Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since you ask, first I'll just share that it's been my view that screen names often say a lot about a person and the state of their ego.

The posts by those who disagree with you are no more provocative, absurd, or nonsensical then your own...just looking at something from a different perspective. In fact, what you just said, paraphrased, is that people who disagree with you about religion are, "Provocative by their absurd nonsensical content". No, we vehemently disagree with many of your posts. As does much of the world. You seem to be living in an echo chamber. You start MANY threads, and you seem to think that the result should be that people just say, "Well, Ozzy rules". There's that ego.

How are you supposed to respond? Perhaps by occasionally seeing the basis for some of what people disagree with you about. For example, as an atheist I acknowledge that there probably was a Jesus Christ. I've said several times that there is nothing wrong with having "faith" until the ego blinds the faithful and they can no longer see the difference between faith and fact. I've acknowledged that there is some wisdom in parts of the New Testament. But it seems as if you feel you have win every discussion, and to accomplish that you sometimes try to restrict how another poster may respond to one of your threads.
I agree with most of what you said. But I don't try to win every argument. To be honest I tend to agree with atheists on many things, and I tend to side with atheists on many things. But some of the ones in this thread are not just an attack on MYSELF, it's an attack on most people living today and throughout history. Since, as you know, most people are not atheists.

Yours is not like most of the responses in this thread since you give a small acknowledgement of the Bible being useful to some people. I get the feeling many of the people responding here would ridicule that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yup, we're back to "I'm not winning, so this thread should be closed."
Your idea of "winning" is to start by outnumbering your opponent 100 to 1, since I seem to be the only non-atheist in this thread. That is an absurd definition of "winning" and I have another name for that.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Your idea of "winning" is to start by outnumbering your opponent 100 to 1, since I seem to be the only non-atheist in this thread. That is an absurd definition of "winning" and I have another name for that.

I'm not an atheist. If that's any consolation....

Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm not an atheist. If that's any consolation....
I know. I have exaggerated a bit to make a point.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
No, that isn't my idea of winning an argument. Why on earth do you think that? Arguments are won by good reasoning, not numbers.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, that isn't my idea of winning an argument. Why on earth do you think that? Arguments are won by good reasoning, not numbers.
You must have won the argument since more people here seem to agree with you.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
You must have won the argument since more people here seem to agree with you.
In that jacqueg's post stated the opposite of what you are responding to, and in that all of your responses to me were evasive and featured a change of topic rather than something related to my posts, my conclusion is that you have some severe comprehension problems. Either that or you deliberately elect to overlook any information, statement, fact or assertion, which in any manner contradicts your thinking.

You have been wasting people's time here with this for weeks now. Several times it has been explained to you that apart from not believing in a god, atheists do not necessarily have anything else in common, no shared creed, no political party...nothing else. Despite this, you have continued to write "atheists think.." or "atheists do..." just as though atheists were some sort of collective apart from the non belief in a god. One wonders why the light bulb has failed to illuminate for you.

I am left wondering if there is any point to writing anything directed at you. Either you do not understand it or you are pretending not to understand it.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Grandstander, I have never grouped "ALL" atheists into one group like you have claimed. Especially not repeatedly like you also claim.

So pretty much everything else you might say in your post is going to be something that I should regard as nonsense, correct? Thank you

Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
There have been a lot of provocative posts addressed to me.
That is completely irrelevant. I asked you a simple 'yes' or 'no' question. Are you cognitively deficient, incapable of comprehending the question and formulating the appropriate response?

Quote:
Provocative by their absurd nonsensical content. How am I supposed to respond to that kind of nonsense?
You are deflecting and dissembling. This is not relevant in the slightest.

Let's try again, if selecting from 'yes' or 'no' is not too difficult for you:

Quote:
Do you think that an act of provocation by one person, that generates a response from another person, engenders no shred of responsibility of causality on the part of the first person?

Old 07-04-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That is completely irrelevant. I asked you a simple 'yes' or 'no' question. Are you cognitively deficient, incapable of comprehending the question and formulating the appropriate response?

You are deflecting and dissembling. This is not relevant in the slightest.

Let's try again, if selecting from 'yes' or 'no' is not too difficult for you:
Yes, I think that some of my posts might be provocative to some atheists. But there are probably even more atheists who couldn't care less about what I think. But that is why I thought that the thread should be closed or moved. It's pretty simple. I sometimes forget which subforum I am posting in, as I tend to speak freely. Maybe I shouldn't speak so freely without first respecting the hierarchy here.

I should treat atheists with more respect, is that what you are saying then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism