Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. It's the old theist ploy of....

'These are the rules that apply to everything in order for it to exist. Oh by the way! My god is exempt to the rules that must apply to everything.'

Otherwise known as special pleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 12:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Yes. It's the old theist ploy of....

'These are the rules that apply to everything in order for it to exist. Oh by the way! My god is exempt to the rules that must apply to everything.'
That is why all gods must be designer gods, the believer must always be updating characteristics so that it resists any tests of invalidity. And in the end we are always presented with a god which we must accept solely on the believer's say so because it is otherwise untestable.

Faith is not actually a virtue at all, it is a device.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Faith is not actually a virtue at all, it is a device.
Quite so! It has always puzzled me why believers see 'faith' as something to be applauded, something worthy and something that they must strive to achieve and improve when, in fact, it is the most idiotic thing imaginable! Believing something is true when there is no verifiable evidence that it is and in so many cases, much verifiable evidence that it isn't true, defies all logic, reason and common sense.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:58 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
That is why all gods must be designer gods...
"God never errs,
so He -
of course concurs
with Me."

Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Quite so! It has always puzzled me why believers see 'faith' as something to be applauded, something worthy and something that they must strive to achieve and improve when, in fact, it is the most idiotic thing imaginable! Believing something is true when there is no verifiable evidence that it is and in so many cases, much verifiable evidence that it isn't true, defies all logic, reason and common sense.
Worse is that this unverifiable belief will be presented by the subscriber as the single most important belief of his or her life, elevating it to "sacred" status and expecting automatic reverence for it as a consequence.

It isn't the sort of thing which should, or probably could be legislated out of existence, so I will respect someone's right to have a religious faith, but I do not wish them to confuse that with a respect for the faith itself.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Worse is that this unverifiable belief will be presented by the subscriber as the single most important belief of his or her life, elevating it to "sacred" status and expecting automatic reverence for it as a consequence.

It isn't the sort of thing which should, or probably could be legislated out of existence, so I will respect someone's right to have a religious faith, but I do not wish them to confuse that with a respect for the faith itself.
This is the crux of a current political argument - too many theists think that respecting their right to believe as they wish means that no one can tell them they're wrong. Um, no.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

A very good way to state it.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This is the crux of a current political argument - too many theists think that respecting their right to believe as they wish means that no one can tell them they're wrong. Um, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A very good way to state it.
Quite so old things! Religion has had it too good for too long. They have demanded (and received) 'respect' for their 'beliefs' for too long and we have had enough of it. Enter... 'Militant Atheist'.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:51 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
That same reverence is, of course, never applied to faiths other than the one subscribed to by the adherant, even when they are seperated by a miniscule variation of the same faith.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That same reverence is, of course, never applied to faiths other than the one subscribed to by the adherant, even when they are seperated by a miniscule variation of the same faith.
Until an atheist comes along. Then they are all brothers and sisters against the none believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism