Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 04:03 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
People here are doing that too and they are using the county links to clinics which clearly state you have to be tier 1A but they clearly don't meet that criteria. Surprisingly they go to the clinic and no one questions their eligibility so they brag on facebook about how a healthy 40 year old just fooled the system and got vaccinated.
There are jerks everywhere, I'm afraid.

Quote:
All the while my husband who is 77 and has stage 4 kidney disease is told by his doctor that it will be "sometime in February" before he can be vaccinated.
I'm sorry. We were told a few months ago that it would probably be March or April before we'd get our shots. So February looks good to us. DH turns 70 in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 04:50 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
While I can see the logic to wanting to get high risk people vaccinated, it doesn't feel fair. Yeh, just light up a cig and pretend to be a smoker or go on an ice cream eating binge and you go to the head of the line. Whereas. with age, it's beyond your control.

This is meant to be tongue in cheek, of course, but I think a lot of us are getting sick of waiting. Dh is 80 yrs old, had a stroke, and I'm reluctant to take him to his appointments due to COVID. He also needrs PT. But his first vaccination isn't until March 10th.
My turn isn't until fall 2021 (general public group). Be thankful you're not in my group.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:09 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Obesity doesn't get you moved to the front of the line here. I had to do a screening online to get a vaccine appt. There were only four conditions that qualified you. They were heart disease, COPD, diabetes and chronic kidney disease.

I went from a BMI of 43 to BMI 30 last year so I wouldn't have qualified today if morbid obesity was a concern.
I'm saying that in many cases diseases like diabetes and heart disease are obesity-related or lifestyle-related, just as smoking is. Not all cases but certainly many. Just as most COPD cases are smoking related. Our list is much longer in NJ, about a dozen if I recall.

I don't have a problem with those people being moved up, I just don't see the difference in being upset that smoking moves you up but being fine with people with obesity-related illnesses being moved up. "His poor habits are acceptable to me, hers are not" kind of judgement.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My turn isn't until fall 2021 (general public group). Be thankful you're not in my group.
That's messed up! Don't know what's going on there but I read SC is one of the bottom 5 states in administering the vaccine so far.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:56 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's messed up! Don't know what's going on there but I read SC is one of the bottom 5 states in administering the vaccine so far.
All our vaccines are 100% accounted for..either in arms or scheduled.
We only get 63,000 per week and this week only got 25% of that.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/01/19/...-distribution/
South Carolina has been receiving about 63,000 doses a week, but data from the CDC shows that the state ranks last doses per capita. According to the CDC, South Carolina has received 6,808 doses per 100,000 people. Meanwhile, states like North Carolina and Georgia have received well over 9,000 doses per 100,000 people.

DHEC leaders have said they’ve been in touch with the CDC and Operation Warp Speed to figure out if the data is correct.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
While I can see the logic to wanting to get high risk people vaccinated, it doesn't feel fair.
A fair is a place farmers bring their prized tomatoes and pigs.

Life isn't fair. Then you die.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:12 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All our vaccines are 100% accounted for..either in arms or scheduled.
We only get 63,000 per week and this week only got 25% of that.
Summit County UT is only getting 400 doses per week with about 42K to 44K people in the county (the population has been swelling with the pandemic).

The County is using its meager 400 dose allocation for healthy young people who do not live in the County but work in the county and are members of the powerful teacher's union or who work in the school district as groundskeepers or paper-pushing work-from-home deskworkers. Oh, the schools are closed for now.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
After frustration with the Eventbrite system, our county implemented a registration system through Everbridge which is also used for county emergency notifications. 40,000 registrations were made within the first 1/2 hour it opened today. I registered for both of us. So now we wait to be notified. They had staff for phone registrations also.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-20-2021 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-20-2021, 01:00 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
We got our first shot today and appointment for the second . Shot was painless and the needle was not as large as those they keep showing on TV.i

Last edited by Southern man; 01-20-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 06:20 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Summit County UT is only getting 400 doses per week with about 42K to 44K people in the county (the population has been swelling with the pandemic).

The County is using its meager 400 dose allocation for healthy young people who do not live in the County but work in the county and are members of the powerful teacher's union or who work in the school district as groundskeepers or paper-pushing work-from-home deskworkers. Oh, the schools are closed for now.
My healthy 24 yo daughter who falls into 1A was vaccinated this afternoon. Made us miss the Inauguration. Even so, I strongly disagree with the CDC approach to prioritize by vocation (outside of HCRs directly exposed to patients). This pandemic has reached the stage where covid is no longer found primarily among the socially and vocationally active. If anything, they are statistically more likely to have already had covid with some degree of immunity in essence 'wasting' those vaccines.

That's certainly true for some of her co-workers.

Covid is now so widespread that those most likely to be hospitalized should be prioritized. Few elderly outside of nursing homes are being vaccinated in our County. The recent change to more highly prioritize the elderly just added them on the earlier priorities but not stopped the emphasis on the vocational categories.

Here, too, teachers are now being prioritized with our schools also closed for the entire semester. Again, that helps me personally - my DD's BF with whom she lives is a teacher - but it's inane for there's plenty of time to allocate later vaccine shipments to that category prior to the fall 2021 semester.

Given the earlier snafu's with passed-around vocational links, it was interesting to see how it's now being handled. DD needed more than her link-generated appointment, personal photo ID, work photo ID. The County now, in addition, requires a letter on letterhead to her specifically from the agency covid coordinator that lists her appointment day & time.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-20-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement