Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So you're happy to accept that the 'One God' is Ganesha then?

It makes sense to you... just as long as the 'One God' is the one that YOU believe in huh?
To be honest, I'm not the monotheist that you are trying to paint me as, because I just don't know what the truth is about this. I believing there is Something, and that it is a mystery. And I believe that people are basically good, and that there are not competing gods. So I'm not sure what your problem with me is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 05:48 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To be honest, I'm not the monotheist that you are trying to paint me as, because I just don't know what the truth is about this. I believing there is Something, and that it is a mystery. And I believe that people are basically good, and that there are not competing gods. So I'm not sure what your problem with me is.
My problem with you is that you said ... 'All "gods" are a reflections of the One God.'. I was just wondering which god of the thousands that people claim exist, is the one that you consider to be the 'One God'. As you wrote 'God', that usually implies Yahweh the Hebrew god of war. Is Yahweh the 'One God' as far as you are concerned or are you happy to concede that it might be Ganesha?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,028 times
Quote:
Yes. People have tried to unite different cultures, mainly by showing unity between their religions. I'm sorry that kind of thing offends you so much.
It doesn't offend me in the least. But I do question your ability (to be clear, the ability ANY of us have) to (a) speak for all peoples, over all times; and (b) make universal proclamations about "The One God." When the one unassailable truth is, neither you nor I nor your secular history teacher have any idea. "I don't know" is the honest answer, and that's OK.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Yes. People have tried to unite different cultures, mainly by showing unity between their religions. I'm sorry that kind of thing offends you so much.
So when Christians captured the Earl of Orkney who was a believer in the Norse gods and goddess and gave him the choice of becoming Christian or be killed that was simply a way 9f showing that the two religions were the same. Of course he choose life and all the folks 9f the Orkney Islands instantly became Christians. That is a more common example of how folks were converted then a person showing that all religions wee the same.

And how do you know that it is all gods and goddesses are the one God rather than the religions that only have a single God chose to ignore all the other Gods but one? Your claims are you trying to cherry picking history, ignoring the vast amount of it, in order to justify your belief that there is a single God regardless of religions and we should accept that on your say so. You have not credibility demos rated that the gods are all the same single one or that one even exists. That you make unfounded claims does not offend me either.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
For science worshipers my approach is simple.

It is considered a scientific fact that since the universe is infinite, every thing that can happen has happened correct?

Is it possible for God to exist? If they say no, a little cross examination will compel them to admit it is, in fact, possible.

Then he does.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:43 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

It is considered a scientific fact that since the universe is infinite, every thing that can happen has happened correct?

Is it possible for God to exist? If they say no, a little cross examination will compel them to admit it is, in fact, possible.

Then he does.
Along with every other god by your 'logic', which means your one and only god can not exist.

And many definitions of your most improbable god preclude the existence of that god. Which is why many Christians argue their god exists by proving that it can not.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 AM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Brilliant and just what the believers want to hear.

But he wouldn't last two minutes with an atheist who knows what he's talking about.
He wouldn't last 1 min with you, I figure you are the best out there though.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So when Christians captured the Earl of Orkney who was a believer in the Norse gods and goddess and gave him the choice of becoming Christian or be killed that was simply a way 9f showing that the two religions were the same. Of course he choose life and all the folks 9f the Orkney Islands instantly became Christians. That is a more common example of how folks were converted then a person showing that all religions wee the same.

And how do you know that it is all gods and goddesses are the one God rather than the religions that only have a single God chose to ignore all the other Gods but one? Your claims are you trying to cherry picking history, ignoring the vast amount of it, in order to justify your belief that there is a single God regardless of religions and we should accept that on your say so. You have not credibility demos rated that the gods are all the same single one or that one even exists. That you make unfounded claims does not offend me either.
Another good example is what happened to the indigenous people of Latin and South America.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

Then he does.
No. Just because it's possible for god to exist does not mean that he does exist.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:

Then he does.
Uh... no. That is not correct.

Not.
At.
All.

It is not known whether or not the universe is infinite.

So the assumption on which you're predicating your 'scientific fact' is faulty in and of itself. Beyond that, it is by no means a 'scientific fact' that, if the universe is infinite, that everything that can happen has happened. For example, it does not mean that somewhere, sometime, there was a purple unicorn named Larry that farted rainbows. Or the one particularly deity that you desperately want to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism