Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 03:42 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times

Advertisements

The account above, I suppose, justifies to some extent why here in Australia we have to live with so many border closures in order to keep the virus at bay. Some people simply will not think of anyone but themselves.

It is fun and games here in Victoria with so many players who have flown in for the Open Tennis now in strict quarantine. They are complaining bitterly, all the Aussie stuck overseas are complaining bitterly because the sports stars are given priority, the Victorians who are stuck in other states and not allowed to return home are complaining very bitterly (and I don’t blame them). The Victorian premier, who has almost the status of a saint at times, may find his popularity on a rapid decline.

If nothing is done to try to control this virus the situation becomes chaotic (Sicily went into another strict lockdown last night) But successful control of the virus requires really drastic measures which take away basic human rights.

I hope they organise our vaccine roll out properly. It does not start for another month so let’s hope they are working as hard on the logistics as they say! The first lot here look like going to everyone involved with border control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 04:41 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
In NJ?
Yes. I'm not sure now if it wasn't a joke as someone on the other thread suggested. Hard to tell if there's no emoji attached!

Old 01-17-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's turned into a free for all. They went for shots and were not turned away. Maybe they said they had chronic conditions ? That's part of phase 1B and you don't have to prove it.
My niece told me today people were getting vaccinated at her hospital just walking up! Meanwhile I'm following rules and have an appointment March 10. A new mega site is opening next week which her hospital is in charge of and she's trying to get me advance info so I can get in so we will see. I'm.still mad that my 89 year old mom in assisted living still hasn't been vaccinated.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:17 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My niece told me today people were getting vaccinated at her hospital just walking up! Meanwhile I'm following rules and have an appointment March 10. A new mega site is opening next week which her hospital is in charge of and she's trying to get me advance info so I can get in so we will see. I'm.still mad that my 89 year old mom in assisted living still hasn't been vaccinated.

I can't imagine how stressful that is for you.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can't imagine how stressful that is for you.
It is, thank you.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:48 AM

I may have trashed the system here prematurely. As I said I registered for an appointment on Jan 6 and was told wait to get an email. Because all the appointments seemed to be gone I assumed I was being skipped for doing what they told me to do. But today I got an email from the state saying it was my turn and providing a link to make an appointment. Apparently they do reserve many appointments if not most for people who have registered on the New Jersey website. I have an appointment for this Thursday for my first shot!

Old 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Sorry if this info was already posted.
New research is showing the efficacy of the vaccines is age-determinate. Pfizer has a 93.8 % efficacy and Moderna only has a 86.4 % efficacy for people 65 and older.

There’s some other good info and stats in article
https://humanevents.com/2021/01/11/c...d-19-pandemic/

Old 01-18-2021, 01:05 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
If nothing is done to try to control this virus the situation becomes chaotic (Sicily went into another strict lockdown last night) But successful control of the virus requires really drastic measures which take away basic human rights.
I agree. If you have 20-20 hindsight (ooh, 2020- get it?), doing nothing and figuring herd immunity would take effect was wrong. Lockdowns in varying degrees did some but weren't enough- Germany, UK, US, etc. are still struggling and case counts continue to increase. And now people weary of lockdowns are violating them.

One country, Taiwan, which has a population the size of FL, has had 855 TOTAL cases and 7 deaths- but they're an island, it's easier to control who goes in and out, and quarantining of anyone coming in is mandatory. You have a smartphone app that tracks your whereabouts and they call you at random. If you went out and left it at home, they come after you. Stats are from a site I just checked today; info on monitoring was from a BBC podcast a few weeks ago.

And remember the 18-year old American girl who went to the Caymans, violated the mandatory quarantine to watch her boyfriend's jetski race and was sentenced to 4 months in prison? Her Grandma wrote to President Trump asking for help. ("When I talk to her she cries all the time. She wants to come home.")

Not something we can do in the USA.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:34 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I may have trashed the system here prematurely. As I said I registered for an appointment on Jan 6 and was told wait to get an email. Because all the appointments seemed to be gone I assumed I was being skipped for doing what they told me to do. But today I got an email from the state saying it was my turn and providing a link to make an appointment. Apparently they do reserve many appointments if not most for people who have registered on the New Jersey website. I have an appointment for this Thursday for my first shot!
Based on what I have read, my state NM, has a similar system. You register and once your subgroup comes up, they randomly select people from that subgroup and send you a code and list of available appointments. Someone on the NM CD subforum who is in the current 75+ subgroup and lives in a small town had no problem getting vaccinated. But I am concerned because my subgroup, chronic conditions 16+, which is up next will be half the state with 60+ much farther down the line after certain essential workers and persons in congregate settings (prisons, homeless shelters, etc.). And I live in the largest metro area in the state with about half the entire population. I am hoping that the NM system will allow one to select vaccination locations in other counties. Some in other states have reported that it was much easier to get appointments in less populated counties and I am willing to travel a few hours to get vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Sorry if this info was already posted.
New research is showing the efficacy of the vaccines is age-determinate. Pfizer has a 93.8 % efficacy and Moderna only has a 86.4 % efficacy for people 65 and older.

There’s some other good info and stats in article
https://humanevents.com/2021/01/11/c...d-19-pandemic/
I cannot open the link but thanks for the information and will investigate. Previously had heard that Moderna was better for seniors.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:41 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
It is funny but some things you get used to easily and others really grate. In our state, since Jan 1st, we have had to use the state government app to log in to many places whereas before there were often paper and pencil records or different apps. People are adapting really well, it makes you remember your phone. Unlike Taiwan nobody calls you randomly but your phone info is used by the tracers if need be.

But the masks. I am not anti-mask per se but I cannot help but think that all the mask wearing around the world does not seem to have had the effect of squashing the virus. We have come into the hot and humid part of the year and we currently have to mask up for many indoor locations. Much of the conversation is about how to stop glasses fogging up because of the masks.

The border closures affect some people not at all. For others it is heartbreaking. People seem quite happy not to be able to go on overseas holidays (I mean, why would you want to!) but if you have close family you cannot see that is another thing altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement