Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times

Advertisements

Any atheist feeling remotely defeated yet?

<yawn>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Religion is an organic part of nature. Why would you expect people to act any differently?
Religion is organic? You mean that religion is grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation? Or does it mean that religion is characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms? If the latter, I will agree that religion is derived from people rather than imposed by a god.

That exhausts all the definitions of organic of which I am aware and in all cases, organic is referencing something specific and something physical. I do not know what meaning you meant to convey, but I'm confident that you didn't actually mean "organic."

Last edited by Grandstander; 06-20-2018 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Atheists have in common only one thing with certainty....we do not embrace a belief in a deity. Beyond that we are individuals and as such, resist the idea that we have a common cannon among us.
I think what makes "defeating an atheist" frustrating for many is that we simply can't be pigeon-holed. As opposed to what some people think, atheism isn't a belief structure. At least I certainly don't think it is. What Grandstander, TRANSPONDER, phetaroi, etc etc "believe" isn't necessarily what I "believe." I don't even call it "belief" at all. There is nothing to believe.

We don't point to the Ancient Book of Grandstander, Chapter 7, Verse 7-10 to "prove" atheism. In my opinion, atheists are who they are for various reasons. Unlike Christians, Muslims, Hindus, etc that will all point to a book as their proof. So, their arguments are always the same. And always point back to an ancient text. Or to a presupposed belief they have.

Atheists simply don't have that. Religion is simply not part of a conversation I have.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Religion is an organic part of nature. Why would you expect people to act any differently?

You don't even realize what you just admitted.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Religion is organic? You mean that religion is grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation? Or does it mean that religion is characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms? If the latter, I will agree that religion is derived from people rather than imposed by a god.

That exhausts all the definitions of organic of which I am aware and in all cases, organic is referencing something specific and something physical. I do not know what meaning you meant to convey, but I'm confident that you didn't actually mean "organic."
I mean that religion is natural/biological.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
A) Everything is actually natural, even complex tools made by humans....it was nature which crafted the human and grew the organisms which made tool making possible. (brains and opposable thumbs) To say that a beaver's dam is natural while the Hoover Dam is man made, is an artificial distinction. In that humans are also responsible for creating religions, then those also must be viewed as natural.

It is only when we cross over into the supernatural claims that the problems begin.

B) You are stating that religion is biological? Does that mean you believe that there is some gene which determines a person's belief or lack of the same? Are you arguing that religion is not different from other animal instincts and either you got it or you don't? Are you arguing that if someone is a believer, that means he or she is under the influence of the religion gene and that the non believers are free of this influence?

You may want to drop back ten yards and punt while you think these things through.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
What I mean is that there is a LARGE amount of mystery. Human beings, just like giraffes, will never be able to understand that mystery.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
What I mean is that there is a LARGE amount of mystery. Human beings, just like giraffes, will never be able to understand that mystery.
Okay, now we're getting somewhere, although how any of us were supposed to get the above from what you had been writing, eludes understanding.

Definitely still a mystery, but we can't be certain that it will never be unraveled by humans, or at least by whatever evolution develops to replace humans.

And of course it is giving into the urge to have an immediate answer which is responsible for religion existing. I don't know, I don't know if I or anyone else will ever know, but I'm not going to pour dogma into the gaps just to have some answer.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Religion is not a part of nature.

Religion is simply a belief that arises to explain that which cannot be understood.

The beliefs were later co-opted by certain individuals or groups to maintain power and control over others.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 8,805 times
Quote:
Yes--cultures have invented the concept of deities as a convenient and comforting explanation for natural phenomena, since humans are naturally uncomfortable and afraid of the unknown. Which is exactly why I don't trust religion, since we've got science now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism