Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The time, need, and usefulness of religion has passed. Religion is now the single biggest threat to the continued advancement (and perhaps even survival) of humanity. The time has come to cast off the beliefs in mythical, magical beings, like a child being divested of the belief in 'Santa Claus', and to realize that *we* are responsible for our destiny.
Agreed...and nicely written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 01:00 PM

12,193 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Quote:
The time, need, and usefulness of religion has passed. Religion is now the single biggest threat to the continued advancement (and perhaps even survival) of humanity. The time has come to cast off the beliefs in mythical, magical beings, like a child being divested of the belief in 'Santa Claus', and to realize that *we* are responsible for our destiny.
Yes!

Old 06-10-2018, 04:56 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
As an adopted Christian, I see it somewhat differently:

Our soul was born in the first hour of the sixth day of the first month of the year Eternal. It was named Humankind and spent its infancy in the Garden of Eden. As a toddler, young Humankind had to be taught some basic lessons in how to become a mature citizen. Humankind began toddlerdom with his first lesson, expulsion from Eden. He was taught many such lessons, the most important being the Ten Commandments. He attended Moses Elementary School.
Humankind achieved puberty and began his adolescence with the death of Jesus Christ. It was then that his ability to conceive eternal life was established. He also began his high school education. He attended Christ High School.
Now he is nearing the end of his high school years, filled with a need to know more complex concepts of life. He is beginning his late teens, filled with rebellion, rejection of his Father's authority, and firm in his belief in his own individuality and independence. The rebellion will continue until young Humankind makes some effort to understand his Father better. Dad will do the rest.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As an adopted Christian, I see it somewhat differently:

Our soul was born in the first hour of the sixth day of the first month of the year Eternal. It was named Humankind and spent its infancy in the Garden of Eden. As a toddler, young Humankind had to be taught some basic lessons in how to become a mature citizen. Humankind began toddlerdom with his first lesson, expulsion from Eden. He was taught many such lessons, the most important being the Ten Commandments. He attended Moses Elementary School.
Humankind achieved puberty and began his adolescence with the death of Jesus Christ. It was then that his ability to conceive eternal life was established. He also began his high school education. He attended Christ High School.
Now he is nearing the end of his high school years, filled with a need to know more complex concepts of life. He is beginning his late teens, filled with rebellion, rejection of his Father's authority, and firm in his belief in his own individuality and independence. The rebellion will continue until young Humankind makes some effort to understand his Father better. Dad will do the rest.
Sounds like Santa for adults. ☺

Old 06-10-2018, 06:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
"Single biggest threat"? That's the most absurd and unsubstantiated claim that some atheists like to make.

Religion will always be around, at least until a personal God-being comes down to earth and makes an official statement. Do you think that's going to happen anytime soon?

Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
It seems a big claim, but I feel the same way. There are a lot of changes humanity has to make in order to get over the serious problems and threats we have, and the kind of thinking that religion thrives on and needs humanity to have to survive is what needs to change. Whether humanity can change is doubtful, but I think the rise in irreligion is a sign that it can happen in America, and, if it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.

i find it curious to see incredulous denial that this is at all possible, and wonder if we are hearing a declaration that they don't want it to be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Sounds like one of the young rebels who doesn't want to move onto the next stage - humanism.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
i find it curious to see incredulous denial that this is at all possible, and wonder if we are hearing a declaration that they don't want it to be possible.
I've had just as many negative experiences with organized religious doctrine. But I don't think org religion in itself is bad. Humans, being the way they are tend to want to organize everything. But it doesn't have to mean an official doctrine. There can be a highly organized religion, but still with a large element of mystery.

Children will always believe in imaginary beings, don't you think? I think most adults will project that mystery onto a mysterious invisible being also.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:52 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The Santa experience as a child was not at all bad. People grow and progress at different rates.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've had just as many negative experiences with organized religious doctrine. But I don't think org religion in itself is bad. Humans, being the way they are tend to want to organize everything. But it doesn't have to mean an official doctrine. There can be a highly organized religion, but still with a large element of mystery.

Children will always believe in imaginary beings, don't you think? I think most adults will project that mystery onto a mysterious invisible being also.
Well, there is where there is this divide between organised religion and non -religious theism, or we might say dogmatic theism and non dogmatic (irreligious) theism. The irreligious ought to be aware of the 'negative' aspects of organised religion and learn more of the negative effects it can have on almost every aspect of society. Theoretically, they ought to be with the "New Atheists" in trying to remove this infestation from society, but in practice fight us, as the idea of a society with (their) religion in it appals them.

Kids do indeed show a lot of instinctive behaviors that are worth understanding. But parents often do think much less instinctively than the kids. It's been well said that both kids and adults believe in Santa, but kids grow out of their Santa -belief by age 8. It's high time the adults grew out of it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Santa experience as a child was not at all bad. People grow and progress at different rates.
Oh yes. The whole Christmas thing was quite magical. I felt quite a sense of loss and let -down at age 15 when it had definitively stopped being Magical. But there was never any question of wanting to go back to belief in Santa, even if it would have been possible.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, there is where there is this divide between organised religion and non -religious theism, or we might say dogmatic theism and non dogmatic (irreligious) theism. The irreligious ought to be aware of the 'negative' aspects of organised religion and learn more of the negative effects it can have on almost every aspect of society. Theoretically, they ought to be with the "New Atheists" in trying to remove this infestation from society, but in practice fight us, as the idea of a society with (their) religion in it appals them.

Oh yes. The whole Christmas thing was quite magical. I felt quite a sense of loss and let -down at age 15 when it had definitively stopped being Magical. But there was never any question of wanting to go back to belief in Santa, even if it would have been possible.
I'm not irreligious because I don't find anything negative about religion. Just like hands, they are useful and necessary, but a hand can be used to do evil. That doesn't mean that we should try to get rid of hands. That sounds crazy to me. It sounds crazy when people say that we should.

It's funny to think you were still believing in Santa (or maybe Father Christmas) at such a late age.

But I think that there is a real magical spirit to Christmas that even adults appreciate. Would you agree with that or not? Is there something wrong with personalizing that spirit? That's what human beings tend to do since most humans understand people more than conceptual ideas. Maybe there is even some truth to that. Why would anyone ever want try to put a stop to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism