Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 07:43 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I recently returned home from a road trip from VA to MS to visit my mother who fell and broke her hip. Once I got to my mothers house, I didn’t leave until I was coming home. I researched where to spend the night (it’s a 12 hour drive) and decided on Knoxville, TN. While TN doesn’t have a mask order, Knoxville does. I stayed there both going and coming and felt as safe as one can. I didn’t see a single person at the hotel without a mask. I wiped down my room even though it had been cleaned. However, I had to stop both going and coming for gas and bathroom breaks. I stopped in Scottsboro, AL on the way and Morristown, TN coming home. Both places were surreal. It was if they had not turned on the news since January. I was the ONLY person wearing a mask. No signs asking people to social distance, no marks on the floor. I got in and out as fast as I could and doused myself in hand sanitizer.
Lots of resistance around here to the wearing of a mask, even though we have the most cases in the Upper Cumberland area. The local regional medical center has stopped doing elective surgery that requires an overnight stay due to the increased hospitalizations for the virus. But so many people continue to believe that the virus is no big deal. Should be interesting to see how it goes when schools reopen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We received two masks each in the mail from Humana, our Medicare supplement provider. They are washable, comfortable and fit well. It’s a free advertisement for them, proactive, smart on their part and I appreciate it.
After reading your post, I checked our mails (which we store in a box for at least 3 days) and found 2 envelopes each contains 2 Human masks. They look very nice.

I am washing some clean-room face masks (leftover from my research/working days) and will line the inside of the Humana's cloth masks for extra protection.

In the beginning of our shelter-in-place, we were using some homemade shop towel masks (which are supposedly to be at N90 level) whenever we went shopping. After having to squeeze past a group of at least a dozen mask-less men to get to the next open service window at a local store, I decided to only a wear N95 mask!

We had 4 N95 masks (bought long ago for our deck refinishing project). We gave 2 to our daughter and SIL (who work in a vet clinic and a hospital). We have been reusing our N95 masks and have had no-luck in buying new ones.

I hope that the Humana cloth masks with a clean-room fabric liner should be almost or as effective as N95 masks.

Idaho Covid chart is showing that we are in a second wave which is ~ 3-4x worse than the first wave in early April with the highest risk locations smacked in where we live! Ada county (where our daughter lives) had implemented a mask policy a week or two ago. Canyon county (where we live) was holding a public health meeting this morning to discuss mask policy but it was cancelled when Ammon Bundy and protesters showed up.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/he...ef=exit-recirc

We have always worn masks but would feel a lot safer if everybody is wearing them. I am glad that stores like Costco, Walmart and Kohls have mask policies.

Last edited by BellaDL; 07-16-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 03:28 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
After reading your post, I checked our mails (which we store in a box for at least 3 days) and found 2 envelopes each contains 2 Human masks. They look very nice.

I am washing some clean-room face masks (leftover from my research/working days) and will line the inside of the Humana's cloth masks for extra protection.

In the beginning of our shelter-in-place, we were using some homemade shop towel masks (which are supposedly to be at N90 level) whenever we went shopping. After having to squeeze past a group of at least a dozen mask-less men to get to the next open service window at a local store, I decided to only a wear N95 mask!

We had 4 N95 masks (bought long ago for our deck refinishing project). We gave 2 to our daughter and SIL (who work in a vet clinic and a hospital). We have been reusing our N95 masks and have had no-luck in buying new ones.

I hope that the Humana cloth masks with a clean-room fabric liner should be almost or as effective as N95 masks.

Idaho Covid chart is showing that we are in a second wave which is ~ 3-4x worse than the first wave in early April with the highest risk locations smacked in where we live! Ada county (where our daughter lives) had implemented a mask policy a week or two ago. Canyon county (where we live) was holding a public health meeting this morning to discuss mask policy but it was cancelled when Ammon Bundy and protesters showed up.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/he...ef=exit-recirc

We have always worn masks but would feel a lot safer if everybody is wearing them. I am glad that stores like Costco, Walmart and Kohls have mask policies.
Publix grocery chain is requiring masks beginning next Tuesday. Most everyone wears them in our store anyway, but there’s always a few that don’t.

I accidentally went into our library without a mask earlier this week and when I realized it, I felt like it was one of those dreams where I was on a bus with only a slip on. I was returning a book and the outside drop off had been removed and moved inside the first set of doors. I didn’t see it and went through the inner doors and was directed to the drop-off. I don’t put a mask on when I’m outside and didn’t plan on going in. I didn’t ask why returns were moved inside, it looked like the outside return is permanently gone.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:02 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
I had to buy a refrigerator today

All of the sales folks in the local mom n pop appliance store were wearing masks. I had my mask on. A 30-40 something customer did not have a mask on.

While I was paying for the refrigerator, I commented that one of their repairmen, who has always worked on our appliances these last 17 years, is one of the reasons I chose to buy the refrigerator from them.

I honestly had the hair stand up on my arms when the sales gal lowered her voice and said he is on a ventilator at a bigger hospital than ours, with Covid19. He is hanging on. His mom also tested positive but does not have any symptoms.

Reading about this crap is one thing, actually knowing someone who has it and they are on a ventilator is a whole different level of realization.

The mayor of this particular town (population ~21,000) did not mandate wearing masks but he strongly urged everyone to do so. We are a small AG County and the Covid19 head count is close to 400 - a ridiculously high amount considering we are fairly rural.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:20 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
For too many people, the pandemic is not real until somebody close to them dies.

Personally, I assume everyone I see is infected. Wearing a mask is such a simple thing.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
I saw a guy on TV news being interviewed about why he didn't wear a mask.
He figures that everyone is going to die sometime. Why worry about Covid 19.
Sadly I think there is a population out there who has the same belief.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I saw a guy on TV news being interviewed about why he didn't wear a mask.
He figures that everyone is going to die sometime. Why worry about Covid 19.
Sadly I think there is a population out there who has the same belief.
He's more than likely one of those dudes that can quote you the 34,000 "flu" deaths each year. But those flu patients don't fill up the hospital ICU wards and take up all the ventilator beds before they expire. I read somewhere that 30% of the ventilator patients don't make it out of hospital alive. Pretty soon the doctors will have to triage the ventilators -- if you're vital signs are fading, they'll unplug you and hook up the next patient.

If that guy won't wear a mask......he probably won't wash his hands either. You'll see him smelling his fingers after he goes to the toilet.

Put a mask on !! With a half a mouthful ofdirty teeth like that.........you should be begging to wear a mask.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
For too many people, the pandemic is not real until somebody close to them dies.

Personally, I assume everyone I see is infected. Wearing a mask is such a simple thing.
its the correct way to look at it i do the same all are infected

Old 07-17-2020, 05:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
He's more than likely one of those dudes that can quote you the 34,000 "flu" deaths each year. But those flu patients don't fill up the hospital ICU wards and take up all the ventilator beds before they expire. I read somewhere that 30% of the ventilator patients don't make it out of hospital alive. Pretty soon the doctors will have to triage the ventilators -- if you're vital signs are fading, they'll unplug you and hook up the next patient.

If that guy won't wear a mask......he probably won't wash his hands either. You'll see him smelling his fingers after he goes to the toilet.

Put a mask on !! With a half a mouthful ofdirty teeth like that.........you should be begging to wear a mask.
exactly

Old 07-18-2020, 07:58 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Results take a week or two, I don't know why other than so many people being tested,

Thank you for your well wishes.
That's weird. My neighbor was tested and had results back the next day.

I had the antibody test last week and had results back the next day, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement