Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 05:13 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
No, you CAN'T get Covid from fomites, except under unusual, laboratory conditions. There's some good scientific reasons behind why not, basic properties of enveloped viruses, but I suspect you don't want to listen to the science, so I'll stop here, except for saying that even the CDC has dropped their warnings on fomites.

Cleaning supply companies have made a lot of money from these false claims of fomite transmission, but that's no reason to perpetuate them.

Wow. Why is everyone so extreme today? The CDC still cautions against contaminated surfaces.

So to repeat what I said, I do not see a lot of danger from surfaces (for me, personally), but I certainly wouldn't tell people there is no danger until the CDC and other scientific entities say such.

It's a new virus, and studies say a bunch of different things, so I tend to err on the side of caution until the science community gets a consensus.

I still won't be wiping down my groceries. I DO take extra precautions about touching my face though.

There seems to be a shortage of chill pills, along with the vaccine shortage.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Oh well, Connecticut has vaccinated all residents of nursing homes and there is a definite decline in COVID cases. I assume the care givers who work there were vaccinated too, although I read that some of them refused the vaccine. 90% of the nursing home residents received the vaccine.

They're almost done with assisted living facilities and they're supposed to be on to the over age 75 group. Problem is, there is only one phone line so people can't get though. A lot of them can't use a computer and anyway the appointment process online is a mess. I don't know how these people are going to get vaccinated but I know of a few who went online and have appointments in late Feb. and March.

Next will be teachers and I think, grocery store employees. If all goes well and there is enough vaccine. It's kind of a confused mess.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:21 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
For our Bay Area friends...

Stanford Health Care has opened up COVID-19 vaccines to residents of San Mateo County or Santa Clara County over the age of 65.

Also eligible are health care workers who are patients of Stanford Health Care and/or work in Santa Clara or San Mateo Counties.

Call 650-498-9000 to schedule.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:08 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here, people who've gotten their first shot at State Farm Stadium (a 24/7 POD site in Glendale) will receive an email with a link to schedule the second shot. A bank of appointments as well as vaccine has been reserved for second shots, but only if you got the first one at State Farm Stadium.

I like the way they're alleviating the worry that the vaccine for the second shot may not be available.
Well here in NJ it seems a mess. I got an e-mail to make my appointment for the second shot but it seems I'm back in the same pool as people competing for appointments for their first shot. I have spent the past 2 days refreshing pages to no avail. I'm concerned I won't get the second shot. My niece's hospital makes appointments for the 2nd shot after the first, right then and there. There should be one standard procedure for every site.

What are the people doing who didn't get the shot at the stadium?

Old 01-24-2021, 07:32 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t see a problem with prioritizing vaccinations to essential workers in certain socioeconomic classes, if those classes were the most impacted by Covid and had more deaths. To me it makes more sense to vaccinate Walmart workers and bus drivers than hospitals vaccinating dermatologists and office workers who are working from home.
I've looked for anything that says frontline workers at Walmart, Costco, Sam's, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's and the like are incurring more infections. Have you found anything that indicates higher impact?

Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
To be fair, the vocational groupings - some of of which were based on racial and socioeconomic factors - started with the CDC recommendations. The prior administration placed greater focus on the elderly mid-stream in December. Various state governors followed. It's a mess with - absolutely - various advocates who fought for early inclusion not now wanting to lose that early priority.

What we have in our state are those over 65 now eligible - as of January 25th - for a vaccine on the state level - earlier than expected - but those who actually administer them too short of vaccine to include them. That's led to a lot of confusion and frustration.
Those over 65 won't be eligible here for a long time - maybe June, depending on how much vaccine is shipped to Utah.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Well here in NJ it seems a mess. I got an e-mail to make my appointment for the second shot but it seems I'm back in the same pool as people competing for appointments for their first shot. I have spent the past 2 days refreshing pages to no avail. I'm concerned I won't get the second shot. My niece's hospital makes appointments for the 2nd shot after the first, right then and there. There should be one standard procedure for every site.

A distribution strategy that would be appropriate for NYC or other large urban areas probably wouldn’t be that effective here in small town Tennessee.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
No, you CAN'T get Covid from fomites, except under unusual, laboratory conditions. There's some good scientific reasons behind why not, basic properties of enveloped viruses, but I suspect you don't want to listen to the science, so I'll stop here, except for saying that even the CDC has dropped their warnings on fomites.

Cleaning supply companies have made a lot of money from these false claims of fomite transmission, but that's no reason to perpetuate them.
Without getting into the science - just the implications - are you saying inside a home, wiping down commonly touched surfaces is essentially useless? How about the scenario where one resident is positive and trying to isolate in a separate bedroom, while others who have not (yet) positive are trying to avoid the virus? And in a car - the steering wheel and other commonly touched surfaces?

Old 01-24-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A distribution strategy that would be appropriate for NYC or other large urban areas probably wouldn’t be that effective here in small town Tennessee.
Yes.

That is why the Federal Government delegated responsibility to States and Counties who understand realities at the local level - or at least, understand them better than someone who works in DC.

The strategy was sound. The implementation across the country has shown to be effective in certain locations and massively ineffective in others.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:21 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:

The set-up here in the Phoenix metro is two mass vaccination sites run by the state: Phoenix Municipal Stadium and State Farm Stadium. As far as I know, every other site is under local or tribal jurisdiction. Safeway is supposed to be giving the Moderna vaccine. From what I've heard they haven't received it yet. They have their own scheduling system. We signed up for it weeks ago but they didn't say if they'll be scheduling the second shot right after you get the first.

You don't have to get the second shot at the same site you got the first but it does have to be the same vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement