OT ones, and the way I read it is that Jesus had a different story to tell.
In Matthew he says to obey ALL the OT laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism